|22 Nov 2013||#1|
| || |
After Windows Update aroundJune 2013 no user icons on login for normal
I have been running two hard drives in my Asus M60J for close to two years. It did not come with an actual Windows CD. I have a HDD which has the original operating system on it (Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit). I have a second SSD running Windows 7 as well. I am able to access the HDD from the operating system on my SSD. Right after Windows required a restart after installing an update the Windows welcome screen comes up with the default blue background with the "EN" icon in the upper left but no users/shutdown icons appear (This is on the HDD, the SSD OS works fine). My cursor is active and I can bring up the sticky key window by pressing the shift key five times. The screen flickers black for a split second and then comes back to the blue graphical background intermittently. Mostly the blue graphical background stays up.
I realize that the normal answer is to restore a previous back, etc. Only one backup shows up from 2009. I would prefer to fix the problem instead of avoiding it. I may be wrong but it feels like this is some kind of minor registry/user account issue or something.
So no user login icon when launching Windows normally or launching safe mode/command prompt.
Here are the things I've tried after Googling and after removing my SSD:
1. I ran offline virus scans and found nothing
2. I booted with a Windows 7 Pro cd I have and tried running the repair. "Startup Repair could not detect a problem. (My HDD is partitioned so I have a d: that contains pictures, etc. for backup. The Windows repair does show my Windows Home Premium as well as second "drive" of zero size.)
The Details link states "OS booted successfully".
3. I ran SFC scannow using command prompt twice. The first time it fixed some stuff. The second time it said it was fine.
4. I ran the memory diagnostic and it said it's fine.
5. I used command prompt to get into regedit. I looked under ProfileList and I only find the three standard "S" entries, systemprofile, LocalService and NetworkService but no specific entries for users.
6. I removed the Windows disc and ran the repair option that comes up under F8. This actually prompted me for a username and password. I was able to login here. I again went into regedit->ProfileList, still no user listed.
7. I also tried to go to regedit->Winlogon and set up the keys to automatically sign in with my username and password. Rebooted and still no user prompt on either normal or safe mode.
The netuser.dat files do exist in the user directory...Not sure if that even matters here...
I can backup my data and reformat but I would really like to figure out a better fix for this...I'm sure if I knew the ins and outs of Windows registry/account architecture this would be an easy fix...Hopefully someone out there knows a relitively easy fix for this. Thanks for taking the time to read.
|My System Specs|
|25 Nov 2013||#4|
| || |
Run System Restore from System Recovery Options.
Confirm the Partition Marked Active is 100mb System Reservd (preferred if you have it) or C, then run Startup Repair - Run up to 3 Separate Times with reboots no matter what it reports.
Other steps here for Troubleshooting Windows 7 Failure to Start include everythng that can possibly be done leading up to if necessary rescuiing your files to fun Factory Recovery or do the vastly superior Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 with our help to get it perfect.
|My System Specs|
|27 Nov 2013||#6|
| || |
Use System Restore which is more comprehensive. Go back before the problem, or as far back as you can. Then install the Updates singly or in small groups to isolate any problem Update. Chances are it won't repeat, or problems can be sorted with a few reboots as per usual.
|My System Specs|
|Similar help and support threads for2: After Windows Update aroundJune 2013 no user icons on login for normal|
|Unable to update Windows 7 SP 1 / Install MS Office 2013||Windows Updates & Activation|
|Can I put the user login icons in the taskbar in W7?||General Discussion|
|user login profile icons disappear after pc sleeps/hibernates overnigh||BSOD Help and Support|
|How long is normal for a Windows 7 update?||Windows Updates & Activation|
|Remove user login icons from login screen?||General Discussion|
|Our Sites ||Site Links ||About Us ||Find Us |
Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.
© Designer Media Ltd
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:14 AM.