Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: UpdatusUser suddenly appeared - What is it?

23 Sep 2013   #1
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 
UpdatusUser suddenly appeared - What is it?

Installing W7, going well. First noticed on old install, must have occurred in only the last few days. Almost done the basic install with updates, today and noticed it. It is installed under boot/User account and it is marked that the administrative account does not have access to the folder..
It does not show up in the User Accounts!!!!! Is it malware?
Thanks for any info!
Glenn


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Sep 2013   #2
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Glenn,

Do you have NVIDIA by chance?

Beginning with Release 270 drivers for desktops, when NVIDIA Update is installed, the software creates the UpdatusUser account. This account runs the NVIDIA Update service for updating application profiles through the NVIDIA server. Again, the service cannot be run without this account.

The article belows describes the purpose and security of the UpdatusUser account created on Optimus notebooks as well as by the NVIDIA Update software.

What is NVIDIA 'UpdatusUser'

Hope this helps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2013   #3
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Just an extra bit of added (and probably useless) info here. I found the UpdatusUser folder in my Users folder and wondering what it was did a bit of Googling, I obviously found some bad info as a few different pages said it was a useless folder created by nVidia. So 50% of that information was right. Anyway, I deleted the contents of the folder (a duplicate of my user folder) and then deleted the parent folder.
Upon deleting it a new TEMP folder was created which was again an exact replica of my User folder, so I'm guessing that's a backup plan from nVidia in case anything happens to the UpdatusUser folder. I checked GeForce Experience when the latest drivers were released a couple of days ago and it had discovered new WHQL drivers were available so that's working OK.

You can also see that the TEMP folder has been updated today so it's doing something, I'm pretty sure it's an UpdatusUser replacement folder.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 27
Size:  54.2 KB


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


23 Sep 2013   #4
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Brink View Post
Hello Glenn,

Do you have NVIDIA by chance?

Beginning with Release 270 drivers for desktops, when NVIDIA Update is installed, the software creates the UpdatusUser account. This account runs the NVIDIA Update service for updating application profiles through the NVIDIA server. Again, the service cannot be run without this account.

The article belows describes the purpose and security of the UpdatusUser account created on Optimus notebooks as well as by the NVIDIA Update software.

What is NVIDIA 'UpdatusUser'

Hope this helps.
You bet it helped! What a relief during a new install. Removed the NVidia Update Program from Control Panel and it auto removed the UpatusUser Account. Many thanks!!
Glenn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2013   #5
Brink
Microsoft MVP

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

You're most welcome.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2013   #6
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
Just an extra bit of added (and probably useless) info here. I found the UpdatusUser folder in my Users folder and wondering what it was did a bit of Googling, I obviously found some bad info as a few different pages said it was a useless folder created by nVidia. So 50% of that information was right. Anyway, I deleted the contents of the folder (a duplicate of my user folder) and then deleted the parent folder.
Upon deleting it a new TEMP folder was created which was again an exact replica of my User folder, so I'm guessing that's a backup plan from nVidia in case anything happens to the UpdatusUser folder. I checked GeForce Experience when the latest drivers were released a couple of days ago and it had discovered new WHQL drivers were available so that's working OK.

You can also see that the TEMP folder has been updated today so it's doing something, I'm pretty sure it's an UpdatusUser replacement folder.

Attachment 287041
Howdy Boozad,
I will look around for whatever may be left. Like I noted, found on the NVidia Forum about uninstalling the update program and it did delete that account. Will double check, thanks!
Glenn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2013   #7
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by glennc View Post
Howdy Boozad,
I will look around for whatever may be left. Like I noted, found on the NVidia Forum about uninstalling the update program and it did delete that account. Will double check, thanks!
Glenn
Hi mate,

You should be good after uninstalling the software, I just deleted the folders and left the software on. It's a good job really as I want the update software running so the backup TEMP folder (if that's what it is) was a bonus.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2013   #8
glennc

Windows 7 Ultimate
 
 

Hello,
Yes it worked out for me, glad all is well!
Glenn
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 UpdatusUser suddenly appeared - What is it?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
A SkyDrive folder suddenly appeared, where did it come from?
I've googled, but I haven't found an explanation of how the folder could suddenly appear by itself. Is it evidence of a virus? The folder does have a timestamp near the time I signed up for a free trial of MS Office, but it's disturbing to think that trying Office caused this folder to appear in my...
System Security
System folders & files suddenly appeared in Libraries/Documents
My sister has used windows pcs very productively for many years and currently has a 4-year old Win 7 64bit pc with 8gb ram. Her 500 Gb HDD is only 40% full. The other week, doing something in Windows Explorer, she suddenly found that many system folders/files had appeared in her...
Software
UpdatusUser folder mysteriously appears
My C:\Users folder has a subfolder called: C:\Users\UpdatusUser It has all of the normal subfolders. I am very suspicious. Is this a trojan?
System Security
WinRE (G:) Drive suddenly appeared in Windows Explorer?
Hello dear forumers, I am worrying about WinRE (G:) drive which suddenly appeared in Computer (Windows Explorer) window since today. It was never displayed there, and I knew its a system drive that is hidden by default. Under the name and the used space bar, it says "3,35 GB free of 11,9...
General Discussion
phantom 'Local Disk Q' suddenly appeared
i suddenly have 'Local Disk Q' on my drive list in windows explorer, which of course i cannot access. disk management only shows volume c and d and the dvd drive, as it should. what might cause that and how do i eliminate it?
Performance & Maintenance
Language bar suddenly appeared
after a bad crash trying to get an ancient game to play, my language bar suddenly appeared out of the blue. i have no need for it, so i chose it to be hidden, although i really would like todisable it completely, rather than just hide it. i also now a green 'EN' box appearing in my...
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:48.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App