Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Computer locks up during certain games, event viewer included

29 Jan 2014   #31
gregrocker

 

It's up to you to use Easeus if it offers non-destructive Dynamic conversion. I stick with PW which has never had a failure from its boot disk in thousands of operations we've helped with here. All others can fail except Disk Mgmt.

Always unplug all other HD's/SSD's during any Reinstall or REpair.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
29 Jan 2014   #32
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
It's up to you to use Easeus if it offers non-destructive Dynamic conversion. I stick with PW which has never had a failure from its boot disk in thousands of operations we've helped with here. All others can fail except Disk Mgmt.

Always unplug all other HD's/SSD's during any Reinstall or REpair.
Yup after converting this disk back to basic, i will be unplugging the drives and installing windows 7 on the SSD, im just trying to organise what i want backed up on my old OS HDD, if im honest its been nearly 3 or 4 years since my last reformat, this probably occurred at a good time if its not a hard ware error

Anyways if im gonna start the SSD as the first drive in bios, what will happen to my current OS drive? will it come up as another letter and let me copy things from there (like since the SSD would be the new c:\ cos it was the option to be booted would the previous partition become something like F:\?)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2014   #33
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Uh after selecting dynamic to basic and applying changes, i restarted my computer but now its just a black screen with a single hyphen (-) blinking on and off, is this supposed to happen?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jan 2014   #34
gregrocker

 

Check in BIOS setup that Disk2 is still set first HD to boot.

Are you sure you converted the correct disk? Was it highlighted first before selecting Convert to Basic from Partition Wizard version 4.2 Disk tab? What other method did you use?

Boot into Partition Wizard and post back a camera snap of the full drive map showing detailed listings.

Unplug all other besides Win7 HD, confirm System Reserved is Partition Marked Active, then highlight the Win7 drive to run Partition Wizard Rebuild MBR. Apply steps, reboot to see if Win7 starts.

If not then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jan 2014   #35
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Check in BIOS setup that Disk2 is still set first HD to boot.

Are you sure you converted the correct disk? Was it highlighted first before selecting Convert to Basic from Partition Wizard version 4.2 Disk tab? What other method did you use?

Boot into Partition Wizard and post back a camera snap of the full drive map showing detailed listings.

Unplug all other besides Win7 HD, confirm System Reserved is Partition Marked Active, then highlight the Win7 drive to run Partition Wizard Rebuild MBR. Apply steps, reboot to see if Win7 starts.

If not then run Startup Repair - Run 3 Separate Times
Sure i did, anyways i unplugged all drives except OS, partition manager came up and said it changed and cannot continue, replugged in the drives and windows started just fine, however the disk is still dynamic, and im just going to keep it that way for now, i dont want another scare like that.

However i did use the windows exe one, should i use the one that boots up from disk instead?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #36
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Ok my SSD installed fine
Now i have a question, if i install steam on a drive that is currently the E:\ drive, but when i put in another HDD it becomes the F:\ drive will steam start giving me errors like it cant be located?

EDIT: Never mind i remembered i could assign letters to the drives which i just did, however im running into a new problem now.
The Drive that was dynamic contains all my downloads and program installs yet when i boot up windows from the SSD it doesnt show up. In disk management it comes up with one of those warning yellow signs saying its a dynamic disk and its foreign. Any ideas? Should i reload OS from other hard drive and convert to basic first?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #37
gregrocker

 

If you had all other drives unplugged besides OS when you ran non-destructive Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic, then it wouldn't have worked because the Dynamic Disk wasn't plugged in. It obviously must be plugged in to convert. Did you actually run something on the Win7 drive which is why it wouldn't start?

I would burn pw422.zip ISO - Windows Live. to CD using WIndows Image Burner, boot it to convert dynamic disk to basic disk with Partition Wizard which is what was to have been done first before unplugging the OS drive, which was suggested only to repair the OS you said wouldn't start.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jan 2014   #38
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If you had all other drives unplugged besides OS when you ran non-destructive Convert Dynamic Disk to Basic, then it wouldn't have worked because the Dynamic Disk wasn't plugged in. It obviously must be plugged in to convert. Did you actually run something on the Win7 drive which is why it wouldn't start?

I would burn pw422.zip ISO - Windows Live. to CD using WIndows Image Burner, boot it to convert dynamic disk to basic disk with Partition Wizard which is what was to have been done first before unplugging the OS drive, which was suggested only to repair the OS you said wouldn't start.
Used the Cd version, it converted just fine.
Apart from already using 40% of the SSD just installing drivers and updates. Everything seems fine, final tests will be done tomorrow to see if games continue to lock up
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2014   #39
MajorFoley

windows 7 Ultimate Service pack 1 x64
 
 

Installing the SSD did not help. The lockup had occurred again and I can only think of 2 things now that can be causing this. Either A the computer is overheating or B the motherboard/videocard might be beyond saving.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Feb 2014   #40
gregrocker

 

You can test for overheating from the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.

Once you clear that then you try another video card. You can also try stressing your video card with FurMark: VGA Stress Test to see if it withstands it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Computer locks up during certain games, event viewer included




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Error code 0xc000000d in event viewer. Causing computer to shut down?
Hello, Recently my computer has been shutting down without warning. I could be doing anything from playing far cry 4 to browsing the web. I looked into the event viewer and found the following error: 0xc000000d. I've looked into it but it sounds like everyone else who has that same issue can't...
BSOD Help and Support
Computer keeps restarting at random times. Event viewer report in post
My computer keeps restarting at ramdom time during the day. If I play a movie using vlc that restarts it every time. I tried running Linux to see if it was a windows problem and still happend. Tried running memtest and it goes into a infinite restart loop after 15 sec in memtest. I swapped out ram...
BSOD Help and Support
Computer randomly restarting, no useful information in event viewer
For the past few weeks my computer has been randomly restarting. It is more common when I'm playing a game. I originally thought that my processor was hitting the shut down temp I set in bios, but I started recording the temp and the time after that it shut down, that temp was never reached. The...
General Discussion
Event viewer log showing login times when computer is off
I have noticed that my event viewer log is showing successful logins when my computer is off. Is this normal? Does the system ever "log itself in" while its off?
Performance & Maintenance
Computer Hard Freezes with No BSOD or Event Viewer Logs
Howdy everyone. I've got a problem with my computer hard freezing (locking up, no input, have to perform a hard reboot) since July 15th. It seems impossible for me to diagnose this problem since I've never dealt with a recurring hard freeze before. My initial reaction was that the hardware was...
BSOD Help and Support
Computer locks up playing several games KERNEL ERROR in event log
Dell XPS 9100 with Windows 7 pro X64. Dell support is no help, they just keep saying it is a software issue because their boot diagnostic doesnt show any problems. It quite often makes me do a system restore before i can get back into windows after it happens. Event log says Critical type,...
BSOD Help and Support


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 13:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App