Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Indexing and Searching broken

22 Jan 2014   #11
grandpavic

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Aha!

Do the modify one more time and remove the check next to Program Files.

You really don't want the entire contents of C:\ or Program Files indexed.
The idea behind indexing is make it easy to search on attributes or contents of a file.
You want to easily search your data files and some other locations. Indexing Windows and the Programs folders really slow down search (when it's working) and doesn't add much value.

After unticking Progam Files (you might have to expand C:\ to untick Program Files), you should rebuild the index again
and have only the following index locations
Internet Explorer History
Start Menu
Users (whatever is in the exluded column is fine)

try a search and let me know.

edit: posted a picture that might be needed in the next step - removed it to avoid confusion.

Does this provide any useful info?




Attached Thumbnails
Indexing and Searching broken-info.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
22 Jan 2014   #12
grandpavic

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Aha!

Do the modify one more time and remove the check next to Program Files.

You really don't want the entire contents of C:\ or Program Files indexed.
The idea behind indexing is make it easy to search on attributes or contents of a file.
You want to easily search your data files and some other locations. Indexing Windows and the Programs folders really slow down search (when it's working) and doesn't add much value.

After unticking Progam Files (you might have to expand C:\ to untick Program Files), you should rebuild the index again
and have only the following index locations
Internet Explorer History
Start Menu
Users (whatever is in the exluded column is fine)

try a search and let me know.

edit: posted a picture that might be needed in the next step - removed it to avoid confusion.

Tried again -- same result -- searches still not working

When I do the reindexing the process appears to be happening. If look at the performance monitor, something is going on.


Attached Images
Indexing and Searching broken-last.jpg 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #13
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

I'm a bit embarrased to say that I didn't see the Index complete msg at the top and the pause button not greyed out. That's not right!

This is going a little deeper, how well do you know you're way around the comptuter?

If I said "open services and scroll down to Windows search and tell me the status" is that enough or do you need help getting to services and a descrip[tion of services. You seem fairly sharp, I just never know the experience of people on the other side.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

22 Jan 2014   #14
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Let's keep trying

If you need something explained, just ask and I'll go into greater detail.

In a Windows Explorer, are the standard Libraries shown in the left hand navigation pane?
do you use Libraries?


After each step, report back on what you see
test search in on the Start menu and the Explorer search bar
- stop when search works

1) Restart your machine, then
Look at Indexing Options
Is it still 0 - indexing complete?
Is the pause button still active?

2) Try setting "Search other files and libraries" in Customize Start menu to "Search without public libraries"
If it already was, please tell me that too.

Indexing and Searching broken-xxx.png

3) See this tutorial to reset search to defaults - use Option One
Search Options - Change or Restore

I'm searching the forum to hopefully find a post that exists and that already describes the steps to stop and start search related services.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #15
grandpavic

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
I'm a bit embarrased to say that I didn't see the Index complete msg at the top and the pause button not greyed out. That's not right!

This is going a little deeper, how well do you know you're way around the comptuter?

If I said "open services and scroll down to Windows search and tell me the status" is that enough or do you need help getting to services and a descrip[tion of services. You seem fairly sharp, I just never know the experience of people on the other side.
Windows Search is started and the startup is set to automatic
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #16
grandpavic

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Let's keep trying

If you need something explained, just ask and I'll go into greater detail.
Quote:
In a Windows Explorer, are the standard Libraries shown in the left hand navigation pane?
do you use Libraries?
Yes and Yes

After each step, report back on what you see
test search in on the Start menu and the Explorer search bar
- stop when search works

Quote:
1) Restart your machine, then
Look at Indexing Options
Is it still 0 - indexing complete?
Is the pause button still active?
Still 0 - Indexing complete
The Pause button is greyed out



Quote:

2) Try setting "Search other files and libraries" in Customize Start menu to "Search without public libraries"
If it already was, please tell me that too.

Attachment 302816
It already was -- I changed it to this in the last day or so



Quote:


3) See this tutorial to reset search to defaults - use Option One
Search Options - Change or Restore
I've tried the first part of this tutorial -- Folders -> Search and restored the defaults

When I become more brave, I will do the registry part of the tutorial


I'm searching the forum to hopefully find a post that exists and that already describes the steps to stop and start search related services.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
22 Jan 2014   #17
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

You did all you have to do in the tutorial, I think.

Many of the tutorials contain alternate ways of accomplishing the same thing (delineated by Option or Method), they also might contain a reverse set of instructions.

As long as you followed Option One "(A) Click/tap on the Restore Defaults button, and click/tap on OK" (if you changed search options, let me know - you can post a screen shot any time) then we're still looking for the answer.

Let's try something I should have offered earlier - the troubleshooter.

Open Control Panel -> Indexing Options
at the bottom of the window, click trouble shooter
You might have to run this once or twice
tick "Files don't appear in results"
then OK or next
Let the troubleshooter run through
if it reports any fixes, hit the more information link (if it gives you that option)
post screen shot

close out the troubleshooter and try a search

there's one more area I think might cause this or contribute to this
Libraries

Have you added many folders to the libraies?
Are any unused?
I'm think about deleting or restoring default libriaries (which might delete what you have already built-I'm not sure)

If you're OK with deleting and restoring default libraries, then great.
Delete and restore is the cleanest way to get a fresh set. Restore defaults only might not get you all the way there.

Think about it.

If not, I'll have to do more research on restore default libraries.
-
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2014   #18
grandpavic

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote:
Let's try something I should have offered earlier - the troubleshooter.

Open Control Panel -> Indexing Options
at the bottom of the window, click trouble shooter
You might have to run this once or twice
tick "Files don't appear in results"
then OK or next
Let the troubleshooter run through
if it reports any fixes, hit the more information link (if it gives you that option)
post screen shot
The troubleshooter didn't find any problems. However, I found the following interesting:

The processor is an Intel Core Duo T6400 and Not and amd64
What does Windows 6.1 mean?


Attached Thumbnails
Indexing and Searching broken-interesting.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2014   #19
grandpavic

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
You did all you have to do in the tutorial, I think.

there's one more area I think might cause this or contribute to this
Libraries

Have you added many folders to the libraies?
Are any unused?
I'm think about deleting or restoring default libriaries (which might delete what you have already built-I'm not sure)

If you're OK with deleting and restoring default libraries, then great.
Delete and restore is the cleanest way to get a fresh set. Restore defaults only might not get you all the way there.

Think about it.

If not, I'll have to do more research on restore default libraries.
-
I have a lot of folders in My Documents. I don't want to play around with those.

However, I think that the problem is fundamental. If I create a new user account, I have all of the same problems with indexing and searching.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Jan 2014   #20
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Understood about documents, but just so I'm clear

Please post a screen shot of the Documents Library properties
Right click Documents under Libraries (not the My Documents folder)
and select properties


Attached Images
Indexing and Searching broken-libdocs.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Indexing and Searching broken




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How can I fix Indexing freeze and make Indexing run faster.
I am trying to index an external hard drive. It has take a day so far and it hasn't moved past a certain point for a few hours 1,787,175. How can I fix this. How can I found out which file is causing the indexing program to freeze. Once I get it fixed how can I make indexing run faster. It takes...
General Discussion
indexing and searching hundreds of PDFs
I am looking for a program that can index search huge amounts of PDF files. It also should have advanced search capabilities (phrases, list of words, dates etc) and it should have result previews. Any ideas? The one I came across is copernic desktop. But I didn't find the advanced...
Software
Searching for broken Creative E-MU 1820m SoundInterfaces
Hi folks, i have a sound interface from Creative E-MU 1820m, but it makes no sound. I searching for other broken E-MU 1820m sound interface to find a configuration that correctly works. If You have a broken E-MU 1820m please send me a message Thanks to all, `/:-)>
Sound & Audio
indexing?
how do u look up which files are indexed?
General Discussion
Indexing and searching external drives
Is there a way that I can search and index external drives and USB flash drives from the Start button search?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:13.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App