Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 X64 Freezing when idle

09 Dec 2013   #1
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 
Windows 7 X64 Freezing when idle

Hello , recently I have been encountering some issues with my laptop freezing when being left idle for even just a few minutes. Until a couple of weeks ago everything seemed to be fine however after system restore , uninstalling programs here and there nothing seems to be helping... Any assistance with the problem would be greatly appreciated

Cheers


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
09 Dec 2013   #2
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

Hi Bibbster .

Please start by providing us with more information:
Please export and upload your system event log:

  1. Start → type eventvwr → hit Enter.
  2. Toggle open the triangle to the left of Windows Logs, right-click on System and choose Save All Events As...
  3. A dialogue box will pop up asking you to name the file and select the save directory, name the file the same as your Seven Forums user-name and save it to the desktop.
  4. A second dialogue box will appear asking you to select the Display Information, select Display information for these languages and check the box next to English (if you don't have English automatically offered check the box at the bottom to display additional languages - Show all available languages and check English).
  5. Wait a few moments until the cursor returns to normal. The file will now be on your desktop (given it's the directory it was saved to) UserName.evtx, next to it there will be a folder called LocaleMetaData select both the .evtx file as well as the folder and compress them using Winrar / 7zip and attach it in your next post.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #3
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YoYo155 View Post
Hi Bibbster .

Please start by providing us with more information:
Please export and upload your system event log:

  1. Start → type eventvwr → hit Enter.
  2. Toggle open the triangle to the left of Windows Logs, right-click on System and choose Save All Events As...
  3. A dialogue box will pop up asking you to name the file and select the save directory, name the file the same as your Seven Forums user-name and save it to the desktop.
  4. A second dialogue box will appear asking you to select the Display Information, select Display information for these languages and check the box next to English (if you don't have English automatically offered check the box at the bottom to display additional languages - Show all available languages and check English).
  5. Wait a few moments until the cursor returns to normal. The file will now be on your desktop (given it's the directory it was saved to) UserName.evtx, next to it there will be a folder called LocaleMetaData select both the .evtx file as well as the folder and compress them using Winrar / 7zip and attach it in your next post.

Here you go Bibbster.zip contains just the event log and Bibbster1.zip contains all the stuff from the bsod tool.


Attached Files
File Type: zip Bibbster.zip (4.77 MB, 1 views)
File Type: zip Bibbster 1.zip (3.29 MB, 1 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

09 Dec 2013   #4
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

Hi thanks for the files .
I see you have the latest BIOS, did you recently update, if so why?

Code:
Error    03/12/2013 19:36:32    iaStor    9    None
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Critical    03/12/2013 19:42:03    Kernel-Power    41    (63)
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Please remove IRST:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc
Get rid of intel rapid storage. First uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and Features.
Then Uninstall the driver from device manager.
  1. Right click on "my computer" icon and click "manage" on the context menu.
  2. It will open the "computer management" window.
  3. Select "Device Manager" in the left pane, It will list all the existing devices up.
  4. Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" by clicking on the triangle in front of it.
  5. Select one Intel device item under it, right click, uninstall.
  6. Continue the process for all Intel items under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
  7. Now restart the computer. At restart, windows will auto configure the appropriate native system driver.

warning   Warning
The Following Method Should NOT Be Performed On An SSD!

Please test the HDD:
  1. Perform a Disk Check | Disk Check- Scroll down to OPTION TWO of the tutorial and use the /R switch in the CHKDSK command | chkdsk C: /R.
  2. Then Post the Disk Check results following | This Tutorial.
  3. Once back in Windows, download Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot (multiple shots if you have more than one drive).
  4. Download SeaTools for DOS if you don't want to use a CD to test the HDD you can use YUMI Multiboot USB Creator to create a bootable USB (instructions are found at the bottom of both pages).
  5. If SeaTools for DOS is unable to recognize your HDD:
  6. Visit HDDdiag and follow the instructions | Or follow the instructions below.
If SeaTools For DOS does not recognize the drive;
Boot into the BIOS using the *Fx key.
Look for an entry called SATA Mode (or something similar), it should be set to IDE / AHCI.
It's probably set to AHCI which is why SeaTools doesn't recognize them in the DOS environment.
Set it to IDE then save and exit usually by pressing the F10 key.
Now boot into SeaTools and it should detect the drives.
Start the Long Test and let it run.
Upon completion don't try to boot into Windows as it will only result in a BSOD, go back into the BIOS
and change the SATA setting back to what it was in the first place.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Re-seat the sata and power.

Let us know the results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #5
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YoYo155 View Post
Hi thanks for the files .
I see you have the latest BIOS, did you recently update, if so why?

Code:
Error    03/12/2013 19:36:32    iaStor    9    None
The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

Critical    03/12/2013 19:42:03    Kernel-Power    41    (63)
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Please remove IRST:
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc
Get rid of intel rapid storage. First uninstall it from Control Panel > Programs and Features.
Then Uninstall the driver from device manager.
  1. Right click on "my computer" icon and click "manage" on the context menu.
  2. It will open the "computer management" window.
  3. Select "Device Manager" in the left pane, It will list all the existing devices up.
  4. Expand "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers" by clicking on the triangle in front of it.
  5. Select one Intel device item under it, right click, uninstall.
  6. Continue the process for all Intel items under "IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers"
  7. Now restart the computer. At restart, windows will auto configure the appropriate native system driver.

warning   Warning
The Following Method Should NOT Be Performed On An SSD!

Please test the HDD:
  1. Perform a Disk Check | Disk Check- Scroll down to OPTION TWO of the tutorial and use the /R switch in the CHKDSK command | chkdsk C: /R.
  2. Then Post the Disk Check results following | This Tutorial.
  3. Once back in Windows, download Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot (multiple shots if you have more than one drive).
  4. Download SeaTools for DOS if you don't want to use a CD to test the HDD you can use YUMI Multiboot USB Creator to create a bootable USB (instructions are found at the bottom of both pages).
  5. If SeaTools for DOS is unable to recognize your HDD:
  6. Visit HDDdiag and follow the instructions | Or follow the instructions below.
If SeaTools For DOS does not recognize the drive;
Boot into the BIOS using the *Fx key.
Look for an entry called SATA Mode (or something similar), it should be set to IDE / AHCI.
It's probably set to AHCI which is why SeaTools doesn't recognize them in the DOS environment.
Set it to IDE then save and exit usually by pressing the F10 key.
Now boot into SeaTools and it should detect the drives.
Start the Long Test and let it run.
Upon completion don't try to boot into Windows as it will only result in a BSOD, go back into the BIOS
and change the SATA setting back to what it was in the first place.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Arc View Post
Re-seat the sata and power.

Let us know the results.
I updated to see if it would help with the problems i was having before i came here, however it didn't.. i will try your other suggestions and get back to you..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #6
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

Was it the same problem or something else (that made you update the BIOS)?

Please do so.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
09 Dec 2013   #7
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YoYo155 View Post
Was it the same problem or something else (that made you update the BIOS)?

Please do so.
The same problem. But it didnt help fix anything
My System SpecsSystem Spec
10 Dec 2013   #8
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

OK. How did the rest of the suggestion fair?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2013   #9
Bibbster

Windows 7 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by YoYo155 View Post
OK. How did the rest of the suggestion fair?
attached is the .txt chkdsk file and also the screenshot from crystal disk. I havent had time to do the other step yet however will get it done asap


Attached Thumbnails
Windows 7 X64 Freezing when idle-untitled.jpg  
Attached Files
File Type: txt CHKDSKResults.txt (29.6 KB, 1 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Dec 2013   #10
YoYo155

Windows 10
 
 

Thanks, the caution is a sign to be a bit worried.
Waiting for the SeaTools results.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 X64 Freezing when idle




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7/8 freezing issue after being idle
Hi everyone. I have an issue that been bothering me non stop lately. I have a custom built pc that was running windows 8.1 up until recently. After a AMD catalyst update I started having an issue that I did experience before but somehow went away. The issue is thar after being iddle for a few...
General Discussion
Idle Process Freezing
The Problem: When my computer goes into idle process/sleep, it freezes completely. It also freezes whenever I run a full system scan with MSE, regardless of what I'm doing to prevent idle process(moving the mouse, pressing keys etc). This problem also occurs when I run scans in Safe Mode. My...
General Discussion
Toshiba laptop freezing when in idle and often get the BSOD
Hi I have a toshiba satellite s305-s5921 that originally came with vista. I have upgraded to windows 7 and have had the freezing in idle and the bsod errors happen many times. I have tried clean boot.. and several other options that should have worked. But often times when I leave the laptop for...
BSOD Help and Support
Computer Freezing after being idle, AODDriver 4.2 error in event log.
Hey guys, I have tried getting support from various other sites and even tried signing up on the AMD forums but they will not send me a verification email and I was wondering if someone can help me? Whenever I come back to the computer after leaving it for a few mins (usually the display turns...
General Discussion
BSOD after waking up from Sleep Mode, freezing when idle.
Hi there, As it says in the title, my computer has all of a sudden started to give me a BSOD about a minute after I wake the computer up from Sleep Mode. Also, if I leave the computer for more than 15 minutes I come back and the computer has frozen so I have to manually restart it. Every once in...
BSOD Help and Support
Win7 freezing when idle
Ever since I made this new system last month so I could upgrade to Win7 I've been having this issue with the computer freezing up if I leave it idle too long. It wasn't that big a deal back when it only seemed to happen if I left it up all night or when I went to work, but it seems to be getting...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App