Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.



Windows 7: what books on Win7 are recommended

13 Oct 2009   #1

Win 7 Ultimate RC1
 
 
what books on Win7 are recommended

I am getting Home Premium in 9 days and wanted a good text to learn Windows 7. I am not a "noob" completely. I have had a PC running Win OS's since Windows 3.1.

But, I went to Barnes & Nobles today and was overwhelmed by the number of Windows 7 books.
I would like to hear some recommendations from people who have actually bought a book before I drop $40 - $60.

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Oct 2009   #2

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

Wow didn't know that there where books out already for Windows 7...
My guess is that a lot of those books where written on the RC that has been out for a while now. Best run if you are really looking to get a book on Win 7 make sure MS writes the book, the others might be using an older build of win 7 to "base" their ideas on how the OS "should" work, but MS has known for a long time about what the Final Release will have and have had a major head start on the book running process.
Remember this is just my two cents about the subject.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #3
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I have this book for Vista. It is excellent. Now there is also a Windows 7 edition. Although I have not bought it yet I am sure it will fit the bill: ( Windows 7: The Missing Manual - O'Reilly Media ).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Oct 2009   #4

Windows 7 x64 HP, Windows 7 HP, Windows 7 Ult
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by psteege View Post
I am getting Home Premium in 9 days and wanted a good text to learn Windows 7. I am not a "noob" completely. I have had a PC running Win OS's since Windows 3.1.

But, I went to Barnes & Nobles today and was overwhelmed by the number of Windows 7 books.

I would like to hear some recommendations from people who have actually bought a book before I drop $40 - $60.

Thanks
I'd recommend starting off with the Tutorials section of this forum, Tutorials - Windows 7 Forums and the Installation Guide Tutorial quick reference list for Installing Windows 7 and then look around for more in-detail books if necessary.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #5
Microsoft MVP

 
 

It's funny that the latest version of the Windows Internals book (v5) was released in August 2009 and it covers Windows Vista. A version that covers Windows 7 probably won't be released until 2011 or 2012.

Windows 7 RTM was released around July 2009 - so that tells me that there's only be 3 months to generate these books. I'd suggest saving your money and posting questions about the OS on the forums.

I've got copies of books for DOS, WFW 3.11, Win2k, WinXP, WinVista. Other than the Windows Internals books, the last one that I read cover to cover was the Windows for Workgroups v3.11 Guide (back in the mid-1990's).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #6
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by usasma View Post
It's funny that the latest version of the Windows Internals book (v5) was released in August 2009 and it covers Windows Vista. A version that covers Windows 7 probably won't be released until 2011 or 2012.

Windows 7 RTM was released around July 2009 - so that tells me that there's only be 3 months to generate these books. I'd suggest saving your money and posting questions about the OS on the forums.

I've got copies of books for DOS, WFW 3.11, Win2k, WinXP, WinVista. Other than the Windows Internals books, the last one that I read cover to cover was the Windows for Workgroups v3.11 Guide (back in the mid-1990's).
I don't know how these O'Reilly people do it. But I had bought the Vista book ( Missing Manual) a few weeks before Vista was released in Febr. 07. And I have to say that the information was extremely accurate and complete. I still refer to it today. They also kept relating it to the corresponding XP functions (which I personally did not like because I had never used XP). I assume, in the Windows 7 book they will relate to Vista.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #7

Windows 8.1 Pro RTM x64
 
 

The only book that I have on Windows 7 (so far) is

Microsoft Windows 7 Unleashed by Paul McFedries
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
 
 

@WHS I believe the O'Reilly people get advance copies of software to write the books with help from MS and other software makers, I have to say every book I bought with their name on it has been very useful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

I've got the Windows 7 Secrets book by Paul Thurrott and have just about read the entire thing and thought that it was pretty decent.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Oct 2009   #10
whs

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DarkXeno View Post
@WHS I believe the O'Reilly people get advance copies of software to write the books with help from MS and other software makers, I have to say every book I bought with their name on it has been very useful.

Yeah, right. I have 3 of their books and they are all good. Real professionals. For the Office 2007 programs I like Steve Johnson from Perspection, Inc.. Those are excellent too.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 what books on Win7 are recommended





Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: what books on Win7 are recommended
Thread Forum
Books Chillout Room
SAP users - Sap books from Sap Press now downloadable as E-books Chillout Room
Thumbnail Previews (Win7 32 & 64) for Non-PDF e-Books Customization
Solved Is Win7 SP1 Required/recommended to install DirectX9.0c in windows 7? Installation & Setup
How to download Books as a PDF in Google books? Chillout Room
Books for Windows 7 General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:04 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33