Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Unable to launch programs after boot, no error messages

14 May 2013   #1
Snyperx

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
Unable to launch programs after boot, no error messages

UPDATED!!

Hello all. I decided to come to these forums to seek some help with a very odd problem I started experiencing with my Windows 7 Ultimate PC. Let me first state that I am an IT professional by trade and have exhausted my knowledge of getting my install running smooth again.

Basically my problem is that after boot up I get to the Desktop fine. When I attempt to launch a program I get the waiting indicator and then nothing. I can not run chrome, Task Manager, open My computer, nothing. After some time my screen goes black, but I still can use my mouse cursor. After this the only option is to hold the power button and power down.

Up to this point I have done the following:

1. Attempted to run Windows Repair, but could not get that to load. Stated incorrect version of Windows even though I have the Windows 7 Ultimate disc.

2. Booted to Safe Mode a couple of time to try and remove any programs that were installed recently.

2. Thinking I had a virus/malware I used a couple of bootable CD tools that allowed me to scan for infections prior to getting into the O.S. They found nothing.

3. Used the Ultimate Boot CD to scan both the hard drive and memory for errors. Found nothing.


At this point I am hoping to tap into the knowledge of this forum to try and find a resolution. Let me say thank you in advance to anyone that can help.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
14 May 2013   #2
Roderunner

Win7 H.Prem. 32bit+SP1
 
 

Hi Snyperx, what firewall are you using. Try starting your programs on the desktop by right clicking & select 'Run as administrator'
My System SpecsSystem Spec
14 May 2013   #3
gregrocker

 

Work through the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 to establish a Clean Boot, monitor which processes are hogging resources, replace your AV with the lightweight recommended one and run a full scan, check System Files, etc. - working in Safe Mode if necessary.

You may need the latest official installer with SP1 if you don't have it, provided in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. While you're there read through the steps to see how close you come to the tools and methods recommended to get and keep a perfect install.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 May 2013   #4
Snyperx

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
Hi Snyperx, what firewall are you using. Try starting your programs on the desktop by right clicking & select 'Run as administrator'
I am running just the Microsoft firewall.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2013   #5
britny

microsoft window7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Snyperx

I think your computer is infected with the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm worm virus.
To prevent from this virus follow these instructions.
-click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
-In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator
-in command prompt, type cd \, and then press ENTER.
-in command prompt, type del /f /s /a sirc32.exe, and then press ENTER.
-in command prompt, type del /f /s /a scam32.exe, and then press ENTER.
-in command prompt, type shutdown -r, and then press ENTER.
If it doesn't work then
i will suggest you to read these instructions to resolve your problem
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2013   #6
Snyperx

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by britny View Post
Snyperx

I think your computer is infected with the W32.Sircam.Worm@mm worm virus.
To prevent from this virus follow these instructions.
-click Start, and then type cmd in the Start Search box.
-In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator
-in command prompt, type cd \, and then press ENTER.
-in command prompt, type del /f /s /a sirc32.exe, and then press ENTER.
-in command prompt, type del /f /s /a scam32.exe, and then press ENTER.
-in command prompt, type shutdown -r, and then press ENTER.
If it doesn't work then
i will suggest you to read these instructions to resolve your problem
Will give it a try. Thanks. I didn't find any sign of this virus when I scanned my PC. Does this virus not show up in virus scan software??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2013   #7
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post
UPDATED!!

Hello all. I decided to come to these forums to seek some help with a very odd problem I started experiencing with my Windows 7 Ultimate PC. Let me first state that I am an IT professional by trade and have exhausted my knowledge of getting my install running smooth again.

Basically my problem is that after boot up I get to the Desktop fine. When I attempt to launch a program I get the waiting indicator and then nothing. I can not run chrome, Task Manager, open My computer, nothing. After some time my screen goes black, but I still can use my mouse cursor. After this the only option is to hold the power button and power down.

Up to this point I have done the following:

1. Attempted to run Windows Repair, but could not get that to load. Stated incorrect version of Windows even though I have the Windows 7 Ultimate disc.

2. Booted to Safe Mode a couple of time to try and remove any programs that were installed recently.

2. Thinking I had a virus/malware I used a couple of bootable CD tools that allowed me to scan for infections prior to getting into the O.S. They found nothing.

3. Used the Ultimate Boot CD to scan both the hard drive and memory for errors. Found nothing.


At this point I am hoping to tap into the knowledge of this forum to try and find a resolution. Let me say thank you in advance to anyone that can help.
So you can enter safe mode? And as you say... remove programs.
What doesn't work?
-exe files?
-xls/doc/txt files?
-shortcuts?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2013   #8
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

If you see desktop... explorer.exe is running!
ctrl-shift-esc launches task manager?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2013   #9
Snyperx

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Snyperx View Post


At this point I am hoping to tap into the knowledge of this forum to try and find a resolution. Let me say thank you in advance to anyone that can help.
So you can enter safe mode? And as you say... remove programs.
What doesn't work?
-exe files?
-xls/doc/txt files?
-shortcuts?
Once the machine is booted and logged in, I can only run programs (web browser, Task manager...etc) for a brief period of time before programs stop opening. You click an icon or try and select the app from the start menu and it never loads. You get the "loading" icon, but the app never opens. Eventually the Desktop disappears and you get just a plain black screen with a working mouse cursor. when Task Manager is working I am not seeing high CPU utilization or high memory usage.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 May 2013   #10
gregrocker

 

Why is there no reply to the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 which I gave you a day ago?

You need to immediately type msconfig in the Start Search box, disable all entries in msconfig>Startup and >Services tabs (after Hiding All MS Services) then reboot the PC. Startup Programs - Change

Then work through the other steps including testing your HD using boot disks provided.

If you can't run them from the desktop then try running the ones which will run in Safe Mode with Networking.

If that won't work then change to these steps for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Unable to launch programs after boot, no error messages




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Live Mail: "Unexpected Error" - Unable to delete some messages
I never ever had this issue with Outlook Express. Suddenly, after I tried to delete some messages, I get the above error. I tried to move the messages to my deleted folder, nothing. I tried to move the store folder to another directory, nothing. I even uninstalled and uinstalled Windows Live, same...
Browsers & Mail
How do I make programs not launch by default everytime I boot?
I don't want it to launch.
General Discussion
Cant launch programs, error 0xc0000005
I can't access any programs on my laptop. Just recently when I boot I immediately get a bunch of errors for my default programs that says 'The application was unable to start correctly (oxc0000005)'. This happens for any program I try to open.
Software
Unable to start most programs, error (0xc0150004)
Basically, whenever I try and open most any installed program other than the ones that come preinstalled, I get an error code saying "The application was unable to start correctly (0xc0150004)" I also can't run anything I download, or I get an error saying "The exception unknown software...
General Discussion
Programs failing to launch after boot, followed by BSOD
Hello Posted this on Windows support community but with no response so far, found these forums that seem to be very active so was hoping to get a little help. Have been having trouble with my PC lately. I've searched for answers a few times already and although others have had similar...
BSOD Help and Support
Error 80070641 + unable to open some programs
Last week Friday, I had problems scanning from my HP6110, so I restarted my computer. When it restarted, it went into an automatic repair that said would take a "few minutes." After about half an hour, I tried to cancel the repair, but a message indicated it would not stop. After about an hour,...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App