|18 Oct 2009||#1|
Requests to Microsoft.
Please read this carefully before posting.
This thread is meant to collect user's request of new features to add to Windows 7, or to bring back features that were taken out since XP / Vista, and are sorely missed.
The idea is to create a list that MS might want to take a look at.
For this to have a chance, we need to keep the thread clean, and free of unnecessary comments and discussions.
1. No rants, no debates or discussions, no personal comments, no reactions to other posters, no MS bashing, period!
2. Maximum of 10 lines. So make sure your post is clear and to the point.
One or two words more won't matter, but don't push your luck.
3. Posting of screenshots is allowed to clarify your point.
4. No utopian requests, keep it reasonable.
5. Double posts and posts with features already requested by others will be deleted.
6. Adding a reason why you want it is allowed, but remember the 10 line rule.
7. If a user posts a problem that can be fixed, no help allowed other than saying poster should open a thread about his problem.
Not complying with these simple rules, will get your post removed.
1. Please examine the list to see if your request is already there.
2. Please think about what you're requesting is a good thing for less knowledgeable users.
Example: Making editing the context menu easier, could lead to users messing up, and making troubleshooting for support technicians impossible.
3. Your post will be reviewed and, when approved, will make it to the list.
If it doesn't, don't start a discussion about it.
4. The 10 line rule is because I will have to read all the posts,
and maintain a normal life at the same time. Hope you'll understand.
Now please bring it on.The list:
1. See the cumulative file size of more than 15 files, without having to click "More details" every time the user adds a file to the selection.
1. Ability to pin the favorites to top of left pane (à la vista), so it doesn't scroll.
1. Give user back the option to arrange files and folders the way they want.
Hence, a way to switch off auto arrange.
1. Shared Icon overlay
It's an absolute nescesity for seeing which folders are shared in their hiarchy.
1. Tabs like in IE 8
2. Dual pane view.
3. Easier way to customize send-to context-menu
4. Ability for customizing drive/partition/file-type icons, maybe in properties tab?
1. Search is totally useless in the present state.
2. Please give us back the ability to add our own search filters.
3. Please give us more of an UI to fine tune our searches.
1. Arrange by button in Libraries doesn't work, it does nothing.
2. Please make Libraries respect the view and arrange settings the way it works for folders.
Example: When the user sets a subfolder X of "my pictures" to arrange by name, it is only applied to that folder X, not the whole "my pictures folder".
But in the "Pictures Library" however, that same folder X will not have the arrange by name setting applied.
Even worse, if one changes any folder in the Library to arrange by name, it is applied to all the folders in the Library, even the parent folders!!
Please fix this huge inconsistency.
1. Make the network icons show activity again.
1. The ability taken out to make new toolbars from dragging a folder to the corner of the desktop.
2. Ability to natively make the superbar totally transparent.
3. Ability to invert (flip) the superbar when placed on the left or right hand of screen.
(start button at the bottom).
1. Add "Delete all" to the context-menu of Jump-Lists.
Deleting them one by one is a pain in the ....
1. The user should be able to choose if he wants:
a. the taskbar only in one display,Thumbnails:
1. Ability to choose between Thumbnails or Icons for filetypes.
1. Bug needs fixing: When typing in the search box, it loses focus constantly.
1. Configurable shortkeys to run the program in it's respective modes.
2. Ability to run it in all modes, including in games.
1. Ability to show animated GIF's.
1. Please give us back Windows Mail.
For people who can't wait, here's how to do it yourself. Windows Mail
1. Bring back volume control to minimized Mediaplayer.
1. Ability to convert/extract/import contact information and emails from .wab and .dxf files (Outlook Express) to Live Mail, Contacts and/or other email clients.
1. A tool to make your own themes.
2. Making more items customizable, like taskbar, menu etc..
3. More free themes, and possibly a live gallery to up/download custom themes.
1. Aero-shake can be quite hard to operate, even more so for people with physical disabilities.
A button to the left of the minimize button would be more user friendly.
2. Make Windows remember individual settings of shortcuts, like for example different shortcuts to explorer folders.
|My System Specs|
|19 Oct 2009||#5|
Today a lot of us are using multi display systems. One essential thing still missing is the ability to stretch desktop over two displays.
When using extended desktop, the user should also be able to choose if he wants the taskbar only in one display, duplicated in both displays or stretch it over both displays.
|My System Specs|
|19 Oct 2009||#7|
I just had to put a new MB in my RC/XP dual boot machine. I was able to run a 'inplace repair' on the the XP side and it fixed the boot failure and kept all my programs installed. This has come up several time during my history with XP.
However, I had to reinstall all of my programs under Win 7. Please put XP's 'inplace repair' (or whatever it is called) in Win 7.
|My System Specs|
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Similar help and support threads|
MSN requests problem
hello mates... i am facing problwm from few days back that when i send request then i get a message i forgot.. can any one plz help me?
What are these? Do we get BFF lockets? Is there room for an ALF on anybodys friends list?
I've received a few or these and rejected them. I'd just like to say to the people that set them to me, its nothing personal. I'm not antisocial or anything I guess I just didn't get the point of them. I guess I'm old school because I don't tweet, facebook or hang out on MSN. The first couple were...
Is there a link on this forum that discusses friendship requests? I am fairly new and have had several people ask to be friends. I don't object and click accept but I wonder if that is all that is required. Is it rude to not ask them to be my friends also or is that automatic? Just looking...
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:41.