Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer waking up ramdomly doing the night

13 Jul 2013   #1

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 
Computer waking up ramdomly doing the night

I don't know if this is the correct forum to ask this...

But I recently reinstalled Windows 7 Ultimate x64 on my ASUS K53SD Laptop

When I'm home I plug my laptop into a VGA cable and plug in a keyboard (Logitech K340) and a mouse (M325).
When it is plugged in to this, the laptop is open, and when I shut down the computer completely (no charger or anything, though the VGA cable and the mouse and keyboard is still plugged in. But I turn off the mouse and the keyboard every night)

A few nights ago the laptop suddenly booted randomly.. I use wireless internet connection so it can't be the "Wake on Lan"-error. I have a theory my self that it might be because i leave the laptop open during the night, but I would like to hear some more qualified about and that is why I now ask you guys.

Thanks

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

13 Jul 2013   #2

Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1
 
 

Try checking these out: Windows 7 does not go to sleep
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2013   #3

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TBoyd View Post
Try checking these out: Windows 7 does not go to sleep
Thanks but the problem is, that my laptop is not sleeping. It's turned off. Not sleeping or in hibernate. Off.
And also i have already tried everything that your link suggest to to. Still not solved. Thanks though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


13 Jul 2013   #4

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Hello holst01,

Regarding your OP:
Quote:
I use wireless internet connection so it can't be the "Wake on Lan"-error.
You can look in your BIOS setup to see if this setting is available and might cause the issue.
Quote:
Laptops powered by the Intel Centrino Processor Technology or newer (with explicit BIOS support) allow waking up the machine using wireless Wake on Wireless LAN (WoWLAN).
Source: Wake-on-LAN - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2013   #5

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote:
You can look in your BIOS setup to see if this setting is available and might cause the issue.
There is not an option to disable anything like this in my BIOs.

WoWLan is neither one of the options. Actaully i don't have any power options in BIOS. I've disabled "Wake on lid Open" but that didn't solve the problem.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2013   #6

Win 7 Pro x64 SP1, Win 7 Ult x86 SP1
 
 

Any chance someone else could have started your PC while you were sleeping?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2013   #7

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

No chance. One of the times I lay in my bed and saw that it turned on by it self
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2013   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Hi holst01, welcome to 7F!

Couple of items to look at/try:

  • Does this happen when your machine is plugged into the power supply? Try shutting down while on battery only.

It may be a bad PSU supplying too much power, preventing a proper shutdown. How old is your machine? You may have to contact Asus.

Try using another power supply if you have/can get one.

  • How is your Wake-on-LAN set? There may be two settings, one in your BIOS , the other in the Operating System, this link will show you both: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- If it's on, disable it to test.

There are also reports of loose or broken grounds that can cause restarts.


EDIT:

I see DavidW7ncus has replied about the wake-on-lan while I was compiling an answer.

If you don't have one in the BIOS check the OS setting in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\ Device Manager\ Network Adapters.


After your last answer, We may have to call in the Ghostbusters!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2013   #9

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Hi holst01, welcome to 7F!

Couple of items to look at/try:

  • Does this happen when your machine is plugged into the power supply? Try shutting down while on battery only.

It may be a bad PSU supplying too much power, preventing a proper shutdown. How old is your machine? You may have to contact Asus.

Try using another power supply if you have/can get one.

  • How is your Wake-on-LAN set? There may be two settings, one in your BIOS , the other in the Operating System, this link will show you both: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. -Support- If it's on, disable it to test.

There are also reports of loose or broken grounds that can cause restarts.


EDIT:

I see DavidW7ncus has replied about the wake-on-lan while I was compiling an answer.

If you don't have one in the BIOS check the OS setting in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\ Device Manager\ Network Adapters.


After your last answer, We may have to call in the Ghostbusters!
- It happens while using battery.
- I bought the laptop in August 2012
- My Wake On Lan is disabled in the Device Manager and no Device is allowed to wake the computer
- The link you've sent is a different BIOS than mine. I am using BIOS 205 from this link: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultra...rt_Download_36
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jul 2013   #10

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by holst01 View Post
- It happens while using battery.
- I bought the laptop in August 2012
- My Wake On Lan is disabled in the Device Manager and no Device is allowed to wake the computer
- The link you've sent is a different BIOS than mine. I am using BIOS 205 from this link: https://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultra...rt_Download_36
Okay on the first three, we'll have to look elsewhere.

I just took a stab at your machine. your specs don't offer much,
  • Laptop
  • Asus
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer waking up ramdomly doing the night




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Computer waking up ramdomly doing the night
Thread Forum
computer turning itself on during night Performance & Maintenance
Computer turning itself on during night General Discussion
Computer won't sleep at night. General Discussion
Solved Win 7 64bit Keeps Waking Up From Hibernate During Night! Performance & Maintenance
Computer Restarted middle of the night General Discussion
Computer on 24/7 or off every night? General Discussion
What do you do on your computer for fun at night? Chillout Room

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:19 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33