Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Svchost process slowly adds memory until programs start crashing

04 Mar 2014   #1
elstie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Svchost process slowly adds memory until programs start crashing

One of the svchost processes will slowly start to add memory to itself until it's eaten up enough to start crashing other applications.

If I restart the computer, it will start over, but then the problem starts again. It's seemingly random when it starts to eat up memory. It could take a day to accumulate or hours.

Process explorer is unable to show me which service within that svchost is the culprit. Not sure where to go from here.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Mar 2014   #2
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Welcome to the Seven Forums.

Have you setup Process Explorer to send file hashes to VirusTotal?

See this post: Process Explorer 16

You might also want to scan your computer with one or more offline scanners:
What is Windows Defender Offline?
Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2014   #3
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elstie View Post
One of the svchost processes will slowly start to add memory to itself until it's eaten up enough to start crashing other applications.

If I restart the computer, it will start over, but then the problem starts again. It's seemingly random when it starts to eat up memory. It could take a day to accumulate or hours.

Process explorer is unable to show me which service within that svchost is the culprit. Not sure where to go from here.
Try using "msconfig" to diagnose the problem.

How to use MSCONFIG in Windows 7: NetSquirrel.com

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Mar 2014   #4
elstie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Welcome to the Seven Forums.

Have you setup Process Explorer to send file hashes to VirusTotal?

See this post: Process Explorer 16

You might also want to scan your computer with one or more offline scanners:
What is Windows Defender Offline?
Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
VirusTotal wasn't showing anything as being malicious. When I scanned with Windows Defender offline it didn't come up with anything meaningful. I did the full scan overnight.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elstie View Post
One of the svchost processes will slowly start to add memory to itself until it's eaten up enough to start crashing other applications.

If I restart the computer, it will start over, but then the problem starts again. It's seemingly random when it starts to eat up memory. It could take a day to accumulate or hours.

Process explorer is unable to show me which service within that svchost is the culprit. Not sure where to go from here.
Try using "msconfig" to diagnose the problem.

How to use MSCONFIG in Windows 7: NetSquirrel.com

HTH
Do you mean to disable things in the Startup tab and see if everything goes ok in order to narrow down the culprit?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2014   #5
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elstie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Welcome to the Seven Forums.

Have you setup Process Explorer to send file hashes to VirusTotal?

See this post: Process Explorer 16

You might also want to scan your computer with one or more offline scanners:
What is Windows Defender Offline?
Download Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10
VirusTotal wasn't showing anything as being malicious. When I scanned with Windows Defender offline it didn't come up with anything meaningful. I did the full scan overnight.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elstie View Post
One of the svchost processes will slowly start to add memory to itself until it's eaten up enough to start crashing other applications.

If I restart the computer, it will start over, but then the problem starts again. It's seemingly random when it starts to eat up memory. It could take a day to accumulate or hours.

Process explorer is unable to show me which service within that svchost is the culprit. Not sure where to go from here.
Try using "msconfig" to diagnose the problem.

How to use MSCONFIG in Windows 7: NetSquirrel.com

HTH
Do you mean to disable things in the Startup tab and see if everything goes ok in order to narrow down the culprit?
Correct! See the following link for a better explanation of how to use Msconfig. The section for Vista works the same for Windows 7;

How To Troubleshoot Your Windows With The MSconfig Utility

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2014   #6
elstie

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Correct! See the following link for a better explanation of how to use Msconfig. The section for Vista works the same for Windows 7;

How To Troubleshoot Your Windows With The MSconfig Utility

HTH
Ok. So here's the thing. Once the svchost process that is the culprit rears its head, I'm able to right-click it in the task manager and go to services. All the services that encompass it are highlighted in the list. Does this already narrow down the field for me?

If so, just based on this list, these seem like very important services to keep open (while the article says to leave important services that you don't know anything about activated).

Once it starts acting up again, I can post a list of these services, if that's helpful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Mar 2014   #7
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by elstie View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post
Correct! See the following link for a better explanation of how to use Msconfig. The section for Vista works the same for Windows 7;

How To Troubleshoot Your Windows With The MSconfig Utility

HTH
Ok. So here's the thing. Once the svchost process that is the culprit rears its head, I'm able to right-click it in the task manager and go to services. All the services that encompass it are highlighted in the list. Does this already narrow down the field for me?

If so, just based on this list, these seem like very important services to keep open (while the article says to leave important services that you don't know anything about activated).

Once it starts acting up again, I can post a list of these services, if that's helpful.
The best place to start is Msconfig.

Read the article at the following link which will give you an idea of what svchost.exe does.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...is-it-running/

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Svchost process slowly adds memory until programs start crashing




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Is This Normal - RENTED VPS Server with 110MB SVCHOST.EXE Process?
I am searching for reasons why a VPS server 2008 R2 that I am renting for my own business websites is using so many memory resources. For instance, I have been looking into a SVCHOST.EXE Process which is using 110MB of the server memory. By typing in 'tasklist /svc' in a command window and...
Network & Sharing
Generating a memory dump for a crashing process
Summary: When faced with a crashing process or application, the following procedure is one way to obtain useful information regarding the specifics of the crash, and hence the likely cause: 1) Download and install either the 32-bit or the 64-bit "Debugging Tools" package, depending on your...
Crash and lockup debug 'How To'
How to stop svchost.exe process
Hi, this svchost runs out of nowhere, most of the time it runs when I stop using the computer for like an hour or it runs when Norton is running a background performance, but even if Norton finished its job, the svchost won't stop. It happens once in a while, but sometimes it happens very...
General Discussion
Programs Crashing When I Start Them
This problem started about a month ago with Windows Live Messenger. Since then i had no problems until last week when my game recording program WeGame began to crash when i start it up. Now today one of my favourite games Counter Strike : Source has started having the same problem. When...
BSOD Help and Support
A lot of svchost.exe running on process tab on Task Man
Hi! There are a lot of svchost.exe running on process tab on Task Manager and a high cpu + memory usage. What happened to my computer or is it normal to be so? A image view of it is also uploaded.
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App