Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Parental Control Settings cannot be altered Win 7 64-bit

16 Mar 2014   #1
Vesnog

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Parental Control Settings cannot be altered Win 7 64-bit

I noticed that Windows Parental Controls no longer works as intended accidentally. When I click on "Game Rating Systems" or create a standard account and try to apply parental controls on it I get the warning message: "Unable to make changes to parental controls settings. If this problem persists, see your system administrator." So far I have tried
  1. Logging in with built-in administrator account
  2. Installing and uninstalling Windows Live Family Safety (aid of Revo Uninstaller)
  3. Creating a new administrator account and logging into it
  4. Performing safe boot with network support
up to no avail.

I would like to note that I discovered this issue when I purchased and installed Age of Empires 3: Complete Collection via Steam. The game refused to launch saying that, "You do not have permission to run the game. Check the Parental Control settings in the Windows Game Explorer." Afterward I tried to alter the settings and noticed the issue.


I cannot afford performing a reinstall of Windows 7 due to numerous licensed programs installed some of whose licenses are missing and the delicate dual-boot setup along with Ubuntu 12.04. Also note that I have changed the language of the OS with Vistalizator long time ago if this might have any effect on the current status of the computer. I have all the upgrades available installed, latest drivers for my video card etc. I would be grateful for any assistance and guidance on the matter and would like to know if someone else is experiencing similar issues. So far I have posted on Microsoft Community, Steam forums, Age of Empires forums and done an exhaustive research but the issue persists. I think maybe I can pinpoint the source of the issue with a utility such as Event Viewer etc.




Attached Images
Parental Control Settings cannot be altered Win 7 64-bit-ss.jpg 
Attached Files
File Type: txt DxDiag.txt (26.6 KB, 2 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
16 Mar 2014   #2
gregrocker

 

Type "services" in Start Search box. Check if the Parental Controls service is started.

If so then check if the Administrator account is corrupted by creating a new Administrative-level account in Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage Another Account. Use a different name, but one you may decide to keep if this resolves the problem.

More information here to Fix a corrupted user profile - Microsoft Windows Help
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #3
Vesnog

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Type "services" in Start Search box. Check if the Parental Controls service is started.

If so then check if the Administrator account is corrupted by creating a new Administrative-level account in Control Panel>User Accounts>Manage Another Account. Use a different name, but one you may decide to keep if this resolves the problem.

More information here to Fix a corrupted user profile - Microsoft Windows Help
Well thanks for the answer. Actually I have tried it but it did not resolve the issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

17 Mar 2014   #4
gregrocker

 

So you get the exact same error when you establish a new Admin account?

Run SFC /SCANNOW Command.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #5
Vesnog

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
So you get the exact same error when you establish a new Admin account?

Run SFC /SCANNOW Command.
Yes exactly the same error with the newly created Admin account and the built-in admin account. I have also run the sfc command through a command prompt with elevated priveleges, all files are validated. (Actually the first time I ran it something failed to validate but l think it is resolved now . I ran SFC 3 time more afterwards)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #6
gregrocker

 

If SFC doesn't find and repair damaged system files then you can run a Repair Install

The problem can also be related to factory preinstalled Win7, which is the worst possible install one can have of Win7 - larded with bloatware and useless duplicate utilities which interfere with better versions built into Win7.

That's why most tech enthusiasts will not run such an install but instead Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. Everything is provided in the blue link tutorial.

At the minimum I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware.

If this doesn't resolve performance problems, work through these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #7
Vesnog

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If SFC doesn't find and repair damaged system files then you can run a Repair Install

The problem can also be related to factory preinstalled Win7, which is the worst possible install one can have of Win7 - larded with bloatware and useless duplicate utilities which interfere with better versions built into Win7.

That's why most tech enthusiasts will not run such an install but instead Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7. Everything is provided in the blue link tutorial.

At the minimum I'd Clean Up Factory Bloatware.

If this doesn't resolve performance problems, work through these Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.
Thanks, apart from Parental Control issue I have no problems with my current Windows installation. As far as I am concerned the repair install does not guarantee fixing the issue, does it ? I think I might perform a clean installation but I am concerned about the dual-boot system since GRUB2 in MBR is overwritten in any case . By the way does a repair install preserve registry entries? I ask this since I expect my preinstalled software to function properly .
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #8
gregrocker

 

It explains in the Repair Install tutorial what is not preserved so be sure to read it. It reinstalls the OS while keeping all settings, files and programs in place. However you could have a bad setting which might be passed through to the reinstall.

One cannot expect preinstalled factory software to work correctly, even in very good brands such as Asus there is crappy preinstalled bloatware. As I explained this is the worst possible install of Win7 one can have. We offer the best possible install of Win7 in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 compiling what has worked best for tens of thousands of satisfied consumers we've helped here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
17 Mar 2014   #9
Vesnog

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
It explains in the Repair Install tutorial what is not preserved so be sure to read it. It reinstalls the OS while keeping all settings, files and programs in place. However you could have a bad setting which might be passed through to the reinstall.

One cannot expect preinstalled factory software to work correctly, even in very good brands such as Asus there is crappy preinstalled bloatware. As I explained this is the worst possible install of Win7 one can have. We offer the best possible install of Win7 in Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7 compiling what has worked best for tens of thousands of satisfied consumers we've helped here.
Thanks for your time and patience I would try a complete reinstall when I have the time to do so. Meanwhile, I am open to other suggestions and ideas.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Parental Control Settings cannot be altered Win 7 64-bit




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Parental Control
Hi I have set up standard user account on my PC for grandson but I am having problems applying parental controls. I have downloaded “Windows Live Family Safety” and selected the items I think are appropriate but when I log into my grandson account I am able access very adult sites very...
Browsers & Mail
Can't use Parental Control to users
When I want to set up Parental Control to one of the users in my computer, I got this error. Anybody can explain to me why I got this error and how to solve this error? Thank you.
General Discussion
Parental Control Problem
Hi, Sure hope someone can help me. I purchased an Acer Aspire One Netbook for my 12 year old and set up parental controls for him. I set time limits for log on for him. Yesterday I logged on as administrator and had to step away for a few minutes and Junior changed the settings to make himself...
General Discussion
parental control
hi all i need a parental control for my kids, the thing is i have multiple computers and want to find the software that doesnt allow them just to sign off 1 computer and go on the other. i want it all centralised has anyone come across this at all. ty
System Security
help! website has altered our monitor settings!
clicked a link on DPreview and our monitor settings were changed by the linked site with the message that it would not display properly at our setting and needed to be changed! Linked site seems to be legit in other ways tho. don't know exactly what changes were made from a techincal point of...
General Discussion
Q?:parental control
hi first sorry for bad english!! i want to change my parental control on a user but it doesn't change and show this error. http://hostpic.ru/images/625117Untitled.png i logon with administrator user but show it again! what can i do to fix it?
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App