Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need some help PC is freezing ALOT

28 Dec 2013   #11
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

A cap file is a BIOS update, I'm not sure about the AMD motherboards, but the Intel ones, extract them to a USB drive. Go into bios and in the tools section use the bios updater and follow the directions. However, I would try not to update bios if the computer is unstable. If you BSOD during a bios update or lose power, it can ruin the motherboard.

The drivers we are refering to are the other ones. The most important being the chipset drivers, also the sata and USB 3.0 drivers, if you have usb 3.0. There is a long list of drivers there. You will most likely need the lan drivers to enable the network adapter to get online. Just lok at them and use only the drivers you will use. If there is a wireless driver there and you won't be using wireless, don't download it, for example. All the hardware drivers need to be installed though. But, again, the chipset are the most important and should be installed first as soon as the OS installation is completed.

Also, update your graphics driver from the AMD web site. Be sure to uninstall the older drivers before you install new ones though.

Also, do you have Service Pack 1 installed? Have you completely downloaded all of the Windows updates?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Dec 2013   #12
PHILLIES SMOKE

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
A cap file is a BIOS update, I'm not sure about the AMD motherboards, but the Intel ones, extract them to a USB drive. Go into bios and in the tools section use the bios updater and follow the directions. However, I would try not to update bios if the computer is unstable. If you BSOD during a bios update or lose power, it can ruin the motherboard.

The drivers we are refering to are the other ones. The most important being the chipset drivers, also the sata and USB 3.0 drivers, if you have usb 3.0. There is a long list of drivers there. You will most likely need the lan drivers to enable the network adapter to get online. Just lok at them and use only the drivers you will use. If there is a wireless driver there and you won't be using wireless, don't download it, for example. All the hardware drivers need to be installed though. But, again, the chipset are the most important and should be installed first as soon as the OS installation is completed.

Also, update your graphics driver from the AMD web site. Be sure to uninstall the older drivers before you install new ones though.

Also, do you have Service Pack 1 installed? Have you completely downloaded all of the Windows updates?

Yeah I have Service Pack 1 and all the windows updates where do i find the chipset drivers?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Dec 2013   #13
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Motherboards - SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 - Google is your friend. They're on your motherboard's web site.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Dec 2013   #14
Golden
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ult. x64
 
 

You might also find this useful for determining if drivers are outdated:

Drivers - Find and Update Outdated Drivers
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2013   #15
PHILLIES SMOKE

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

All of the drivers seem to be up to date what is weird is that it doesn't really freeze until put under stress like gaming or just running prime95 for 5-10 minutes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2013   #16
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

OK, if you are overclocking anything stop and set everything to defaults. When you put stress on the system, if there is any hardware weakness or malfunctioning hardware, it will show up. The trick, and what's so time consuming is determining what piece that is. What errors are you getting in Prime95? There should be a text message in the prime95 folder. Go to BIOS and tell me what your +12V, +5V and +3.3V readings are. What CPU temps are you getting in Prime? You have to keep a close whatch on temps while running the test. Temps can get out of hand very quickly and cause the computer to shut down. Also, do a video card stress test with Furmark. Video Card - Stress Test with Furmark But, the same goes with Furmark, watch your graphics card temps very closely and stop the test if they get too high.

EDIT: If you don't already have it download and install CPUz from the top right hand corner of the page V 1.67. Please use the snipping tool and post screenshots (Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums) of the CPU, Mainboard, Memory and SPD tabs.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2013   #17
PHILLIES SMOKE

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
OK, if you are overclocking anything stop and set everything to defaults. When you put stress on the system, if there is any hardware weakness or malfunctioning hardware, it will show up. The trick, and what's so time consuming is determining what piece that is. What errors are you getting in Prime95? There should be a text message in the prime95 folder. Go to BIOS and tell me what your +12V, +5V and +3.3V readings are. What CPU temps are you getting in Prime? You have to keep a close whatch on temps while running the test. Temps can get out of hand very quickly and cause the computer to shut down. Also, do a video card stress test with Furmark. Video Card - Stress Test with Furmark But, the same goes with Furmark, watch your graphics card temps very closely and stop the test if they get too high.

EDIT: If you don't already have it download and install CPUz from the top right hand corner of the page V 1.67. Please use the snipping tool and post screenshots (Screenshots and Files - Upload and Post in Seven Forums) of the CPU, Mainboard, Memory and SPD tabs.
No overclocking at all would never risk it with the equipment i have video card does awesome with furmark temps are under controll when freezing happens. I'm not sure how to check for errors in prime95.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2013   #18
essenbe

Windows 7 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Enterprise X64/Windows 10 Pro X64/Linux Mint
 
 

Phillies Smoke, excuse me if I ask something we have already tried or discussed. But, what Brand, make and size of PSU do you have? Could you get me the PSU readings from bios as well as the CPUz screenshots please. have you run memtest86+ and did you download it from this site Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool. And how many passes?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Dec 2013   #19
PHILLIES SMOKE

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by essenbe View Post
Phillies Smoke, excuse me if I ask something we have already tried or discussed. But, what Brand, make and size of PSU do you have? Could you get me the PSU readings from bios as well as the CPUz screenshots please. have you run memtest86+ and did you download it from this site Memtest86+ - Advanced Memory Diagnostic Tool. And how many passes?
AZZA Dynamo 850 850W ATX & EPS 12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply - Newegg.com


Attached Thumbnails
Need some help PC is freezing ALOT-temps.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need some help PC is freezing ALOT




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
SVHost Using alot of ram (5gb)
Hey guy's for some odd reason my computer has been idling so loudly like im installing some performance draining program i closed all my program's and went to the desktop and for some reason my sv host's are going nut's using so much ram for no reason (i have no game's runing) everything was...
Performance & Maintenance
Not alot of free ram?
Total 3324 Cached 2575 Free 37 Can someone help me i don't have alot of processes open and i have Windows vista and my cpu usage is 100% i have been researching on how to fix the 100% for hours even days but nothin i guess my pc is just a piece of crap my specs are intel core 2 duo cpu...
Performance & Maintenance
Windows 7 is freezing alot Need Help ASAP please!
Hi i own a business and i upgraded my hp with AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor 5000+ • 2.60 GHz, 512KB+512KB L2 Cache, 2000 MT/s System Bus Chipset NVIDIA nForce 430 Chipset Standard memory 2048MB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM Now since i upgraded from vista after a week or so it frezzes at...
BSOD Help and Support
pc freezing alot
hi guys a few days when i was playing a game called aion i noticed the game froze for a few seconds i thought maybe it was due to the server or something thne i found when that pause happen the music am playing in windows media player also stops and later the whole pc just freezes in any game...
BSOD Help and Support
Win 7 crashes alot
hey guys, im very new to this forum, and ill admit im more of a meat head than a pc geek, haha so it may be hard for me to do this...anyways i have a decent pc, put together for me like 2 years ago by a friend, to be ready to run the game Crysis, and Call Of Duty and at the time it was fantastic to...
BSOD Help and Support
Alot more RAM to GPU
I have an onboard ATI Radeon Mobility HD 3100.. Windows says it has 1918 MB Total Avalible Graphics Memory 256 MB Dedicated Video Memory 0 MB Shared Video Memory 1662 MB Shared System Memory
Graphic Cards


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:14.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App