Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: About old/new file for a software

20 Oct 2013   #1
Nirhahs

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 
About old/new file for a software

ok, i've recently re-install my windows 7. and now i just want to keep my win 7 not mess up and have more space. my question is, is there any other new file in C:\windows or system32 come up after I install a new software? except the c:\program file. or any other remaining data or registry saved even after i uninstall the program from control panel? sorry for my english.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
20 Oct 2013   #2
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

If you want a perfected image of everything exactly the way it is now, you can create a system image which is essentially a picture of your drive with everything the way it is now.

So if you were to restore this system image, it would return everything to the way it is at this moment it was taken.

See here:

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup


If your asking where the locations as to where most programs install themselves, to check for complete removal the following folders/areas are common:

-Program files
-The users appdata folder
-Startup entries
-Services
-In the registry under Hkey/current users/software
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2013   #3
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

If you install programs, you also get .dlls (like subroutines) that end up in the system32 folder. If you uninstall those programs, the .dlls remain in your system. That's why the winsxs folder grows over time. The winsxs folder is not a real folder but a kind of directory of most system files/folders.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

20 Oct 2013   #4
Nirhahs

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
If you want a perfected image of everything exactly the way it is now, you can create a system image which is essentially a picture of your drive with everything the way it is now.

So if you were to restore this system image, it would return everything to the way it is at this moment it was taken.

See here:

Backup Complete Computer - Create an Image Backup


If your asking where the locations as to where most programs install themselves, to check for complete removal the following folders/areas are common:

-Program files
-The users appdata folder
-Startup entries
-Services
-In the registry under Hkey/current users/software
what is that? lol. just that folder? are u sure?is the startup entries and services in folder?

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
If you install programs, you also get .dlls (like subroutines) that end up in the system32 folder. If you uninstall those programs, the .dlls remain in your system. That's why the winsxs folder grows over time. The winsxs folder is not a real folder but a kind of directory of most system files/folders.
so, the software name, the extensions is .dlls? can we just delete it? is it under any folder in system32??
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Oct 2013   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote:
so, the software name, the extensions is .dlls? can we just delete it? is it under any folder in system32
I think you did not understand the concept. .dlls are subroutines that belong to one or several programs and are stored in the system32 folder. If you delete them, one or several programs (or the whole system) will malfunction.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2013   #6
Nirhahs

windows 7 ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
so, the software name, the extensions is .dlls? can we just delete it? is it under any folder in system32
I think you did not understand the concept. .dlls are subroutines that belong to one or several programs and are stored in the system32 folder. If you delete them, one or several programs (or the whole system) will malfunction.
yea, i didnt understand :/
ok, in example i install FIFA 13, then uninstall it. so there is remain data .dlls for the fifa in system32?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2013   #7
LukeIsBack

Windows 7 Ultimate x86
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Nirhahs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote:
so, the software name, the extensions is .dlls? can we just delete it? is it under any folder in system32
I think you did not understand the concept. .dlls are subroutines that belong to one or several programs and are stored in the system32 folder. If you delete them, one or several programs (or the whole system) will malfunction.
yea, i didnt understand :/
ok, in example i install FIFA 13, then uninstall it. so there is remain data .dlls for the fifa in system32?
Yes, windows will store data, but it can store in for example D:/Games/Fifa13 or somewhere else, and if you wanna completly delete the file you have to use an adicional program, like CC Cleaner...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2013   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Data is one matter - .dlls are another. The reason why .dlls cannot be deleted is their concept. They are subroutines which can be used by any program - regardless which program originally installed them.

Example: Program A installs .dlls a1, a2 and a3. Next day you install program B which brings .dlls b1 and a2. Since a2 is already installed, program B will use that.

If you now uninstall program A, the uninstaller cannot uninstall .dlls a1, a2 and a3 because it does not know which other programs might be using those .dlls (in our case program B using .dll a2). So to be on the safe side, all .dlls that are in the system remain in the system - regardless whether the original source programs are still present or not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2013   #9
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

Excellent post whs. Lots of great information.
They never let me rep. you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
21 Oct 2013   #10
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
Excellent post whs. Lots of great information.
They never let me rep. you.
Thanks and don't worry about the reps.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 About old/new file for a software




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
File and important encryption software ?
Hello guys so I am looking for software that I can hide files in like true crypt (I have been told this has been hacked by police ) Is there any other software out there or a safe alternative to truecrypt Need to hide sensitive data files and stuff, Does anyone know of something like...
Software
Do you have a prefered file compression software or file format?
Iuse winrar and need to know if there are any differences between the different compression formats ( zip, rar, tar) and if one of them is more robust than the rest?
Backup and Restore
Logitech G27 software is only a file
Hi I tried to d/l logitech driver for my G27 wheel, however, it's not an exe but a file. I had no problems installing this software before. The wheel should be PnP, it's listed in the devices and printer section though. Here's some screenshots.
Gaming
File cure software program.
I downloaded what was advertised as free software called "File Cure" to allow me to open certain files that I could not get to open. When I tried to use it they said I had to register and pay $29.95 to use the sofware. I went to control panel/unistall programs and removed the entry for "file...
Software
Please suggest file undelete software
Is there any really functioning and clever file undelete applications? I have tried several but results are poor even when using on extended disk immediately after deletion by mistake. (when on disk haven't been any other activities) Accordingly I'd divide application into two: 1. Easy, quick...
Software
Need a software to open .bkf file(windows XP backup file)
i hav recently reinstalled windows 7 from windows xp ..... and i hav created my games backup file ......... but nw i m having a trouble to open it in windows 7...... plz help me
Backup and Restore


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App