Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer powers up, but nothing on display.

09 Aug 2013   #1
Wiznet

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Computer powers up, but nothing on display.

Hello all! Recently my computer has been giving me some strange troubles.

The Past Two Days:


Two days ago I was messing with overclocking my pc (via n overclock dial that is on my motherboard) and had it all working fine, but decided I didn't need to overclock. After bringing my ghz back to its normal speed (3.3) I started to have some strange problems.

The cpu speed was ranging from 800-3500 and changing every couple of seconds. My frame rate in all my games was capping at 15 frames a second. Lastly, the computer took a couple tries to turn on successfully because sometimes it would start up but the monitor wouldn't display anything.

I had this problem again this morning but it finally booted through. I restarted my computer again because I updated a driver and now it just doesn't load in period.

Also I recently cleaned my pc including the fans, inside of the case, and the cpu fan with paper towels, cotton swabs, and air duster.

What I have tried:
  • Resetting my cmos
  • Unplugging everything.
  • Cleaning dust off of everything.

Computer Specs:
  • Geforce GTX 560
  • AMD Phenom II x6 1100t
  • 1tb black calv hard drive
  • 8gb of ram
  • MSI 890fxa-gd70 (3.3ghz)
  • Cooler Master full tower case
  • (Not too sure which power supply however)


If you have any other questions please feel free to ask! All help is greatly appreciated.


Have a wonderful day!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Aug 2013   #2
Indianatone

Windows 7 x64 Ultimate and numerous virtual machines
 
 

Hi WIznet. Sounds to me like a corrupted video driver. CPU speed going from 800Mhz to 3.5GHZ is normal with cool and quiet. Try starting your machine in safe mode and verify the display works. Then reload the NVidia video card driver doing a clean install. Did you overclock the video card or did your machine crash in a big way whilst overclocking the cpu? You may need Drivesweeper Guru3D - Driver Sweeper to remove the video driver before you can reinstall it. SafeMSI.exe - Start Windows Installer Service in Safe Mode will enable you to unistall corrupted drivers from safe mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2013   #3
Wiznet

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Indianatone View Post
Hi WIznet. Sounds to me like a corrupted video driver. CPU speed going from 800Mhz to 3.5GHZ is normal with cool and quiet. Try starting your machine in safe mode and verify the display works. Then reload the NVidia video card driver doing a clean install. Did you overclock the video card or did your machine crash in a big way whilst overclocking the cpu? You may need Drivesweeper Guru3D - Driver Sweeper to remove the video driver before you can reinstall it. SafeMSI.exe - Start Windows Installer Service in Safe Mode will enable you to unistall corrupted drivers from safe mode.
Could be that yah. How can I boot into safe mode though since nothing appears on the monitor? I would also like to add that my mouse and keyboard aren't connecting either. Also it says that there is no dvi signal.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Aug 2013   #4
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

That does not sound too good....I wonder if you overclocked to high and broke something...(I hope not)
Do you smell anything burnt or see black spots anywhere?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Aug 2013   #5
Wiznet

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
That does not sound too good....I wonder if you overclocked to high and broke something...(I hope not)
Do you smell anything burnt or see black spots anywhere?
Nothing smells burnt or any black spots. It would stay at around 47-50c while overclocked. I did do a quick stress test once that brought it too 62c but I immediately turned it off once hit it 62c.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #6
Wiznet

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Could the Mobo be fried?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #7
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

1.) Try this: Remove every single part (Which I am aware you have done) but this time look closely where everything is plugged in, and check for dark spots. Including Ram. Everything.
Remove the heat sink from your processor. Check for black or a weird smell. If it looks okay, lift the CPU out and inspect it. I would clean the thermal paste off and reapply. I assume you are comfortable with this as you built your system yourself correct?
Then reattach the CPU+new thermal paste+heatsink

2.) Try starting your system with the most minimal Ram and parts. Make it as bare bones as you can and see if the system starts okay.
Example: 1 stick of ram and main boot hard drive.
If you do get the computer up and going, back up your data quick!

Then mess with stuff some more and see what happens...add things one at a time. This will allow you to figure out if any parts failed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #8
Wiznet

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
1.) Try this: Remove every single part (Which I am aware you have done) but this time look closely where everything is plugged in, and check for dark spots. Including Ram. Everything.
Remove the heat sink from your processor. Check for black or a weird smell. If it looks okay, lift the CPU out and inspect it. I would clean the thermal paste off and reapply. I assume you are comfortable with this as you built your system yourself correct?
Then reattach the CPU+new thermal paste+heatsink

2.) Try starting your system with the most minimal Ram and parts. Make it as bare bones as you can and see if the system starts okay.
Example: 1 stick of ram and main boot hard drive.
If you do get the computer up and going, back up your data quick!

Then mess with stuff some more and see what happens...add things one at a time. This will allow you to figure out if any parts failed.
Will try that also. Again, could the DVD cable just be bad?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #9
DocBrown

Win7 Enterprise, Win7 x86 (Ult 7600), Win7 x64 Ult 7600, TechNet RTM on AMD x64 (2.8Ghz)
 
 

Is it possible to connect a monitor with a standard VGA cable ? Then Boot with a simple Linux CD Boot Disc to see if you get any video & a Bios screen ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Aug 2013   #10
Wiznet

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Is it possible to connect a monitor with a standard VGA cable ? Then Boot with a simple Linux CD Boot Disc to see if you get any video & a Bios screen ?
I will also try this but I will need to get a VGA cable. It will boot automatically from the disc though right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer powers up, but nothing on display.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
powers on but no display, boot, beeps
i have this pc about 7 yrs. it powers on but no disp. boot beeps, but the fans, hdd, dvd rom works. my psu is not branded btw. 540w, and the prob occured when i smelled something burned or toased. i just cant tell surelly. note: i have no vcard, also tried reseating cmos. checked the cpu hsf...
Hardware & Devices
pc powers on but no display, beep or anything
so i had this 6 yr old pc when i turn on the power it doesnt show any display, bios, or beep sounds. before this.problem occured i just cleaned out the dust inside.the pc.and after i turned it on.in displays.nothing. i also tried seating the loosen parts properly i also tried reseting the bios...
Hardware & Devices
StandBy / Hibernation off - Computer still powers off.
Hi all, I am using Win7. I occasionally use powercfg -h off to disable Standby / Hibernation. Most often if I am running some long-time activities in the background where I am away from the screen. I noticed, that the computer still powers down (not shutdown). This is confirmed with Event...
Performance & Maintenance
computer powers off after being on for 3-10 seconds
Ok well we had some lighting today but power did not go off, maybe made some of the things flicker for half a second. After PC shut down went to go turn it back on, would boot for a few seconds but then turn off, never got the beep from the mobo or anything Things i tired. Different power...
Hardware & Devices
Advent Roma 2000 - Constantly powers on/off with no display.
Hi Specs: Advent Roma 2000 Intel Celeron C900 Win 7 Home Premium 4GB DDR2 320GB HDD Intel Mobile 4 Series Graphics
Hardware & Devices
Computer Powers Off (Randomly?)
Hey all, first post here so stay with me. So as of the last week my computer has been randomly shutting itself off completely. No error screen, no hanging, no BSOD, just completely turning itself off forcing me to use the button to reboot. It boots up fine aside from the improper shut down...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App