Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can never connect when setting up new laptop

20 Jun 2013   #1
mike6623

Windows 8 Pro
 
 
Can never connect when setting up new laptop

Ok, this has happened twice.

I get a laptop to set up in my house (which has wireless and ethernet connections) and even with ethernet plugged in it will not connect to a network. I have to use my mobile hotspot from my phone to get internet, and update the drivers.


What if I didn't have a hotspot? How would I be able to connect to the internet? This happened with my mothers computer and my friends, yesterday. He needed a clean install, updates, etc and this happened again, not sure what is going on, and why I need an external internet source to update the drivers, why wouln't ethernet work?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Jun 2013   #2
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Depends on your wired and wireless network setup,
Either would be interpreted as a invader,
Why can't I access my homegroup?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-cant-I-access-my-homegroup
Why can't I join a homegroup?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-join-a-homegroup
Why can't I create a homegroup?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-cant-I-create-a-homegroup

HomeGroup from start to finish
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/homegroup-from-start-to-finish
File sharing essentials
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/File-sharing-essentials

Share files with someone
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Share-files-with-someone
Setting up a home network
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/setting-up-a-home-network
Home Network, Wireless Network and Computer Networking Made Easy
http://www.home-network-help.com/
Windows Vista Tip: How To Setup And Connect To A Wireless Network
http://www.watchingthenet.com/windows-vista-tip-how-to-setup-and-connect-to-a-wireless-network.html
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #3
mike6623

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Depends on your wired and wireless network setup,
Either would be interpreted as a invader,
Why can't I access my homegroup?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-cant-I-access-my-homegroup
Why can't I join a homegroup?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-can-t-I-join-a-homegroup
Why can't I create a homegroup?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Why-cant-I-create-a-homegroup
HomeGroup from start to finish
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/help/homegroup-from-start-to-finish
File sharing essentials
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/File-sharing-essentials
Share files with someone
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/Share-files-with-someone
Setting up a home network
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-vista/setting-up-a-home-network
Home Network, Wireless Network and Computer Networking Made Easy
http://www.home-network-help.com/
Windows Vista Tip: How To Setup And Connect To A Wireless Network
http://www.watchingthenet.com/windows-vista-tip-how-to-setup-and-connect-to-a-wireless-network.html
Wheever I tried to connect to anything (other than my phone) it wouldn't even give me homegroup or network options until I updatred the drivers, which I wouldn't have been able to if I didn't have a mobile hotspot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Jun 2013   #4
Winky7

Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
 
 

Some network problem I solved with the CMD. Don't know if it will work here but always good to have handy.

ipconfig /release
ENTER
ipconfig /renew
ENTER
Exit
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #5
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

I suppose the only trick is to enter your wireless network first/ with password when prompted for it.
The same way a cellphones trying to enter a secure wifi network anywhere,
Many new computers come with junkware/ the worst is the pre-installed security suites on them,
What third party security do the existing machines have and what is coming pre-installed ?
More information about your wired and wireless network is needed to be able to say what is really going on/ out of date drivers I doubt would hamper entering a wifi network.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #6
mike6623

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
I suppose the only trick is to enter your wireless network first/ with password when prompted for it.
The same way a cellphones trying to enter a secure wifi network anywhere,
Many new computers come with junkware/ the worst is the pre-installed security suites on them,
What third party security do the existing machines have and what is coming pre-installed ?
More information about your wired and wireless network is needed to be able to say what is really going on/ out of date drivers I doubt would hamper entering a wifi network.
That is the problem, I Was never given an option to connect to anything, so I couldn' have put in the passkey. I will, however, try to CMD thing it is just weird that this is 2 laptops in a row
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #7
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

You would need to first search for available wifi networks,
Laptop are not by default set to find and ask you if you want to enter wifi networks/ most cell phones are.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #8
mike6623

Windows 8 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
You would need to first search for available wifi networks,
Laptop are not by default set to find and ask you if you want to enter wifi networks/ most cell phones are.
How, when I go into network and sharing center and try and connect to a network, nothing available.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #9
mohavepc

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

I have found that when doing a clean install it works faster and connects easier if you have the machine hardwired "Before" installation. Win 7 likes to go look for updated drivers during the install. it is also handy to download and have ready on a flash drive any eth0 drivers that may not be mainstream. I have had no issues with most systems with the exception of a Coby laptop that had antiquated Broadcom drivers. Win 7 would hiccup at the installation of said drivers. I had to forcefeed xp drivers to it after install.

just my two cents
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Jun 2013   #10
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Give some more information about the laptop computers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can never connect when setting up new laptop




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Cannot connect data HDs after installing SSD and setting SATA to ACHI
I have set up a new rig with the following components: Gigabyte Z97X-SLI Intel Core i5-4690K Samsung SSD 840 EVO 250GB Drive Im running everything pretty vanilla, using onboard video, audio, network, etc. I originally installed Win 7 with the BIOS SATA mode set for IDE as I have two data...
Drivers
How do I connect to Wi-Fi when my laptop can only connect to ethernet?
For some reason, my computer has been only connecting to ethernet recently. And I don't know what's going on, except for the fact that I recently performed a factory reset on my computer, and for some reason it caused a few problems on my laptop, most of which were fixed eventually though. However,...
Network & Sharing
how can i edit my laptop setting for the tv
hello good morning i connect my dell inspiron 1525 laptop to my sony bravio 40 inch tv .. everything was fine except when i play some video the image become slow i mean the video while it play so i did change setting and now i got a smaller screen in my tv how can i fix this .. i upload...
Music, Pictures & Video
Help Setting Up VBox With Windows Xp(can not connect to internet)
im new with VirtualBox , i got VirtualBox running in my laptop with windows 7 and is connected to my wifi router .. and yes the internet of my pc is working. now i already installed windows Xp in Virtualbox but my problem is that windows xp is not connecting to the internet :( since i have...
Virtualization
Question on setting up Win 7 Remote Desktop to connect via internet
I have setup Remote Desktop on two different Windows 7 computers and I am unable to connect to them. I have followed several examples, which are the same on setting this up, but still unable to connect. The examples show trying to connect using the computer name and user name. If you are connecting...
Network & Sharing
Setting background on laptop
I'm sure there is an easy fix to this. When I select any saved pic and set is as background, the image is greatly magnified and the entire screen is fill with a close-up partial view of said pic. Happens no matter what pic I select. No other anamolies noted. This just now started...
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App