Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How long will you use windows 7?

25 Mar 2014   #51
Lady Fitzgerald

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Who knows really? As of now, I don't plan to change it for anything else if there isn't a strong reason to do so. Most likely, until I buy a new computer and it comes pre-infected with "9"/"10"/whatever, and 7 cannot run on it because of missing drivers (that's how I was forced into 7 for this notebook, in fact).

I tried Win8 in a virtual machine, and on a real install for some time, and it's really bad, despite some improvements, the UI is unusable on computers, it's for tablets. So 7 stays. I'm in the mood to try whatever they come up next, but for me to make a "spontaneous" migration, it needs to be a considerable improvement.
My other desktop is still running XP for the same reason, and still no plans to change it. Maybe when the next reformat inevitably comes.
Do you have a retail copy of XP? If so, I wonder if MS Update site would let you do the SP3 update? I know if you have an OEM copy, if you try to reinstall it, they aren't going to let you register it or do any updates. I'd keep XP going as long as possible too if I were you.
Bad advice! Very bad advice!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Mar 2014   #52
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Do you have a retail copy of XP? If so, I wonder if MS Update site would let you do the SP3 update? I know if you have an OEM copy, if you try to reinstall it, they aren't going to let you register it or do any updates. I'd keep XP going as long as possible too if I were you.
Where did you hear that? As far as I know you'll still be able to reinstall and update it. You just won't get any new updates after the End Of Support date passes. They aren't going to just turn everything off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2014   #53
Endzone

Windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Do you have a retail copy of XP? If so, I wonder if MS Update site would let you do the SP3 update? I know if you have an OEM copy, if you try to reinstall it, they aren't going to let you register it or do any updates. I'd keep XP going as long as possible too if I were you.
Where did you hear that? As far as I know you'll still be able to reinstall and update it. You just won't get any new updates after the End Of Support date passes. They aren't going to just turn everything off.
About 3 weeks ago, my OEM XP took a virus, and I couldn't get to my start page. Unfortunately the XP OEM copy always asked for my administrator password when doing a repair, and I never made one. So, I called MS for the first time, and talked with a lady in the Philippines. She said that since this was the 5th time I was reinstalling XP, I would no longer be allowed to do so, and I had reached the limit of installs with my OEM copy. She said that if I wanted to pay $40, I could get a new key code. Eventually I politely decided not to go ahead with it. I could not get my OEM copy to register or do the SP3 update.

Later that day, I made the necessary MS email account that was required to have the new key code sent to me, and I called MS again. This time I talked with a fellow in Nicaragua. He was rather on the arrogant side, and not as nice as the lady in the Phillipines. He told me he could not offer me the deal of paying $40 to get a new key code for XP. He said as of 4/8, I would not even be able to registar my XP OEM copy online and that I would not be able to do any updates. This is what I was told about my OEM copy that I bought at Fry's Electronics in Seattle, WA sometime in 2008. Is it true? I don't know, but one thing I know is that when I installed my XP OEM copy for the 5th time on my computer, I couldn't register it, and I could not do updates and I couldn't even use Internet Explorer because it always gave me an error message.

No, I remember now, I DID register it, and about 15 minutes after I registered it, that's when I started having all the trouble. That's how MS knew it was the 5th time I had reinstalled my XP OEM copy. After that is when I called MS for the first time in my 57 years. That's when I spoke to the lady in the Philippines.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

25 Mar 2014   #54
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Do you have a retail copy of XP? If so, I wonder if MS Update site would let you do the SP3 update? I know if you have an OEM copy, if you try to reinstall it, they aren't going to let you register it or do any updates. I'd keep XP going as long as possible too if I were you.
Where did you hear that? As far as I know you'll still be able to reinstall and update it. You just won't get any new updates after the End Of Support date passes. They aren't going to just turn everything off.
About 3 weeks ago, my OEM XP took a virus, and I couldn't get to my start page. Unfortunately the XP OEM copy always asked for my administrator password when doing a repair, and I never made one. So, I called MS for the first time, and talked with a lady in the Philippines. She said that since this was the 5th time I was reinstalling XP, I would no longer be allowed to do so, and I had reached the limit of installs with my OEM copy. She said that if I wanted to pay $40, I could get a new key code. Eventually I politely decided not to go ahead with it. I could not get my OEM copy to register or do the SP3 update.

Later that day, I made the necessary MS email account that was required to have the new key code sent to me, and I called MS again. This time I talked with a fellow in Nicaragua. He was rather on the arrogant side, and not as nice as the lady in the Phillipines. He told me he could not offer me the deal of paying $40 to get a new key code for XP. He said as of 4/8, I would not even be able to registar my XP OEM copy online and that I would not be able to do any updates. This is what I was told about my OEM copy that I bought at Fry's Electronics in Seattle, WA sometime in 2008. Is it true? I don't know, but one thing I know is that when I installed my XP OEM copy for the 5th time on my computer, I couldn't register it, and I could not do updates and I couldn't even use Internet Explorer because it always gave me an error message.
I personally think you were misinformed. Only time will tell though. I'd be surprised if Microsoft turned everything off and stopped letting XP users activate and update when support ends. They would get a ton of bad press if they did that.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2014   #55
Endzone

Windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post

Where did you hear that? As far as I know you'll still be able to reinstall and update it. You just won't get any new updates after the End Of Support date passes. They aren't going to just turn everything off.
About 3 weeks ago, my OEM XP took a virus, and I couldn't get to my start page. Unfortunately the XP OEM copy always asked for my administrator password when doing a repair, and I never made one. So, I called MS for the first time, and talked with a lady in the Philippines. She said that since this was the 5th time I was reinstalling XP, I would no longer be allowed to do so, and I had reached the limit of installs with my OEM copy. She said that if I wanted to pay $40, I could get a new key code. Eventually I politely decided not to go ahead with it. I could not get my OEM copy to register or do the SP3 update.

Later that day, I made the necessary MS email account that was required to have the new key code sent to me, and I called MS again. This time I talked with a fellow in Nicaragua. He was rather on the arrogant side, and not as nice as the lady in the Phillipines. He told me he could not offer me the deal of paying $40 to get a new key code for XP. He said as of 4/8, I would not even be able to registar my XP OEM copy online and that I would not be able to do any updates. This is what I was told about my OEM copy that I bought at Fry's Electronics in Seattle, WA sometime in 2008. Is it true? I don't know, but one thing I know is that when I installed my XP OEM copy for the 5th time on my computer, I couldn't register it, and I could not do updates and I couldn't even use Internet Explorer because it always gave me an error message.
I personally think you were misinformed. Only time will tell though. I'd be surprised if Microsoft turned everything off and stopped letting XP users activate and update when support ends. They would get a ton of bad press if they did that.
Yea, did this only apply to me because I was reinstalling XP for the 5th time? The guy in Nicaragua lead me to believe that it would apply to everybody after 4/8 even if you only installed XP OEM one time. In fact, I'm sure that's what he was saying.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2014   #56
TanyaC

Linux Mint 17 Cinnamon | Win 7 Ult x64
 
 

I'll be sticking with Linux from now on with most of my machines. I'll probably continue with the one Win 7 machine until it no longer runs. It is unlikely that I will ever come back to Windows as my primary OS due to removal of Aero, Windows 8.x & Metro, discontinuation of Technet and the new licensing models.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2014   #57
alphanumeric

Windows 10 Education 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post

About 3 weeks ago, my OEM XP took a virus, and I couldn't get to my start page. Unfortunately the XP OEM copy always asked for my administrator password when doing a repair, and I never made one. So, I called MS for the first time, and talked with a lady in the Philippines. She said that since this was the 5th time I was reinstalling XP, I would no longer be allowed to do so, and I had reached the limit of installs with my OEM copy. She said that if I wanted to pay $40, I could get a new key code. Eventually I politely decided not to go ahead with it. I could not get my OEM copy to register or do the SP3 update.

Later that day, I made the necessary MS email account that was required to have the new key code sent to me, and I called MS again. This time I talked with a fellow in Nicaragua. He was rather on the arrogant side, and not as nice as the lady in the Phillipines. He told me he could not offer me the deal of paying $40 to get a new key code for XP. He said as of 4/8, I would not even be able to registar my XP OEM copy online and that I would not be able to do any updates. This is what I was told about my OEM copy that I bought at Fry's Electronics in Seattle, WA sometime in 2008. Is it true? I don't know, but one thing I know is that when I installed my XP OEM copy for the 5th time on my computer, I couldn't register it, and I could not do updates and I couldn't even use Internet Explorer because it always gave me an error message.
I personally think you were misinformed. Only time will tell though. I'd be surprised if Microsoft turned everything off and stopped letting XP users activate and update when support ends. They would get a ton of bad press if they did that.
Yea, did this only apply to me because I was reinstalling XP for the 5th time? The guy in Nicaragua lead me to believe that it would apply to everybody after 4/8 even if you only installed XP OEM one time. In fact, I'm sure that's what he was saying.
I don't know? I'm doubtful.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2014   #58
Endzone

Windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Endzone View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by alphanumeric View Post

I personally think you were misinformed. Only time will tell though. I'd be surprised if Microsoft turned everything off and stopped letting XP users activate and update when support ends. They would get a ton of bad press if they did that.
Yea, did this only apply to me because I was reinstalling XP for the 5th time? The guy in Nicaragua lead me to believe that it would apply to everybody after 4/8 even if you only installed XP OEM one time. In fact, I'm sure that's what he was saying.
I don't know? I'm doubtful.
I hope what this guy in Nicaragua described to me isn't the case about Windows XP. But as you say, time will tell if he was telling the truth or if he was just being a nut. He was giving me the sales pitch for Windows 7. I didn't buy it then, but I like Windows 7 now. I still think XP may have been the best ever, but I've only been on Windows 7 for 2 weeks. There are certain things about each OS that I like.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2014   #59
Endzone

Windows 7 32-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by TanyaC View Post
I'll be sticking with Linux from now on with most of my machines. I'll probably continue with the one Win 7 machine until it no longer runs. It is unlikely that I will ever come back to Windows as my primary OS due to removal of Aero, Windows 8.x & Metro, discontinuation of Technet and the new licensing models.
Hey, I've been to Melbourne. I actually went by ship to the Shell Oil Terminal in Geelong, and then I took the train to Melbourne. Then I took the subway to Huntington or Huntingdale to get some electronic parts to repair a teleprinter onboard the ship. I LOVED Melbourne, Australia. I can't ever remember what state Melbourne is in though. It is either Queeland or Victoria I think. We went to a club in Geelong called "The Wool Exchange." That was over 20 years ago though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Mar 2014   #60
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Sicne xp support is ending, and its the last OS to use the actual microsoft update website the following will be shut down when xp support ends:

  1. XP activation servers
  2. Phone support for xp-unless extended contract for buisnesses
  3. Windows updates. Service packs and windows updates posted to the site for manual updating will be unavailable. Their website here will be shut down for manual xp updating via their website. And trust me, Microsoft is excited about shutting that site down.
  4. KB articles will still be available for XP, like they still have KBs for windows 98.


See here for more information:


What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?


Support is ending for Windows XP - Microsoft Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How long will you use windows 7?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Stuck in startup repair. How long is too long?
Hello, Windows explorer was not responding yesterday so I had no choice but to hard reboot. Since then life has ceased to exist as i knew it. I cannot get into safe mode. Pretty much I can't do anything but linger here in startup repair land. Going on 11 hours now. blue screen for about 4-5 hours...
BSOD Help and Support
How long have you been using Windows 7
How long have you guys been using Windows 7, I have been a user of it for 3 years now
Chillout Room
Not sure on POST error..one long (i thnik, 3 short) then another long
Built 2 computers before and havent had this headache. New ASUS P9X79 pro and a x79 platform processor. I have the recommended brand, type of RAM. Just completed everything (well much earlier today) . When I power on, it shots off very momentarily, turns back on, flashed a bunch of codes...
Hardware & Devices
Recycling a movie from my harddrive is taking long long time.
Why is this. Like 10 minutes plus and it still says recycling. It should only take a second. Is it bad to let it continue at its own pace or should I restart the PC and try it again?
General Discussion
Incredibly long delay from long on to desktop
I just installed a clean version of Win 7 Pro on my Thinkpad X200. Everything is great except for one small problem: there is a 25-30 second wait between the time i enter my logon pw and the time my desktop appears. This is highly unusual for several reasons. First, it doesn't "appear" as though...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 RTM - A long boot up
Hello Seven - Forums. Not long ago I installed W7 on my Macbook laptop as a dual-boot with leopard. Recently my boot up became extremely long because of a black screen that contains only a small white line that blinks on the top left corner of the screen. This screen remains for almost 2 minutes...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

İ Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:08.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App