Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Programs won't download.

23 May 2013   #21
Zuko53

Windows 7 upgraded from Vista 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zuko53 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zuko53 View Post
Problem is that I have it as part of my Cox internet and if I uninstall it, I may not get it back.
No, it's just software that's installed on your computer. If you uninstall it, then you can get it back. All you have to do is run the installer again (unless you deleted it), or go to Cox's website and get it back the same way you obtained it the first time.

The same is true with Comcast: they provided McAfee for free to their subscribers and they had an easy way to get McAfee back if you uninstalled it or upgraded to a new computer, etc. It's always there to download from their site should you ever need it, and Cox is no different. Except, Comcast switched to Norton.
OK, I'll give it a shot.
Uninstalled McAfee tried to download revo again, didn't work.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 May 2013   #22
Zuko53

Windows 7 upgraded from Vista 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zuko53 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zuko53 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TwoCables View Post

No, it's just software that's installed on your computer. If you uninstall it, then you can get it back. All you have to do is run the installer again (unless you deleted it), or go to Cox's website and get it back the same way you obtained it the first time.

The same is true with Comcast: they provided McAfee for free to their subscribers and they had an easy way to get McAfee back if you uninstalled it or upgraded to a new computer, etc. It's always there to download from their site should you ever need it, and Cox is no different. Except, Comcast switched to Norton.
OK, I'll give it a shot.
Uninstalled McAfee tried to download revo again, didn't work.
Now I can't download McAfee either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #23
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

Can you run a System File Check?
Try option 2 first in this tutorial, and if that doesn't work try option 1.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Do you have access to another PC where you can download files?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

24 May 2013   #24
Zuko53

Windows 7 upgraded from Vista 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
Can you run a System File Check?
Try option 2 first in this tutorial, and if that doesn't work try option 1.
SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

Do you have access to another PC where you can download files?
Yes
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #25
gregrocker

 

Since you were infected with McAfee I would proceed with your plan to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. Read the Special Notes for Dell Owners at end - you'll want to delete all but the OEM Diagnostics partition during reinstall if it still runs: Dell Diagnostics Utility - How to Run the.

If you stick with the tools and methods given in the tutorial - based on tens of thousands of installs we've helped with here - then you will get and keep a perfect install for as long as you do.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #26
Zuko53

Windows 7 upgraded from Vista 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Since you were infected with McAfee I would proceed with your plan to Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. Read the Special Notes for Dell Owners at end - you'll want to delete all but the OEM Diagnostics partition during reinstall if it still runs: Dell Diagnostics Utility - How to Run the.

If you stick with the tools and methods given in the tutorial - based on tens of thousands of installs we've helped with here - then you will get and keep a perfect install for as long as you do.
I have McAfee as part of my Cox subscription. I was under the impression that it is part of if not not the whole problem with me not being able to download programs. So, I uninstalled the McAfee Security program from my computer and proceeded to download Revo and it didn't work. Then I went to download McAfee back on my computer and that didn't work either. I am left with no protection, at this point.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #27
gregrocker

 

I don't know why you're being peddled MucAfee by your cable company, but we are the top authority on Win7 here (not your cable company) and we are trying to tell you it is the worst possible thing you can install on your PC.

It is so bad that like a virus it requires its own removal tool to fully uninstall it all, along with reboots. Did you run this when it was provided?

Simply removing the MucAfee infection is not enough, even with the removal tool. So when you said you are amenable to a reinstall I provided you with the steps to not only get a perfect Clean Reinstall but to keep it that way for as long as you stick with the tools and methods given in the blue link.

This is based on helping with tens of thousands of Win7 installs since before it was even released. Our collective knowledge and love of Win7 has made this the top tech forums online and in history, with the highest reputation and awards that can be achieved in the tech field.

If you're not quite ready to reinstall then install Microsoft Security Essentials and run a full scan, run a full Malwarebytes scan, a full scan with SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloads and Flush your DNS.

Disable all add-ons in your browsers except Flash, disable all Startups except AV and sync in msconfig>Startup and >Services after Hiding All MS Services.

Here are more Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 which will check over your system thoroughly and help you complete the others.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #28
Zuko53

Windows 7 upgraded from Vista 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I don't know why you're being peddled MucAfee by your cable company, but we are the top authority on Win7 here (not your cable company) and we are trying to tell you it is the worst possible thing you can install on your PC.

It is so bad that like a virus it requires its own removal tool to fully uninstall it all, along with reboots. Did you run this when it was provided?

Simply removing the MucAfee infection is not enough, even with the removal tool. So when you said you are amenable to a reinstall I provided you with the steps to not only get a perfect Clean Reinstall but to keep it that way for as long as you stick with the tools and methods given in the blue link.

This is based on helping with tens of thousands of Win7 installs since before it was even released. Our collective knowledge and love of Win7 has made this the top tech forums online and in history, with the highest reputation and awards that can be achieved in the tech field.

If you're not quite ready to reinstall then install Microsoft Security Essentials and run a full scan, run a full Malwarebytes scan, a full scan with SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloads and Flush your DNS.

Disable all add-ons in your browsers except Flash, disable all Startups except AV and sync in msconfig>Startup and >Services after Hiding All MS Services.

Here are more Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 which will check over your system thoroughly and help you complete the others.
OK, here I go after which I'll get back to you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #29
Zuko53

Windows 7 upgraded from Vista 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zuko53 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I don't know why you're being peddled MucAfee by your cable company, but we are the top authority on Win7 here (not your cable company) and we are trying to tell you it is the worst possible thing you can install on your PC.

It is so bad that like a virus it requires its own removal tool to fully uninstall it all, along with reboots. Did you run this when it was provided?

Simply removing the MucAfee infection is not enough, even with the removal tool. So when you said you are amenable to a reinstall I provided you with the steps to not only get a perfect Clean Reinstall but to keep it that way for as long as you stick with the tools and methods given in the blue link.

This is based on helping with tens of thousands of Win7 installs since before it was even released. Our collective knowledge and love of Win7 has made this the top tech forums online and in history, with the highest reputation and awards that can be achieved in the tech field.

If you're not quite ready to reinstall then install Microsoft Security Essentials and run a full scan, run a full Malwarebytes scan, a full scan with SUPERAntiSpyware.com - Downloads and Flush your DNS.

Disable all add-ons in your browsers except Flash, disable all Startups except AV and sync in msconfig>Startup and >Services after Hiding All MS Services.

Here are more Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 which will check over your system thoroughly and help you complete the others.
OK, here I go after which I'll get back to you.
For some reason which I cannot explain, Revo downloaded after several attempts that always lead to "can't be downloaded". It showed up on my desktop and I clicked in to it an there it was. I was successful, with forced download, to eliminate the ATT-RC Self Help tool from my programs which was my objective all along. Along the way, when communicating with others, it was suggested that McAfee was in the way of downloading the Revo, so I removed it. It is part of my Cox subscription, so I don't pay anything extra for it. After I was able to remove the ATT thing, I went back to try to download the McAfee again and now that will not download. From what I gather from you guys is that is a good thing. I will heed your message about McAfee and opt for other forms/labels of protection. For now, everything seems to be OK that is though, my computer remains unprotected until I obtain another program. So, as far as re-installing windows 7, I will hold off on that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 May 2013   #30
gregrocker

 

Likely a reboot took MucAfee remnants out enough that downloads started working.

I provided you with the recommended free AV, as well as other steps which if you will complete them will assure best performance.

In addition even if you don't Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 the tools and methods recommended in it will assure best performance until you can.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Programs won't download.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Can,t Download any Programs
For the last couple months I have,nt been able to download any new programs. For example, Adobe Reader, I can go to the website page and click on the download button and there it stops. I,ve tried a few music sites and the same thing. I see the modems lights blinking so it looks like it,s...
General Discussion
Windows 7 will download programs but not install programs
Hello I have just bought a new acer aspier 5750z-4830 intel core b940 processor 4gb ddr3 memory 500 gb hdd 3 days ago and I am unable to install any new programs. I have tried to download meny sotwer not at the same time but the results are horrable. google chrome: 7 hours and never...
Software
Can't Download Programs...Win32 err
For about the past week, when I try to download anything I get the error message that whatever the file path of the downloaded item is not a valid Win32 program. I have SUPERantispyware program that also checks for viruses, but it says my computer is clean. I would download AVG or another program...
General Discussion
Unable to download any programs
About a month ago I bought a Dell Inspiron 1564with Windows 7. I have not been able to download any programs except Itunes, which is very slow. For example it starts to download Skype and gets about halfway through then a message pops up saying it cannot download. It has done the same with other...
Software
Windows 7...I cannot download any programs
It will not allow me to download anything. I am getting so frustrated. It usually says something about system firewall settings. I even went as far as turning off the firewall and it still will not allow me to download. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks Michelle
General Discussion
Cant Download Programs.. Corrupt Disk
When ever i go to download like firefox or skype or aim or anything it tells me that internet explore is unable to find the server. when i go to start my computer up with Windows 7 on it. it does a disk check everytime.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App