Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Professional?

18 Dec 2013   #1
KillerGamer

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 
Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Professional?

I have been hearing a lot about Windows 8 being bad for gaming (compared to Windows 7) and hence, I decided to go for a copy of Windows 7. However, before I purchase it, I wanted to know that is Windows 7 Ultimate better or Windows 7 Professional? My main purpose will be gaming and using MS Office 2007 for school projects and stuff. Thanks in advance!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Dec 2013   #2
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

One is no better then the other, save yourself some money and just get Home Premium. It`ll be fine for your needs.

If you intend on having more then 16 GBs of memory, you have to install at least Professional 64 Bit

http://www.pcworld.idg.com.au/articl..._professional/

Compare Windows 7 Editions

http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-7...n-the-editions

http://helpdeskgeek.com/windows-7/windows-7-versions/


Aren`t you running Ultimate 64 bit now ? As per your specs ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2013   #3
KillerGamer

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
One is no better then the other, save yourself some money and just get Home Premium. It`ll be fine for your needs.

If you intend on having more then 16 GBs of memory, you have to install at least Professional 64 Bit

Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Windows 7 Professional - Windows 7 - Good Gear Guide by PC World Australia

Compare Windows 7 Editions

Windows 7, what's the difference between the editions? - Neowin

Windows 7 Version Comparison - Home, Professional, Ultimate - Help Desk Geek


Aren`t you running Ultimate 64 bit now ? As per your specs ?
I was in the process of buying it but then I decided to post a question here. Anyways, one of the local retailers is selling a licensed copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for cheap so i guess that's what I'm going to go for. Thanks for your help!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

19 Dec 2013   #4
Bongo

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Pro x64 / Win 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KillerGamer View Post
I was in the process of buying it but then I decided to post a question here. Anyways, one of the local retailers is selling a licensed copy of Windows 7 Ultimate for cheap so i guess that's what I'm going to go for. Thanks for your help!
I would question just how legitimate that copy will be, there is no cheap version of Windows 7 ultimate.

Jerry
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2013   #5
scottls59901

Windows 7 Pro (32)
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by KillerGamer View Post
I have been hearing a lot about Windows 8 being bad for gaming (compared to Windows 7) and hence, I decided to go for a copy of Windows 7. However, before I purchase it, I wanted to know that is Windows 7 Ultimate better or Windows 7 Professional? My main purpose will be gaming and using MS Office 2007 for school projects and stuff. Thanks in advance!
I prefer Win7 Pro (32-bit), as all my old XP programs (Photoshop...) installed normally without any problem.

I had to install Win7 Pro 64-bit on my Vaio laptop (came with Win8), as No 32-bit drivers were available (Photoshop... wouldn't install normally) .

BTW- I got Win7 Pro "OEM" cheap on Amazon- Says for system builders, but you don't have to register it.
Fully functional, but No MS phone support (Seven Forums is Better!).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2013   #6
ProstarComputer

Windows 7 UnProfessional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by scottls59901 View Post
BTW- I got Win7 Pro "OEM" cheap on Amazon- Says for system builders, but you don't have to register it.
Fully functional, but No MS phone support (Seven Forums is Better!).
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
I would question just how legitimate that copy will be, there is no cheap version of Windows 7 ultimate.

Jerry
Hopefully it's not a SDK version. Those product keys/licenses are legitimate but limited.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Dec 2013   #7
gregrocker

 

With more than 4gb RAM you should install 64 bit or you'll not be able to use all of your RAM. I install 32 bit on 4gb or less installs for better performance.

You should judge what version you buy by the features you need, otherwise its the exact same OS across all versions. Only a few extra expensive features get unlocked in the higher versions. If you don't need those specific features then you're wasting your money. Plus there are better features like TeamViewer available in many cases. So Home Premium is all most consumers need.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2013   #8
scottls59901

Windows 7 Pro (32)
 
 

Quote:
Jerry

Hopefully it's not a SDK version. Those product keys/licenses are legitimate but limited.
No this is Not an SDK version, and fully functional- SDK is for Win Developers...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2013   #9
Skits559

Windows 8.1 Pro 64bit
 
 

Windows xp is perfect for gaming
My System SpecsSystem Spec
20 Dec 2013   #10
z3r010

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Skits559 View Post
Windows xp is perfect for gaming
If you are living in 2002
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 Ultimate or Windows 7 Professional?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows 7 Professional installed but I got ultimate Key
Hey guys, I installed windows 7 professional because I couldn't get the Ultimate version on a DVD for some unknown reason. But now I can't use my key to verify it. I tried windows anytime upgrade, but it does not work. I got the following error: "Enter a different upgrade key: The upgrade key...
Installation & Setup
diffence between windows 7 ultimate & professional
dear sir what is the diffrent between windows 7 ultimet & profetional and which is the best of optreting systems
General Discussion
Installed Windows 7 Ultimate x64 instead of Professional x64
Hi! I bought a a serial key of Windows 7 Professional x64, but I accidentally have installed Ultimate x64. And I spent 2 weeks setting up my computer, installing soft-wares, games and other stuff. And now I figured out that the key of Professional x64 wont work on Ultimate. Is there any way to...
Installation & Setup
upgrade my windows 7 starter to windows 7 ultimate/professional/home
is it possible? will my license key be the same? or my future OS will be fake or pirated? i bought a new netbook with windows 7 starter OS. but im not satisfied with this OS. thanks for the help!
Windows Updates & Activation
Upgrade Windows 7 Professional to Ultimate
Hi, I have Windows 7 Professional (64Bit) installed and attempted to upgrade to Windows 7 Ultimate (64Bit). My DVD has 32Bit and 64Bit. Clicking on 64Bit and going forward, I receivee a message saying that I can't upgrade to 32Bit from 64Bit and the installation (upgrade) stops. As stated, I...
Installation & Setup
From Windows 7 Ultimate to Professional - Possible?
Hey folks, Thank you for contributing to this great forum. For the past 30 days I have been using a trial/unactivated version of Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit and I've decided to purchase the Professional 64bit version. Can I install Windows 7 Professional over Ultimate or switch editions without...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:39.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App