Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Hardware RAID vs Software RAID

View Poll Results: Which type of RAID is your favorite?
Software RAID 1 2 28.57%
Hardware RAID 1 0 0%
Hardware RAID 0 3 42.86%
Hardware RAID 10 2 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

11 Mar 2014   #31
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Many people rush into RAID without understanding it's purpose, what it is, and what it is not. Only later do they find that performance isn't what they expected, or they loose data they thought was protected.

Each type of RAID has it's advantages and disadvantages.
RAID 0 is about performance. It works by increasing transfer rate which is useful when doing serial access of large files. But typical usage in Windows (or any modern OS) tends toward random access to relatively small blocks of data spread over multiple files. In this case the drive spends most of it's time moving the heads and platter position to the data in question and relatively little time with data transfer. RAID won't do much good for this situation. There are legitimate uses for RAID 0 but not many.

The purpose of RAID 1 and RAID 5 is to protect access to your data, but not the data itself. They are not the same thing.

RAID 1 and RAID 5 provide redundancy so that if one drive fails access to your data continues as if nothing happened. This is an enormous advantage in a busy server where downtime is very disruptive to business activities and a major cost. Drive replacement can be deferred to a more convenient time, and with hot swap can be done without downtime at all. The main problem with RAID 1 is that you need 2 drives to provide the storage capacity of 1 and the cost is often hard to justify for workstation use. RAID 5 provides better storage efficiency, but you need at least 3 drives.

But no form of RAID ever devised can protect your data. RAID (except RAID 0) will provide protection from drive failure only, and even that cannot be relied on. In the event of a serious malware infection, accidental or malicious file deletion, other hardware failures, etc., all data could be lost.

To protect your data you need backups. Files of any importance need at least one backup copy while those of particular importance need 2 or more backup copies. Backup copies do fail and this often happens when you need them the most.
Thank you! That is an excellent explanation! I'm amazed at the number of experts who fail to understand that.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Mar 2014   #32
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Many people rush into RAID without understanding it's purpose, what it is, and what it is not. Only later do they find that performance isn't what they expected, or they loose data they thought was protected.

Each type of RAID has it's advantages and disadvantages.
RAID 0 is about performance. It works by increasing transfer rate which is useful when doing serial access of large files. But typical usage in Windows (or any modern OS) tends toward random access to relatively small blocks of data spread over multiple files. In this case the drive spends most of it's time moving the heads and platter position to the data in question and relatively little time with data transfer. RAID won't do much good for this situation. There are legitimate uses for RAID 0 but not many.

The purpose of RAID 1 and RAID 5 is to protect access to your data, but not the data itself. They are not the same thing.

RAID 1 and RAID 5 provide redundancy so that if one drive fails access to your data continues as if nothing happened. This is an enormous advantage in a busy server where downtime is very disruptive to business activities and a major cost. Drive replacement can be deferred to a more convenient time, and with hot swap can be done without downtime at all. The main problem with RAID 1 is that you need 2 drives to provide the storage capacity of 1 and the cost is often hard to justify for workstation use. RAID 5 provides better storage efficiency, but you need at least 3 drives.

But no form of RAID ever devised can protect your data. RAID (except RAID 0) will provide protection from drive failure only, and even that cannot be relied on. In the event of a serious malware infection, accidental or malicious file deletion, other hardware failures, etc., all data could be lost.

To protect your data you need backups. Files of any importance need at least one backup copy while those of particular importance need 2 or more backup copies. Backup copies do fail and this often happens when you need them the most.
Yeah, pretty superstitious eh?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Mar 2014   #33
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

So RAID 1 even though the files are normal and not split, you CANT move drives? Is it because there is something that only a RAID card can understand, hence the separate RAID mode in the BIOS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

11 Mar 2014   #34
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Raid 5.

Because it provides redundancy, requires less drives than raid 0 and 10 (raid 0 efficiency is 1, where as raid 5 is 1/n - better). Although raid 10 has an efficiency of 2/n, I'm prepared to wear the risk of only one drive failing at one time.

Raid 6 is not cost effective for small installations, but would be better is an environment where drives are prone to failure. But for home, I use raid 5 on my server.

Hardware raid is better because it takes the load off the OS.

IMHO.

Tanya
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Mar 2014   #35
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

You know what, should I repost this just to add RAID 5 and 6?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Mar 2014   #36
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

And post why you want to do this and where you want to do it.

With the price of today`s ss drives and hd drives (cheap) what`s the point in a raid setup in a home pc.

And why would you want to pull the drives to put in another pc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Mar 2014   #37
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Computer0304 View Post
You know what, should I repost this just to add RAID 5 and 6?
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
And post why you want to do this and where you want to do it.

With the price of today`s ss drives and hd drives (cheap) what`s the point in a raid setup in a home pc.

And why would you want to pull the drives to put in another pc.
And add No Raid.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Mar 2014   #38
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

So I should? And I would want to pull it out in case the system does not boot so I can connect to another computer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Mar 2014   #39
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Computer0304 View Post
You know what, should I repost this just to add RAID 5 and 6?
Don't do it just because I said Raid 5 - If I am one of the very few that uses it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Mar 2014   #40
Computer0304

Windows 7 Professional 32-bit/Windows 8 64-bit/Win7 Pro64-bit
 
 

And No RAID?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Hardware RAID vs Software RAID




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
NAS or desktop HDD for RAID 1 (or windows software raid)
hi, I want to buy two new HDD for my RAID 1 (mirror) in desktop to store my data. i have onboard RAID (ASrock H77M) but also contemplate to use the windows raid on other SATa ports (in case I want two Raid-1). size would be 3 TB or so. this is to keep data until i backup or for the backup...
Hardware & Devices
Help with Software Raid: Raid over file system "FlexRAID"
Hello Gurus Finally coming back here as i cant get help anywhere else for past 3 or 4 days i am trying to get a software raid to work but it is not happing and i am not getting anywhere. What i am trying to do: Simple i am trying to setup a Software Raid over file system with paid...
Software
Hardware RAID 1 to Windows 7 RAID 1
I need some advice on a hardware/software issue. The basics: I have Win 7 Pro 64 bit installed on an ASUS P7P55D LE motherboard which supports RAID 0,1,5 and 10 using Intel Matrix Storage Technology through an on board Intel P55 chip set. The system was assembled in Nov 2009 using two Western...
Installation & Setup
Converting to Raid 0 Windows 7, NOT Hardware Raid 0
I have tried to find the way to do this, but without success as I cannot see the wood for the trees. Any help or URL would be welcome. I have a mature W7 system, with so many applications loaded that rebuilding from scratch is just not an option. I have a 300MB Velociraptor wholly given over to...
Installation & Setup
Raid setup, hardware or software?
My current 1.5tb media storage drive is nearing full, i want to set up 2x 2tb drives in a striped array (Raid 0 i believe), will i be best using a hardware raid card or software raid? my MoBo is an Asus P5QE Pro Turbo. Thanks, DxxS.
Hardware & Devices
RAID (Software or Hardware)
i read that with current technology, software RAID will provide better performance (uses faster CPUs). is it true? what other factors will you consider and which shld i choose also if i use software RAID whats a good software? i think i will either use RAID1 or 5.
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:27.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App