Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: gpedit not available on win 7 home

28 Mar 2014   #11
countmypennies

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Ok since their really is no solution other than do it manually in the reg, let me REPHRASE the question,, how does one create a standard user account in windows 7 home premium 64bit and disallow the standard user from installing software?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
28 Mar 2014   #12
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Standard users cannot install software or change system settings. That is the way it is right out of the box. That is one of the reasons why standard user accounts were created.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2014   #13
countmypennies

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Standard users cannot install software or change system settings. That is the way it is right out of the box. That is one of the reasons why standard user accounts were created.
not on the 3 computers Im using? they sure can install...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

28 Mar 2014   #14
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

Are you certain they are using the standard account they were assigned or an admin account they might have gained access to?

A standard account does not have the capability to install software. Not unless some vary serious changes have been made to system security. And such could only be made with an admin account.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2014   #15
countmypennies

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Are you certain they are using the standard account they were assigned or an admin account they might have gained access to?

A standard account does not have the capability to install software. Not unless some vary serious changes have been made to system security. And such could only be made with an admin account.
its the standard account if face I created a new one just to try and sure as you know what I can install.. I did a google search and found several links whee users were able to install all so..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2014   #16
AndyHK

Windows 7 Home prem x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by countmypennies View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Are you certain they are using the standard account they were assigned or an admin account they might have gained access to?

A standard account does not have the capability to install software. Not unless some vary serious changes have been made to system security. And such could only be made with an admin account.
its the standard account if face I created a new one just to try and sure as you know what I can install.. I did a google search and found several links whee users were able to install all so..

As I understand it (and the way I have it set up) if the Admin account has a password assigned to it, then in order for a standard user account to install anything they need the admin password. If the Admin account has no password then I think it just has a pop up asking for you to click to allow.

I have an admin account, password protected.. but for everyday use I have a standard account, if I try to install anything it asks for the admin account password.

Though like you say, I have seen it able to install say browser (user specific) add ones without asking.

Seems like your only real option is a registry setting

try looking at the group policy settings Download Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server from Official Microsoft Download Center

Good luck
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2014   #17
countmypennies

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AndyHK View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by countmypennies View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
Are you certain they are using the standard account they were assigned or an admin account they might have gained access to?

A standard account does not have the capability to install software. Not unless some vary serious changes have been made to system security. And such could only be made with an admin account.
its the standard account if face I created a new one just to try and sure as you know what I can install.. I did a google search and found several links whee users were able to install all so..

As I understand it (and the way I have it set up) if the Admin account has a password assigned to it, then in order for a standard user account to install anything they need the admin password. If the Admin account has no password then I think it just has a pop up asking for you to click to allow.

I have an admin account, password protected.. but for everyday use I have a standard account, if I try to install anything it asks for the admin account password.

Though like you say, I have seen it able to install say browser (user specific) add ones without asking.

Seems like your only real option is a registry setting

try looking at the group policy settings Download Group Policy Settings Reference for Windows and Windows Server from Official Microsoft Download Center

Good luck
I cannot use the group policy's since home premium does not include it..
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2014   #18
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

You can skip to the 1:45 point if you are in a hurry.


I don't know of a way to do what countmypennies wants done :-(

And there are plenty of apps the don't even need to be installed. You just download and run them.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
28 Mar 2014   #19
countmypennies

windows 7 home premium 64 bit
 
 

Ok i got it to work I went back to the users panel made sure they all had valid passwords created a administrator and the admin that was is now a normal user and it does work.. thanks for all the help...
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 gpedit not available on win 7 home




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I manually install gpedit.msc on my Windows 7 Home Premium?
When I tried to update Chrome I got an (error:7) message that said I needed to use the group policy editor to change the Update Group Policy settings. But, apparently, Windows 7 Home doesnt have a Local Group Policy Editor that I can access. Can this be done manually somehow???? :confused:
Software
How can i disable a gpedit?
How can i disable a gpedit?:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
General Discussion
gpedit.msc
Hi there! I was following tips from Restrict or prevent users from running programs in Windows and everything works well apart that gpedit.msc itself getting blocked even that I am logged as an administrator. When I have chosen just couple of programs to be allowed I cannot start gpedit.msc as...
General Discussion
gpedit.msi for Win 7 Home Prem. x64?
From what I have read, gpedit.msc only works with Win 7 Professional and Ultimate. Whenever you try to access it from Home Premium is says it "could not snap-in". So does anyone know of a fix to this or a program that does the same thing? gpedit.msc is a "group policy" editor and viewer. ...
Software
Win7 Home Premium: replacement for gpedit?
I'm a Win7 newbie and have just run into a shutdown problem involving an M-Audio sound card. The problem was solved a year ago with a .bat file to be run at shutdown, but implementation involved the following steps: 4) Open "run" from start menu and enter "gpedit.msc" (without quotes) and hit "OK"...
General Discussion
Gpedit
I ran a search in the Start Menu's Search window, but it found nothing. I checked in the Services.msc and it shows the Group Policy Client set to automatic and is started, so how do I access gpedit?
Customization


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 20:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App