Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows Explorer crash upon startup, no BSoD

10 Nov 2013   #1
RGavin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 
Windows Explorer crash upon startup, no BSoD

Hello! My name is Gavin, and my problem today is that I have a constant crash of Windows Explorer upon startup and can't seem to get it fixed. I'll provide some details below.




Safe Mode:
Loaded once, and then continued to crash after. Checked multiple times, still crashing.

Regular Boot:
Loads up desktop, occasionally files and shortcuts. Windows Explorer crashes shortly after, but no BSoD.

Computer Specifications:
Laptop
Toshiba Satellite A505-S6980
Intel Core 2 Duo T6600 @ 2.4 Ghz
Integrated Graphics [Family Chipset]
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit


If you guys could help, that would be amazing, and I would very much appreciate it, as I am a music composer and have some deadlines soon!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
10 Nov 2013   #2
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Hello and welcome RGavin mate go back into safe mode (power on and tap F8) and run these


http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

for starters.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Nov 2013   #3
RGavin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Hello and welcome RGavin mate go back into safe mode (power on and tap F8) and run these


http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/433-disk-check.html

for starters.
Hello, ICit2lol, I booted into safe mode with command prompt so that explorer wouldn't crash, and ran a check disk, it came up with 2 errors in index $I30 for file 142135. It proceeded to tell me that it could not continue in read only mode. The integrity check didn't find any violations.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

10 Nov 2013   #4
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Gavin having a bit to do with Toshies over a while now I would be interested if you could run Speccy and let us know what the temps are. Speccy - Download < from piriform.

This could be heat thing and if you are up for it it isn't that hard to fix the problem - if it is a heat problem!

Now if you cannot get onto the net get a mate to make a Speccy install for you on a stick and download it in safe mode and run.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2013   #5
RGavin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Gavin having a bit to do with Toshies over a while now I would be interested if you could run Speccy and let us know what the temps are. Speccy - Download < from piriform.

This could be heat thing and if you are up for it it isn't that hard to fix the problem - if it is a heat problem!

Now if you cannot get onto the net get a mate to make a Speccy install for you on a stick and download it in safe mode and run.
Hey, im busy throughout the week, but I have all day today. I downloaded speccy, but its just a program. I can't run programs since it still crashes in safe mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2013   #6
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Sorry late reply Gavin but maybe a time to run a memtest mate it does not require an OS to run so all you need to make a is a bootable disk (see link) and set the BIOS to boot from the optical and let it run for at least 8 passes.

Now if it comes up with errors straight away (see pic) then you need not go any further because if you have two sticks of RAM as I am assuming you just need to test each on it's own with memtest to find which stick is bad. Then it is just a case of replacing it.

However it does take a long time to run so be prepared for a long wait, but at least it will eliminate this being a cause of your problems.
RAM - Test with Memtest86+ if the tests come up nothing then that is one less major item causing the problems.


Attached Thumbnails
-memtesterror.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2013   #7
RGavin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ICit2lol View Post
Sorry late reply Gavin but maybe a time to run a memtest mate it does not require an OS to run so all you need to make a is a bootable disk (see link) and set the BIOS to boot from the optical and let it run for at least 8 passes.

Now if it comes up with errors straight away (see pic) then you need not go any further because if you have two sticks of RAM as I am assuming you just need to test each on it's own with memtest to find which stick is bad. Then it is just a case of replacing it.

However it does take a long time to run so be prepared for a long wait, but at least it will eliminate this being a cause of your problems.
RAM - Test with Memtest86+ if the tests come up nothing then that is one less major item causing the problems.
I've already ran 2 passes of memtest86+ with no errors showing up, do you think it could be the hard drive?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2013   #8
andrew129260

Windows 7 Professional x64 Sp1
 
 

Sounds like the HDD is on the way out. Do you have your data backed up?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Nov 2013   #9
RGavin

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Sounds like the HDD is on the way out. Do you have your data backed up?
some of the more important stuff I do, but after this mem test I'll back it up
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Nov 2013   #10
ICIT2LOL

Desk1 7 Home Prem / Desk2 10 Pro / Main lap Asus ROG 10 Pro 2 laptop Toshiba 7 Pro Asus P2520 7 & 10
 
 

Yep if the memtest is not showing after the 8 passes then as Andrew says mate get it all backed up. You can do an image or a clone really makes no difference an image is probably best but cloning is ok as long as you clone form small to large it will not usually work the other way round ie 320GB to 500GB ok 500GB - 1TB ok 1TB - 500GB no.

Two programs you can use for free and I use them all the time is Macrium and Partition Wizard the latter can also be used for surface testing of the hard drive if it comes to that.

You will find a link to Macrium in here
Imaging with free Macrium

Partition Wizard here Best Free Partition Manager Freeware and free partition magic for Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Vista and Windows XP 32 bit & 64 bit. MiniTool Free Partition Manager Software Home Edition.

both are really good tools to keep for future use the PW also has a data recovery section now so even better
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows Explorer crash upon startup, no BSoD




Thread Tools




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
【Explorer Crash】netcfgx.dll caused explorer.exe crash
When I opened the local connection properties, or saved the settings, explorer.exe crashed. I found the fault module is netcfgx.dll, how to fix it? Thanks in advance. Below is the application log info: Log Name: C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Temp\notesC4A9C8\applicationProgram.evt...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD crash on first startup (new computer)
Hi, I just bought two identical Asus Desktop computers. The first one works fine. On the second computer, when I login into Windows, I receive a BSOD (that happens right after I enter the login password). It happened on my very first startup attempt so I did not install anything. (I only...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD crash at windows startup
Okay so I've had this problem about few weeks now and I thought I should post it here. Almost every time when i turn my pc on it crashes. I've seen so far these BSOD errors: Stop 0x000000a, 0x000001a, Stop: 0x0000050 and Stop: 0x00000109. I've attached the zip file which should have the required...
BSOD Help and Support
PLEASE HELP! Window explorer crash in startup!
Everyone can you please help me? I disable the things from the msconfig in order to install HTC sync. I DID check dont show ms services and I disable the rest. I am running Window 7 ultimate 64-bit. When the window start up i just see that box says Window explorer has crash and close the program...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Crash After startup about 5mins after.
Hey, I hope i can get this issue resolved. Basic Info: OS: Windows 7 Home premium x64 Its the original OS that came with the system ALREADY installed. Its about 2 months Old. I haven't reinstalled It at all. (Don't Have a CD) Also attached DXDIAG.txt
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD Crash when startup
Hi when i am trying run the program wireless manager i got that ERROR : Description: Stopped working Problem signature: Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:59.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App