Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Does DOCK's (such as Rocket Dock,Object Dock etc) makes computer slow?

25 Jan 2014   #1
fahadhum

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Does DOCK's (such as Rocket Dock,Object Dock etc) makes computer slow?

My Windows 7 Operating system is taking a lot of time during Start up.I was looking for an alternative to the regular icons ,scattered all over my desktop.So,i decided to try Docks such as Rocket Dock,Object Dock,Nexus,Rk Launcher or similar dock....It certainly looks beautiful but now i am skeptical if these are causing my system to load very slowly during Windows Start up..

Also,now i am using a Windows Task bar Software which lets me pin any program shortcut on my task bar. So,my task bar is filled up with many icons.Is that the cause of a slow start up or the Docks...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Jan 2014   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fahadhum View Post
My Windows 7 Operating system is taking a lot of time during Start up.I was looking for an alternative to the regular icons ,scattered all over my desktop.So,i decided to try Docks such as Rocket Dock,Object Dock,Nexus,Rk Launcher or similar dock....It certainly looks beautiful but now i am skeptical if these are causing my system to load very slowly during Windows Start up..

Also,now i am using a Windows Task bar Software which lets me pin any program shortcut on my task bar. So,my task bar is filled up with many icons.Is that the cause of a slow start up or the Docks...
You can use MSconfig to diagnose startup issues. Visit the following link for details;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iku_aPUsVQ4

You can post back with any questions regarding your system services and startup entries to establish their purpose and whether or not they are required at startup.

Taskbar icons are just shortcuts and do not effect the time it takes for starting a computer.

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Jan 2014   #3
fahadhum

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Thanks .I will look in to it.I usually edit MS CONFIG while playing games on my Laptop to achieve smooth game play. But i didn't tried anything regarding this DOCKS or Task bar Icons issue...I will check and reply ...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Jan 2014   #4
newblueboy

Windows 7 Home Premium x64
 
 

Another option might be by following the following guide: How to Increase Performance of Computer : Visual Settings

And do some standard maintenance too. Run CCleaner, Registry Cleaner, Uninstall Unneeded Programs, Virus Scan, and a Defragmentation Program (Defraggler).
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Jan 2014   #5
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

I have Rocket Dock. It's great - would not live without it. I don't think it slows anything down. It has to be loaded at boot, but that is only a few milliseconds. I set it to the left side and hidden (not the top). I find that to be more practical.


Attached Images
Does DOCK's (such as Rocket Dock,Object Dock etc) makes computer slow?-2014-01-26_2311.png 
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jan 2014   #6
madcratebuilder

Win8/8.1,Win7-U64, Vista U64, uncounted Linux distor's
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by fahadhum View Post
My Windows 7 Operating system is taking a lot of time during Start up.I was looking for an alternative to the regular icons ,scattered all over my desktop.So,i decided to try Docks such as Rocket Dock,Object Dock,Nexus,Rk Launcher or similar dock....It certainly looks beautiful but now i am skeptical if these are causing my system to load very slowly during Windows Start up..

Also,now i am using a Windows Task bar Software which lets me pin any program shortcut on my task bar. So,my task bar is filled up with many icons.Is that the cause of a slow start up or the Docks...

Dock programs should not add more than a second or two to the load process. Use MSconfig to control what programs start with Windows.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jan 2014   #7
Barman58

Windows 10 Pro x64 x2 Windows 10 Enterprise x64, Ubuntu
 
 

Any program you add to the start-up of a system will have some effect on loading time, how much depends on the complexity and efficiency of the programs concerned.

Whether the additional time to load is a problem, depends on how often you restart your system, A two second delay on startup, is less of an issue to someone that restarts once a year than someone that restarts 30 times a day.

What is more of an issue is the overhead of running an application especially those that you did not choose to run,

Check with the process tab on the Task manager to see what is actually going on, what's running ,and what resources they are using.

MSconfig is an option as stated but I prefer to use Autoruns (From Microsoft), to see what's really going on.

Autoruns is a very powerful application and must be used with care, as it has the capability of doing serious system damage if you remove the wrong thing (the same applies to MSConfig, but to a lesser extent), with autoruns you can uncheck an application you are interested in not running, use the system for a few days and if any issues occur you can simply re-check or if things are ok the item may be removed completely
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jan 2014   #8
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Any program you add to the start-up of a system will have some effect on loading time, how much depends on the complexity and efficiency of the programs concerned.

Whether the additional time to load is a problem, depends on how often you restart your system, A two second delay on startup, is less of an issue to someone that restarts once a year than someone that restarts 30 times a day.

What is more of an issue is the overhead of running an application especially those that you did not choose to run,

Check with the process tab on the Task manager to see what is actually going on, what's running ,and what resources they are using.

MSconfig is an option as stated but I prefer to use Autoruns (From Microsoft), to see what's really going on.

Autoruns is a very powerful application and must be used with care, as it has the capability of doing serious system damage if you remove the wrong thing (the same applies to MSConfig, but to a lesser extent), with autoruns you can uncheck an application you are interested in not running, use the system for a few days and if any issues occur you can simply re-check or if things are ok the item may be removed completely
As a long time user of Autoruns, starting back when Mark was running Sysinternals, I second the endorsement of its usage. Just for clarification, which I am sure you already know but for new users, the removal of an entry does not remove the program from the system, it simply clears it from the listed items.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #9
fahadhum

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
I have Rocket Dock. It's great - would not live without it. I don't think it slows anything down. It has to be loaded at boot, but that is only a few milliseconds. I set it to the left side and hidden (not the top). I find that to be more practical.

Hmm I was so impressed by the Rocket Dock animation when i hover my mouse on the dock. In fact,rocket dock was my very 1st Dock experience..But after a few days,i started seeing weird issues on my dock like,some icons were disheartening. Some icons were changing and some other issues.May be it is not compatible with my Windows 7 Operating System i.e 64 bit..I have tried Rocket dock 2 or three times and i had no luck..So,now i use object Dock which works fine on my system.No,issues and is very much similar to Rocket dock...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Jan 2014   #10
fahadhum

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Barman58 View Post
Any program you add to the start-up of a system will have some effect on loading time, how much depends on the complexity and efficiency of the programs concerned.

Whether the additional time to load is a problem, depends on how often you restart your system, A two second delay on startup, is less of an issue to someone that restarts once a year than someone that restarts 30 times a day.

What is more of an issue is the overhead of running an application especially those that you did not choose to run,

Check with the process tab on the Task manager to see what is actually going on, what's running ,and what resources they are using.

MSconfig is an option as stated but I prefer to use Autoruns (From Microsoft), to see what's really going on.

Autoruns is a very powerful application and must be used with care, as it has the capability of doing serious system damage if you remove the wrong thing (the same applies to MSConfig, but to a lesser extent), with autoruns you can uncheck an application you are interested in not running, use the system for a few days and if any issues occur you can simply re-check or if things are ok the item may be removed completely
I usually use msconfig while playing some games that require certain programs to be closed in the start up.Also,i use ms config to prevent some programs to load as they makes the start up slow.However,now i am not sure which program is causing the slow start up.My hard disk space is also ALMOST FULL..May be that's a factor too.Anyhow,i shall have a clear look on msconfig and so some trial and error in enabling & disabling some programs to get a possible fix..
Thank you by the way..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Does DOCK's (such as Rocket Dock,Object Dock etc) makes computer slow?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
rocket dock query
hi I have started using rocket dock today, I have set up animated icons but after restart they just disappear from dock and on blank shortcut called 'NEW SHORTCUT' comes up on its place, if i click it, it opens microsoft outlook. that happens with all animated icons i create on rocket dock. any...
Software
Rocket Dock Error
Hey guys, I recently went to open a folder from rocket dock and I got this message from Stacks Docklet: The Operating System Denied Access To The Specified File. So I tried opening it without the stacks docklet and the "Open With" program pops up... :shock: .exe files open fine like firefox and...
Software
Rocket dock issue
Hello i dont know if this in the right section or not but if its not can a mod move it please. heres my question i installed rocketdock yesterday and switched the icons and it worked but everytime i restart my computer it takes a long time to start up after i log in and the new icons i replaced...
Software
Rocket Dock
I installed Rocket Dock in an effort to avoid some UAC prompts. I liked it and was succesful in avoiding UAC prompts. But I could not get it to start on a system boot. I unistalled it. I will probably take another shot at it. So I was going to ask if any one else had a similar problem. There...
Software
Help me for rocket dock ?
when i open my computer then also rocket dock is open ..... i want rocket dock should open only on desktop....... HELP ME HOW TO Do THAt!!!!:(
Software
Rocket Dock Question
I recently started using RocketDock again But I forget where to get Hi-Res Icons for it. Most normal icons look horribly distorted. Thanks for the help in advance Other than the RocketDock website please.
Software


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:45.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App