Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Creating bootable USB Flash on 32bit but need to clean install 64bit

17 May 2013   #11
mawil1013

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Let us know how you get on.
Rufus worked , thanks!!!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 May 2013   #12
AddRAM

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Just another bit of info. @mawil1013

It makes no difference what operating system you create the usb drive from, as you are burning the 64 bit iso.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 May 2013   #13
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by mawil1013 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Golden View Post
Let us know how you get on.
Rufus worked , thanks!!!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


17 May 2013   #14
AddRAM

Windows 7 Professional x64 Service Pack 1
 
 

Another good program was WiNToBootic, but the website seems to have vanished.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2013   #15
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Rufus has always been a nice program whether one wants to create a bootable DOS pen drive or a bootable pen drive with any bootable ISO. If one is using an old pen drive it can also check for bad sectors and map them to reserved sectors so that the created pen drive runs without any problem.

WinToBootic is another Windows 7/8 installation-specific easy to use tool where with only a few clicks one can create the installation drive. It has not vanished. One can still find it here WiNToBootic - the ultimate Windows 7/8 USB Boot Disk Maker
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2013   #16
BoseRoHS

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Well in my opinion those boot programs do a half ass job than doing it by command line yourself. You have the boot tools already installed on windows, no need to download crap tools.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2013   #17
bobafetthotmail

Win 7 Pro 64-bit 7601
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Just another bit of info. @mawil1013
It makes no difference what operating system you create the usb drive from, as you are burning the 64 bit iso.
As long as the program you are using isn't the one from Microsoft, that is.
Most of these programs simply write some linux boot code and bootstrap directly to the extracted iso, the microsoft one seems to copy the boot code from the installed version, so it makes a fuss.

Quote:
Well in my opinion those boot programs do a half ass job than doing it by command line yourself.
I'm not a fan of using the command line to do real work in the 21st century. Remembering all the darn commands and -x and -y is annoying.
Still one of the main reasons Linux does piss me off sometimes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2013   #18
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BoseRoHS View Post
Well in my opinion those boot programs do a half ass job than doing it by command line yourself. You have the boot tools already installed on windows, no need to download crap tools.
That only shows that you haven't even tried those programs before making those comments and have some preconceived notions.

As bobafethotmail rightly said, for ordinary users doing anything with the command line is a daunting task and they are likely to go wrong in using the correct commands, syntax and what not.

An intuitive GUI software which mostly act as a frontend is preferred. Even I do not use diskpart clean all to write zeros to all sectors. It is too cumbersome. It is easy to use the HDD Low level Format Tool. Select the drive and click format and watch the progress..

One cannot expect an ordinary user to attain proficiency in using command line to do all jobs. And if you are unaware, once upon a time we always wrote programs in DOS and Windows when it made its debut was merely a frontend to it.

Why don't you go back to DOS and do everything in DOS and prove yourself that only commandline is best?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2013   #19
BoseRoHS

Windows 7 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BoseRoHS View Post
Well in my opinion those boot programs do a half ass job than doing it by command line yourself. You have the boot tools already installed on windows, no need to download crap tools.
That only shows that you haven't even tried those programs before making those comments and have some preconceived notions.

As bobafethotmail rightly said, for ordinary users doing anything with the command line is a daunting task and they are likely to go wrong in using the correct commands, syntax and what not.

An intuitive GUI software which mostly act as a frontend is preferred. Even I do not use diskpart clean all to write zeros to all sectors. It is too cumbersome. It is easy to use the HDD Low level Format Tool. Select the drive and click format and watch the progress..

One cannot expect an ordinary user to attain proficiency in using command line to do all jobs. And if you are unaware, once upon a time we always wrote programs in DOS and Windows when it made its debut was merely a frontend to it.

Why don't you go back to DOS and do everything in DOS and prove yourself that only commandline is best?
Obviously someone has their wittle panties in a bunch?

Really, I've never used them? Hmmm I've certainly used over 20 different variations of the software and none of them do as they claim. I'd rather stick to HP's "HPUSBDisk" to format the drive to NTFS or the simple format fs:NTFS /quick (shockingly difficult, oh no!!), oh then diskpart ... blah select volume , or select disk ... oh no ... a total of maybe 10 seconds of which this software you use consume more time just loading that junk software that MAYBE does the job correctly 50% of the time when in fact creating the USB as a physical drive within command line can be done in less than 10 seconds.

I guess it's VERY hard to remember less than 7 commands vs. oh lets clicky button.

Heh, sad to say if "ordinary" users are too lazy to figure out how to command line a USB bootable drive you shouldn't be operating a computer period. Hell, I was doing all this at 6 years old on Windows 3.1!!! It's TOO simple! I hear on a daily basis from whinny Windows users "oh i can't do this or that".... Ok , make a switch to Linux or OSX and you actually need to place some effort into utilizing the OS.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 May 2013   #20
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by BoseRoHS View Post
Hmmm I've certainly used over 20 different variations of the software and none of them do as they claim.


Refer to this
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Creating bootable USB Flash on 32bit but need to clean install 64bit




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Creating a bootable USB Drive for Windows 7 Installation for 64bit
I tried using the Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool to copy my ISO file onto a USB, but when it was completed I received an error messaged saying that bootsect was not able to be ran and as such the USB device was not made bootable. I tried following this thread. The difference is that my computer...
Installation & Setup
Creating 64bit install USB from 32bit W7 OS
Hey guys, I'm getting a new Macbook Air without an optical drive in a couple of weeks so I'm trying to create a bootable USB drive so I can install Windows 7 on it on day one (can't live without a bit of Windows 7) I'm currently running Windows 7 on my Dell XPS M1330 which is a 32 bit...
Installation & Setup
Creating a bootable flash drive from ISO file
First and foremost, I would like to apologize, as this is in regards to WinXP.... I have a friend that need to install Windows XP 32Bit, SP2. I do not have a hard copy, but I do have an ISO file, its about 640 MB. Its a custom computer that does not have USB bootable capabilities, But I'm...
Installation & Setup
Clean install (or upgrade) from 32bit W7 to 64bit W7?
Hi, First of all, I realise that I will lose all of my documents, programs etc. My computer is running Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit. I would like to get 64bit Windows 7 Ultimate. My computer IS x64 capable. Any help/ideas? Also, will I have to buy a new Windows 7 or is it all included? Thanks,...
Installation & Setup
no 64bit flash player, 32bit IE crashes...
running win7 home 64bit problem is theres no 64-bit version of adobe flash player. so I started using the 32-bit version of IE so I can use flash. every now and then it says "internet explorer has stopped working" ect.. says its checking for a solution to the problem and no solution exists of...
Browsers & Mail
Clean Install of Window 7 64bit from 32bit Vista
I saw the thread on clean installs with a upgrade disk but I'm still confused. I want to use a update disk to install a 64bit version of windows 7 from a 32bit bit version of Vista. 1) I have no extra hard drive 2) I have a Compaq F500 (laptop) with 1 gig of memory with a AMD64 Athlon x2...
Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 16:28.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App