Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer takes a long time to turn on...

30 May 2013   #11
dperecky

win7 64bit Ult. using: XP Mode, in English or Español, SUA, Bitlocker
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antikythera View Post
Do you have another monitor you can hook up to the PC and test with?

From the screenshot, I see that the monitor is not receiving a signal. That points to either the monitor or the embedded graphics on the motherboard.

If your using a CRT monitor, chances are you might have a few busted caps inside the desktop. Crack open the side case and just visually inspect the little capacitors on the motherboard, they typically have either a Y or an X on top of them. Your looking for any bubbling, rising, or leaking.

Do you plug/unplug your monitor a lot - perhaps to use w/a different PC?

Going along with switching monitors, I have a simple suggestion: check the monitor/video cable jack on your pc. It should be clean, and the monitor cable pins should all be there and not loose.

Also, if possible: try your monitor on a different pc... see if it works ok there.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 May 2013   #12
Rawad

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dperecky View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Antikythera View Post
Do you have another monitor you can hook up to the PC and test with?

From the screenshot, I see that the monitor is not receiving a signal. That points to either the monitor or the embedded graphics on the motherboard.

If your using a CRT monitor, chances are you might have a few busted caps inside the desktop. Crack open the side case and just visually inspect the little capacitors on the motherboard, they typically have either a Y or an X on top of them. Your looking for any bubbling, rising, or leaking.

Do you plug/unplug your monitor a lot - perhaps to use w/a different PC?

Going along with switching monitors, I have a simple suggestion: check the monitor/video cable jack on your pc. It should be clean, and the monitor cable pins should all be there and not loose.

Also, if possible: try your monitor on a different pc... see if it works ok there.
It took me about 1 hour to get this computer back on and running . I think it's due to the fact that my tower was all filled with dust. What I did is grab a hair dryer to get rid of the dust . There was a lot of dust coming out of my tower . I think that might have been the problem all along.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2013   #13
Rawad

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

I don't think the hair dryer helped me fix this problem because the same thing happened to me today as well. I unplugged everything and plugged everything back in, didn't work . Then I tired the blow dryer method and it worked again. I just can't figure out the exact problem. It can be the tower itself or monitor cable . I have no idea whats causing this.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 May 2013   #14
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

The dust can also migrate into the PCIe slots and open ram slots, I would get some compressed air and really go after the coolers and all open slots even take a clean dry paint brush and while spraying clean the mobo. Computers must be regularly cleaned and if there are open windows or pets what would be a minimum of every 6 month cleaning I'd suggest every 3 months. Many users let years go by and then wonder why the system is acting up or shutting down. Dust that forms a layer can and will conduct current and not good ! Get after all intake and exhaust fans and clean the blades so they perform better as well.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2013   #15
Rawad

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
The dust can also migrate into the PCIe slots and open ram slots, I would get some compressed air and really go after the coolers and all open slots even take a clean dry paint brush and while spraying clean the mobo. Computers must be regularly cleaned and if there are open windows or pets what would be a minimum of every 6 month cleaning I'd suggest every 3 months. Many users let years go by and then wonder why the system is acting up or shutting down. Dust that forms a layer can and will conduct current and not good ! Get after all intake and exhaust fans and clean the blades so they perform better as well.

Alright, Thanks for the info, now would I need to take the computer apart, so I can start cleaning?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2013   #16
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

No just open both side panels and maybe the access to the front intake fan(s) all else should be easily reached from the left hand side.
Just some shots of an old rig and how I would clean it with my Makita air compressor.
Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2604.jpg

Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2640.jpg

Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2256.jpg

Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2257.jpg

Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2272.jpg

Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2273.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2013   #17
Rawad

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
No just open both side panels and maybe the access to the front intake fan(s) all else should be easily reached from the left hand side.
Just some shots of an old rig and how I would clean it with my Makita air compressor.
Attachment 270585

Attachment 270586

Attachment 270587

Attachment 270588

Attachment 270589

Attachment 270590
Is there like a specific area I have to spray , this is my first time doing this so I am asking a lot of questions , don't mind me. I just don't want to wreck my computer. I found a video , would this be a good example?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BovgvppZX4k
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2013   #18
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Yes please keep all fans from free spinning by holding them still when spraying air on them, Spray the mobo and all open slots, spend lots of time blasting the CPU cooler as well as the intake and exhaust fans of both the GPU and PSU. You'll see dust fly so I like to disconnect all wires and power cord and then take the computer outside in an area where you can work easily and see easily. Try not the touch the mobo or components too much for static electricity issue but the air is fine. I also like to take a soft bristle brush and loosen dust and blow it away as well. Also take moist q-tips and clean all fans on both sides and real pain but really helps to keep things cool. This is also a good chance to look at any wiring you can make cleaner for better air flow. Enjoy the process as you are doing valuable work and gaining familiarity with the inner working of the rig. Ask questions as we're here to help !
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2013   #19
Rawad

Windows 8.1 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by linnemeyerhere View Post
Yes please keep all fans from free spinning by holding them still when spraying air on them, Spray the mobo and all open slots, spend lots of time blasting the CPU cooler as well as the intake and exhaust fans of both the GPU and PSU. You'll see dust fly so I like to disconnect all wires and power cord and then take the computer outside in an area where you can work easily and see easily. Try not the touch the mobo or components too much for static electricity issue but the air is fine. I also like to take a soft bristle brush and loosen dust and blow it away as well. Also take moist q-tips and clean all fans on both sides and real pain but really helps to keep things cool. This is also a good chance to look at any wiring you can make cleaner for better air flow. Enjoy the process as you are doing valuable work and gaining familiarity with the inner working of the rig. Ask questions as we're here to help !

Would a hair dryer on cool work as well?

Can you please provide images for these? , because it will make it easier for me and it's good to learn.
-GPU
-PSU
-CPU
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jun 2013   #20
linnemeyerhere

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
 
 

Never used a hair dryer myself and I'm not sure about if they generate static electricity? I'm sure it would be safe enough on high speed with zero heat. You can even use a vacuum and then sweep dust loose and it will pick it up but for fins and rads always best to blow.

Graphics Card -GPU
Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2412.jpg

Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2419.jpg

Power Supply - PSU
Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2626.jpg

Central Processor - CPU
Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim2200.jpg
Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim1276.jpg
Computer takes a long time to turn on...-hpim0911.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer takes a long time to turn on...




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Computer takes a long time to load, constantly not responding.
Hi all, Recently my laptop is giving me issues, it took a long time to do anything at all. Some times it states that window explorer stops responding. I tried going into safe mode and use the sfc /scannow feature but it auto dismisses after 7% verification. I am not sure what's the cause of all...
Performance & Maintenance
IDE takes long time to identify
Hey. I recently purchased an SSD and installed it in parallel to my hard drive. By the time I installed it, whenever I start my computer, the black screen in the start(BIOS) takes long time to identify which IDE drivers found(It takes a good minute or two to actually start up the operating...
Hardware & Devices
Startup takes a long time
Hi there. I installed windows 7 on an old Dell Dimension, just because I didn't want to throw it away and I like a challenge. It worked great up until I installed another hard drive on a separate ide channel, along with the cdrom (although I tried several combinations of slave-master). Fact is, now...
Performance & Maintenance
Wi-fi takes long time to connect
My wife has a new Acer netbook which came with 7 Starter. I upgraded it to Home Premium 32bit. She is complaining that after closing the lid, or hibernating, or sleep mode, it take at least two minutes before the netbook connects so that she can use the internet. My two laptops do not have this...
Network & Sharing
Login takes long time to appear.
When i start up my computer,after reaching windows 7 symbol appears and i see the blue screen,it takes over 3 minutes before i see the form to type my password in.The same happens when i let my computer hibernate/sleep and then turn it on again. These are my computer specs: Operating System MS...
General Discussion
Computer takes a long time to start
I have an HP Z800 Workstation with Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. When I start the computer it seems to be ready in somewhere under a minute after the desktop comes on, meaning there are no spinning circles the mouse moves smoothly etc. However if I try to launch one of the programs in the taskbar,...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App