Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Another 32bit/64 bit question. Not the normal one thoug

22 Oct 2009   #1
Jacen

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 
Another 32bit/64 bit question. Not the normal one thoug

I own a copy of the retail version and I know the product code is good for only installing either the 32 or 64 bit version. I also read that if I activate the key, the key will be tied to that version.

I have 4 computers and 4 retail copies. However, 2 of the computers only have 1 GB of RAM and the 64 bit takes up about 800MB. I am planning on installing the 32 bit version on those computers. NO. I do not plan on buying anymore RAM at this moment.

Since it is retail I am able to move then from computer to computer. I would like to know if down the road I uninstall the 32 bit from one computer and then reinstall the 64 bit on another if there would be any problems?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #2
Night Hawk

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, XP Mode, W8.1 Preview VM - 7 Pro x64 second remote tower
 
 

The product key included with the retail 7 covers both the 32bit and 64bit disks that come in the same retail package. Since you bought 4 pairs of disks each pair will have it's own product key regardless if you change from the 32bit to the 64bit or vice versa.

Obviously with two systems only seeing 1gb of memory apiece the 32bit Windowss would be the best move for each of those. But even for the 32bit 7 you will want to consider upgrading the ram to 2gb for a more stable smoother installation on those two machines.

That extra gig is worth the effort since even back with XP moving up from 1gb to 2gb made a vast difference in overall system stability and performance. This would be something to consider later since memory prices have come down considerably.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #3
Jacen

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
The product key included with the retail 7 covers both the 32bit and 64bit disks that come in the same retail package. Since you bought 4 pairs of disks each pair will have it's own product key regardless if you change from the 32bit to the 64bit or vice versa.

Obviously with two systems only seeing 1gb of memory apiece the 32bit Windowss would be the best move for each of those. But even for the 32bit 7 you will want to consider upgrading the ram to 2gb for a more stable smoother installation on those two machines.

That extra gig is worth the effort since even back with XP moving up from 1gb to 2gb made a vast difference in overall system stability and performance. This would be something to consider later since memory prices have come down considerably.
To my understanding you only get one product key. That single key can be used to activate either the 32 bit or 64 bit. Once the key is used then that key is linked to that bit choice otherwise I would be able to install 2 products on 4 different PC's.

My concern is I have an older PC that is not going to run the 64 bit. My plan is to just install the 32 bit version and someday when I buy a new computers I can simply uninstall the 32 bit bit from the old computer and then reinstall the 64 bit with the same key on the new computer. I just don't know if Microsoft will let me without calling them first. I am confident that if I needed to call them it would not be an issue.



Does that make sense.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Oct 2009   #4
Night Hawk

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, XP Mode, W8.1 Preview VM - 7 Pro x64 second remote tower
 
 

If you have more then one machine in separate locations instead of at home you would then need a volume license rather then the 4 disks you have there. MS isn't worried about how many times you reinstall Windows on your own system.

For what you want there buying only one retail disk with a Multiple Activation Key otherwise known as a Volume License Key would have been less costly for running 7 on more then one machine. If you bought 4 separate retail boxes each seeing it's own product key you would simply choose between the 32bit or 64bit having one pair set aside for one machine.

For use of key on more then one machine this will help explain things in much more detail. Windows Volume Activation | Guide List | Vista & Windows Server 2008
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #5
Jacen

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Thanks for getting back to me and I understand everything you are saying. I guess I am giving to much information.

All I would like to know is:

If I install Windows 7 Pro 32 bit with product key "A" and next year I buy a newer computer that can handle 64 bit, can I uninstall the 32 bit from the other computer and then reinstall the 64 bit on the new one with the same product key?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #6
Zidane24

Windows 7 Home Premium x64 - Mac OS X 10.6.4 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen View Post
Thanks for getting back to me and I understand everything you are saying. I guess I am giving to much information.

All I would like to know is:

If I install Windows 7 Pro 32 bit with product key "A" and next year I buy a newer computer that can handle 64 bit, can I uninstall the 32 bit from the other computer and then reinstall the 64 bit on the new one with the same product key?
Yes you can though you might have to contact tech support for them to override the product key. Make sure that the older computer has no remnants of the OS and its activation before making the switch

The only time this isn't possible is with an OEM license due to those being locked into the activated machine's BIOS
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #7
Jacen

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Night Hawk View Post
If you have more then one machine in separate locations instead of at home you would then need a volume license rather then the 4 disks you have there. MS isn't worried about how many times you reinstall Windows on your own system.

For what you want there buying only one retail disk with a Multiple Activation Key otherwise known as a Volume License Key would have been less costly for running 7 on more then one machine. If you bought 4 separate retail boxes each seeing it's own product key you would simply choose between the 32bit or 64bit having one pair set aside for one machine.

For use of key on more then one machine this will help explain things in much more detail. Windows Volume Activation | Guide List | Vista & Windows Server 2008
Thanks for the infor on the volume license. The only reason I have 4 retail is because (1) copy is from the Launch Party and (3) copies are at the student price. Essentially I got 4 copies for 90 bucks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #8
Jacen

Windows 7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Zidane24 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Jacen View Post
Thanks for getting back to me and I understand everything you are saying. I guess I am giving to much information.

All I would like to know is:

If I install Windows 7 Pro 32 bit with product key "A" and next year I buy a newer computer that can handle 64 bit, can I uninstall the 32 bit from the other computer and then reinstall the 64 bit on the new one with the same product key?
Yes you can though you might have to contact tech support for them to override the product key. Make sure that the older computer has no remnants of the OS and its activation before making the switch

The only time this isn't possible is with an OEM license due to those being locked into the activated machine's BIOS
That is kind of what I was thinking. My plan is anytime I decide to purchase a new computer, I will reformat the old one back to factory state so i can continue to use my retail disks.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Oct 2009   #9
Night Hawk

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, XP Mode, W8.1 Preview VM - 7 Pro x64 second remote tower
 
 

Actually the bond with an OEM disk is to the serial number as well as hardware profile with one board. One disk per one machine is simply the license agreement while any branded OEM will be stricly tied to the prepackaged hardwares there not allowing much room for upgrading things.

With the retail releases you keep the disk while dumping one system for the next when the time comes to upgrade everything. You just can't run multiple machines at the same time with the exact same product key which essentially is the license for use of the OS you pay for.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Another 32bit/64 bit question. Not the normal one thoug




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
I have a question about x64 runing 32bit software.
Hi, I have a question about windows. I installed windows 7 pro x64, and a friend told me that you can not install 32bit application on a x64, I though that you can install both 64bit and 32bit on a x64 system, Is this true or not. Why I'm asking is because I use alot of 32bit application's and...
Software
IE9 32bit/64 bit question
Does IE9 64-bit save the temporary internet cache/cookies/history in the same folder as the 32-bit version? I have used the excellent sevenforums tutorial on creating the Internet Properties shortcut in the Taskbar but don't know if the two different versions use two different Internet...
Browsers & Mail
Updating from windows 7 32bit to 64 bit-simple question.
Hi there, I'm looking to update my windows 7 home premium from 32bit to 64bit. My question is, will this affect all the partitions on my hdd? Its 1TB split into D:100GB for the OS, D:200GB for games and the other E: for music, movies etc. I only ask because it would be a pain to back up everything...
Installation & Setup
To do or not to do that is the question! 32bit / 64bit install updates
Apologies if question has been asked before. Microsoft informs me that I have 143Mb to update, on looking at the updates prior to downloading & installing, I notice that 80+Mb is for windows 32 bit system, I am running 64bit, is it advisable to install, if not how do I rid myself of the nag that...
Windows Updates & Activation
Question about GTA:SA compatibility with Win7 32bit
I wanna know is GTA:SA compatibile with Windows 7 32bit? i heard that some people they're having crashes, system hang-up's and one mentioned BSOD :rolleyes: etc. I really wanna play it coz i modded my GTA:SA and put more than 100 realistic cars in it and want to give it a try again but without any...
Gaming
VM Question: Run 32Bit app in 32Bit VM on a 64 bit
I am new to VM. My processor wont do XP Mode so I have to use VirtualBox. ( I choose it because it uses less resources than VMware) How on earth do I set up a copy of 32 bit windows xp on my win 7 64 bit PC? I need the XP 32 bit VM to run 32 bit versions of Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 0r...
Virtualization

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:07.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App