Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Very Very weird HDD vibrations in Define R4

12 Jan 2014   #11
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Take the HDD out as a test and see if the sound remains. you can put it next to your ear as well. A HDD should have a steady hum with a little read/write head sound.
Yes i took my second drive out, the sound stopped, i put both of my drives in the removable harddrive cage with a piece of rolled up paper between the drives, i also put the 140MM fan next to the drives s they are nice and cool, now i bearly hear the computer, though i think i know why my old drive is making this weird noise, its automaticly spinning down when its not used and its maybe not working the way it should so it spins up, then spins down, after ideling for about an hour the drive shuts down and when transfering data from it then it starts at 12MB/s and climbes up rapidly and the noise also climbes rapidly, I still have the weird noise left though but its bearly hearable, i hear the computer then the "sound" fades of and i no longer hear the computer at al
The drive could have a bearing problem and might be starting to go. At the very least, you might want to archive that drive's data somewhere in case it fails.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
12 Jan 2014   #12
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

I too suspect the "noisy" drive is on its last legs and could ail at any time.
Check in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings, Change advanced Power Settings under Hard Disk. Make sure it is set to Never power down.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2014   #13
sisrace

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Take the HDD out as a test and see if the sound remains. you can put it next to your ear as well. A HDD should have a steady hum with a little read/write head sound.
Yes i took my second drive out, the sound stopped, i put both of my drives in the removable harddrive cage with a piece of rolled up paper between the drives, i also put the 140MM fan next to the drives s they are nice and cool, now i bearly hear the computer, though i think i know why my old drive is making this weird noise, its automaticly spinning down when its not used and its maybe not working the way it should so it spins up, then spins down, after ideling for about an hour the drive shuts down and when transfering data from it then it starts at 12MB/s and climbes up rapidly and the noise also climbes rapidly, I still have the weird noise left though but its bearly hearable, i hear the computer then the "sound" fades of and i no longer hear the computer at al
The drive could have a bearing problem and might be starting to go. At the very least, you might want to archive that drive's data somewhere in case it fails.
Data recovery is no problem its only a recording drive to the files only stays for like 2 days, so i write, read, and delete very often so its nothing that im affraid of loosing, And well.. the harddrive is about 4 years old but i dont whant it to fail, i need that drive
But if it fails in the future i will get a 500gb sshd or just a regular hdd with around 500gb . depends on the prizes, if they are godd i might get a 1tb drive, but if the drive can whitstand another year i would be very happy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Jan 2014   #14
sisrace

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
I too suspect the "noisy" drive is on its last legs and could ail at any time.
Check in Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Power Options\Edit Plan Settings, Change advanced Power Settings under Hard Disk. Make sure it is set to Never power down.
i dont want it to never power down i rearly use the drive exept from when im recording otherwise i whant it to shut down becouse then my computer becomes completely silent, i only use the drive while recording and rendering/editing footage
My System SpecsSystem Spec
12 Jan 2014   #15
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Ok, I see, you must be one of those who is very easily annoyed by even the smallest sound? My machines would drive you nuts then, I don't mind the quiet hum of 6-8 fans or a HDD thumping along in their work.

You can still try the Never power down to confirm it is that drive? I'm OCD about having things happen quickly and not waiting for a drive to spin up.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #16
sisrace

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Ok, I see, you must be one of those who is very easily annoyed by even the smallest sound? My machines would drive you nuts then, I don't mind the quiet hum of 6-8 fans or a HDD thumping along in their work.

You can still try the Never power down to confirm it is that drive? I'm OCD about having things happen quickly and not waiting for a drive to spin up.
Well. i can live with a computer with a constant noise, but its when the computer gives random noises that isnt constant that it drives me insane, but now i have a silent computer with an harddrive that gives out random annoying noises all the time
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #17
badger906

Windows 7 Ultimate x64, & Mac OS X 10.9.2
 
 

my nzxt phantom case has 9 fans currently installed with them all set high on the speed controller ^_^ nothing a pair of noise cancelling headphones cant fix lol. it also acts like a radiator under my desk blowing out a nice stream of warm air lol
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #18
Britton30
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Sisrace I would recommend you replace the drive soon as possible. The prices here in the US at least, have dropped back to normal.
The type which will power off on its own may be helpful for your application.
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives, All Desktop Hard Drives, IntelliPower
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Jan 2014   #19
sisrace

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Britton30 View Post
Sisrace I would recommend you replace the drive soon as possible. The prices here in the US at least, have dropped back to normal.
The type which will power off on its own may be helpful for your application.
Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Hard Drives, Internal Hard Drives, All Desktop Hard Drives, IntelliPower
Well, im thinking of another sshd on like 1tb or 500gb becouse i love the speed of thoose things and they are amazing for regording, but it also would be very helpful with like a green drive that spins down... so i can have my computer silent becouse sure i have some crazy noise cancelling headphones but i only use them while recording becouse its a lot more comfy with just using the speakers..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Sep 2015   #20
Arnodude

Windows 7
 
 

I know this thread is old but i have had this Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB hard for i believe 5-6 years and since day one it had this strong fading vibration noise. Just like you explained in your first post it slowly fades in, lasts 3-4 seconds, and slowly fades out again, 1-2 secs later and it fades in again.
I've used computer cases which totally couldn't handle these vibration and maked the noise 10x worse.
I've learned to live with the noise but just now i wanted to see if this is actual normal behavior for a hard drive and what the cause of this weird fading is but this is seemingly the only thing i could find in google about this "issue". Furthermore besides these weird vibrations over the course of using this hard drive for 5-6 years daily i've never had any other problem with this drive.

Btw just noticed you also were talking about a 500GB hard drive, also a Western Digital by any chance?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Very Very weird HDD vibrations in Define R4




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Define names in workbook scope
Hello guys, I use MS Excel 2010. In this app, I know that using Formulas > Define names > define name it is possible to name a cell (or range). At that dialog box there is a scope rectangle which if I choose the entire sheets scope (workbook) so it's said that this name is valid for the entire...
Microsoft Office
Fractal Design Define R4 Window
Hey all i have the Fractal Design Define R4 Black Pearl Non windowed version was wondering if you can buy the window separately or do i have to re purchase the entire case to get the window Thanks.
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
Define a gaming rig
I'm curious as to what people think a low/mid/high end gaming rig consists of these days. X79 based? 1155 acceptable? CPU? GPU/S? Monitor/s? Old tech automatic demotion? So what do you guys think makes a gaming PC? For example - Not bragging - what would you say my sig rig is? MID...
Gaming
Question about Define r4 case
Hey all i just upgraded my old case from 2005 to a define r4 i am very impressed so far its so much quieter i got a new video card and power supply to really make it quieter also but my main question is do any of you guys have the define r4 and use these Noctua NF-A14 with the included fan...
PC Custom Builds and Overclocking
how to define permisions for limit user?
Dear Sir, I wan to define permissions for my computer limit user. where that setting for customization/changing??
System Security
Netbook or laptop...how do you define the difference?
Since it is said there's no such thing as a stupid question, here's a question.....where do you draw the line between laptop and netbook? Is it screen size, is it whether or not it has a CD/DVD drive? I had always associated the term with the 10.1" screen portables, until I bought one with a...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App