Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Multiple explorer.exe in task manager hogging most of ram help please?

12 Dec 2013   #11
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

1) If you are using Paint to save your screenshots, grab the lower right corner of the whiteboard area and drag it to the upper left corner. Leave a square that is less than an inch in size. Close Paint while the whiteboard is that size. Then you screenshots should not have all of that white area around them.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

2) Are any of the Explorer instances communicating with the internet?
Resource Monitor > Network tab > Network Activity area.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Dec 2013   #12
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Any more pop-up messages?
Did you reboot?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #13
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
1) If you are using Paint to save your screenshots, grab the lower right corner of the whiteboard area and drag it to the upper left corner. Leave a square that is less than an inch in size. Close Paint while the whiteboard is that size. Then you screenshots should not have all of that white area around them.

Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums

2) Are any of the Explorer instances communicating with the internet?
Resource Monitor > Network tab > Network Activity area.
Here is the network page

Multiple explorer.exe in task manager hogging most of ram help please?-recnetwork.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Dec 2013   #14
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Any more pop-up messages?
Did you reboot?
No more pop ups. Like I said in my eariler post I look at the task manager as soon as the computer starts up and there not multiple explorer.exe at first. Only a little whilel later multiple processes called ctfmon.exe show up at the same time and then go away. After that explorer.exe starts doing it's annoying thing.

Multiple explorer.exe in task manager hogging most of ram help please?-newvir1.jpg


My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #15
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Have a look whether the ctfmon.exe is in the startups. If yes, disable it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #16
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Have a look whether the ctfmon.exe is in the startups. If yes, disable it.
I do not see it under startup or services
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #17
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You don't really need the ctfmon. If you want to kill it, run these 2 commands in a Run box

Regsvr32.exe /u msimtf.dll

Regsvr32.exe /u msctf.dll
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #18
wordstl

64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
You don't really need the ctfmon. If you want to kill it, run these 2 commands in a Run box

Regsvr32.exe /u msimtf.dll

Regsvr32.exe /u msctf.dll
when I attempt this I get this message

The module "msimtf.dll" was loaded but
the call to DllUnregisterServer failed with the error code
0x80004005
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #19
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 
Nuisance

That thing (ctfmon.exe) is a nuisance.
It is like malware.

It will use any random event as an opportunity to run.
On my PC, if I disable Avast (temporarily) ctfmon.exe starts!

It is supposed to provide "language support".
Are you using multiple languages on your PC?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Dec 2013   #20
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wordstl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
You don't really need the ctfmon. If you want to kill it, run these 2 commands in a Run box

Regsvr32.exe /u msimtf.dll

Regsvr32.exe /u msctf.dll
when I attempt this I get this message

The module "msimtf.dll" was loaded but
the call to DllUnregisterServer failed with the error code
0x80004005
Looks like you have more problems in your system. Maybe a startup/repair is in order before we get back to the ctfmon

Startup Repair
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Multiple explorer.exe in task manager hogging most of ram help please?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Black Screen - Can't Run Explorer.exe With Task Manager
Hi guys I have been Googling the answer to this for the last day and nothing has seemed to work. Basically, my laptop was working fine until this morning, when I restarted it. After the Welcome screen, just a back screen with the mouse. CTRL ALT DEL and all that still work normally. I can run...
Performance & Maintenance
Multiple explorer.exe instances, hogging CPU and RAM. Annoying
Hello guys, All of a sudden, my explorer.exe has started acting all funny and started to hog CPU as well as RAM. Sometimes, 8-10 instances of explorer.exe will be running when i have nothing open! As I am writing this, my RAM usage is at 95%, All i am using is firefox with one other tab open....
General Discussion
Win7- Lost access to task manager and explorer.exe
My computer stopped working after getting infected with a virus. I used an Ubuntu live CD with avast to delete all the viruses from my system. But now every time I start my computer, it just shows the background with no taskbar or icons and I can't right click anywhere so I assumed that...
System Security
Windows Explorer keeps restarting, task manager unavailable.
Hello Friends I am currently experiencing consistent restarting (every few seconds) of Windows Explorer on my PC. And this has caused the desktop to be unavailable/inaccessible. I'm desperate :cry:. To find out the error which is causing this, I need to access task manager (event viewer), which...
General Discussion
Multiple QTTab Explorer Folders - Task Manager
QTTabBar is causing windows explorer folders to appear in the task manager. How do I prevent this ? http://f.cl.ly/items/0P0t2v2u372L1s1H0r1O/26-windowsfromQTTab.JPG
Software
Multiple explorer.exe listed in task manager
Looked in the task manager today and noticed 4 separate entries for explorer.exe / windows explorer. Is this normal? Or does it indicate a problem? Windows 7 32 bit system. Thank you for your time, Steve
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App