Jacee, you have to be able to login to do a repair install, right?
Sounds like System File Checker may resolve this for you if you run it from the Windows install disc Command Prompt:
How to run chkdsk or System File Checker (SFC) from the Recovery Console
- Boot your Vista or Windows 7 installation DVD
- When you see "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", press Enter
- At the "Install Windows" screen, click on Repair your computer at lower left
- At the System Recovery Options screen, make note of the drive letter assigned to your boot drive (normally C and click Next
- At the Chose a Recovery Tool window, click on Command Prompt. You will be sitting at X:\Sources directory
- Run chkdsk or SFC
- If you did not note the drive letter of your boot disk, you can enter bcdedit and look at the osdevice line to see what it is.
- For chkdsk, type chkdsk c: /r and press Enter (use the letter from above if not C.
- For sfc, type sfc /scannow /offbootdir=c:\ /offwindir=c:\windows and press Enter (use the letter from above)
Let either run to completion undisturbed. Vista or Windows 7:
If you don't have a install DVD, you can download a legal copy here: Windows 7 Direct Download Links Download Official Windows Vista RTM with SP1 Setup Files (32-bit and 64-bit)
I recommend using ImgBurn
at 4X speed (or the slowest available) to create the DVD from the downloaded .iso file. You can do this on any computer capable of burning a DVD.
You can also create a bootable USB Flash drive (4GB or larger) to install Windows 7 from.
- Download and run Universal USB Installer – Easy as 1 2 3
- Select Windows 7 from the first drop down list, all the way to the bottom
- Select the downloaded Windows 7 iso file
- Select your USB flash drive
- Click Create
For techies or folks who work on computers: Create Windows 7 Universal ISO With All Editions Selection On Install with ei.cfg Removal Utility
This will fit on a 6GB flash drive or can be burned to a DVD.
Make sure you get the same version you have installed: 32 or 64 bit; Home Premium, Pro or Ultimate.