Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Might Now why my computer crashes while Using Prime!

30 Mar 2014   #1
sisrace

 
Might Now why my computer crashes while Using Prime!

Hi. So i use the 8350 with a spec of 5200Mt/s
While my motherboard has a Hyper transport bus of only 4800Mt/s
I can max the cpu with prime for about 10 minutes. Then one core crashes and it goes 2 minutes. Another core crashes and after around 20s i get a bluescreen or... Hrm.. Windows 8.1 Light blue Sadface -.-

Does the Mt/s matter or what is it really?
And can this accually be a possible reason for the crashing?
The Ram is good, The Cpu is fine, The cooling is more than enough and the psu is very very good


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Mar 2014   #2
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

The chip will only run at the motherboards maximum spec. That shouldn't cause Prime to fail. Prime will fail for various reasons, usually a RAM or CPU fault, but not because the M\ts are slower on the motherboard. The 970 chipset doesn't seem to completely support the FX 8350. Mine doesn't.

Are you overclocking? If you are, does Prime fail at stock speeds? If so, then you have likely a problem with your CPU or RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2014   #3
sisrace

 

Well. It is crashing at stock speeds but the cpu is ramping up to 4.2Ghz..
And why doesent your 970 chipset support the cpu while mine do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Mar 2014   #4
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Well. It is crashing at stock speeds but the cpu is ramping up to 4.2Ghz..
The CPU going to 4.2 GHz is normal. That's just the turbo mode kicking in.
Quote:
And why doesent your 970 chipset support the cpu while mine do?
My motherboard is an ASUS M5A97 and it *says* it supports the CPU, but the HT bus doesn't go to 5200 M\ts, and there are some other quirks like Load Line Calibration overvolting the CPU, memory controller issues with the CPU (the memory controller is on the CPU die, but I don't think my Northbridge likes the 8350's memory controller very much).

Something you could try is first check that your CPU and RAM voltages are correct, then bump up the CPU voltage the tiniest bit, and try Prime again. It doesn't take much, so don't overdo it.

You could also try relaxing your RAM timings a little. That's what I had to do to be stable. I went from 9-9-9-24 to 10-10-10-30 and it runs OK now.

Try the RAM timings first before you up the voltage on the CPU.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2014   #5
sisrace

 

Sooo... What should i set ram voltage to?
IF i need to increase cpu voltage. How much should i increase? 1v 0.1v 0.01V 0.001v ? ( Probably not 1v im not that dumb :P )
And how much does increasing latency from 9-9-9-24 to 10-10-10-30 affect performance. Anyhing noticble?
And also.. My ram has some basic heatsinks. Like a metalpiece on the modules so is it safe to set lateny from a 9 latency to a 8 latency. Will this overheat the modules or what?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2014   #6
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Sooo... What should i set ram voltage to?
No more than its maximum rated voltage.

Quote:
IF i need to increase cpu voltage. How much should i increase? 1v 0.1v 0.01V 0.001v ? ( Probably not 1v im not that dumb :P )
The very smallest increment that your motherboard allows.

Quote:
And how much does increasing latency from 9-9-9-24 to 10-10-10-30 affect performance. Anyhing noticble?
It will affect your benchmarks, but in day to day usage, you probably won't notice a slight change like that.

Quote:
And also.. My ram has some basic heatsinks. Like a metalpiece on the modules so is it safe to set lateny from a 9 latency to a 8 latency. Will this overheat the modules or what?
You're not actually setting the latency (though latency is affected), you're setting the access and response time of the RAM. Changing it down to 8 would probably only cause more problems, unless your sticks are rated for it. They put those timings on your sticks for a reason. That's the fastest that they can run under normal circumstances, and they're usually XMP settings. The modules usually don't overheat unless you're overclocking the RAM, or you have set the voltage higher than spec. I don't suggest that you do either of those. If anything, I would relax the timings and see where that gets you with Prime.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2014   #7
sisrace

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Sooo... What should i set ram voltage to?
No more than its maximum rated voltage.

Quote:
IF i need to increase cpu voltage. How much should i increase? 1v 0.1v 0.01V 0.001v ? ( Probably not 1v im not that dumb :P )
The very smallest increment that your motherboard allows.

Quote:
And how much does increasing latency from 9-9-9-24 to 10-10-10-30 affect performance. Anyhing noticble?
It will affect your benchmarks, but in day to day usage, you probably won't notice a slight change like that.

Quote:
And also.. My ram has some basic heatsinks. Like a metalpiece on the modules so is it safe to set lateny from a 9 latency to a 8 latency. Will this overheat the modules or what?
You're not actually setting the latency (though latency is affected), you're setting the access and response time of the RAM. Changing it down to 8 would probably only cause more problems, unless your sticks are rated for it. They put those timings on your sticks for a reason. That's the fastest that they can run under normal circumstances, and they're usually XMP settings. The modules usually don't overheat unless you're overclocking the RAM, or you have set the voltage higher than spec. I don't suggest that you do either of those. If anything, I would relax the timings and see where that gets you with Prime.
Um... If i set the Ram to 1866Mhz is that one of your Option 1 or 2? ( Signature joke )
But seriously is it something that is recomenden or is it very bad.?

How do i know the Maximum ram voltage?

If i know the Max ram voltage. Should i just set it to the max and not care about that anymore?


Also.. How do you messure Ram heat without a Laser thermometer
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2014   #8
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Um... If i set the Ram to 1866Mhz is that one of your Option 1 or 2? ( Signature joke )
But seriously is it something that is recomenden or is it very bad.?
If you want to cause yourself more problems, by all means, set the RAM to 1866.

Quote:
How do i know the Maximum ram voltage?

If i know the Max ram voltage. Should i just set it to the max and not care about that anymore?
Go to the manufacturer's (I assume it's Crucial by your system specs) website and look up your RAM. It should tell you the specs and voltage that you need to set it to run at 1600MHz. That is probably its XMP setting. If you want the RAM to run at its XMP settings (fastest possible), you need to set the voltage and timings to what the manufacturer tells you to in their spec. You can also use CPU-Z to look at your RAM specs. There is also usually a sticker with this information on your RAM sticks. It will show you the XMP settings and voltage as well. Do NOT set the RAM voltage higher than spec if you want the RAM to last long.

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com


Quote:
Also.. How do you messure Ram heat without a Laser thermometer
The best way I know of is with a laser thermometer, but really, unless you're overclocking your RAM, heat won't really be an issue.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2014   #9
sisrace

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Mellon Head View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
Um... If i set the Ram to 1866Mhz is that one of your Option 1 or 2? ( Signature joke )
But seriously is it something that is recomenden or is it very bad.?
If you want to cause yourself more problems, by all means, set the RAM to 1866.

Quote:
How do i know the Maximum ram voltage?

If i know the Max ram voltage. Should i just set it to the max and not care about that anymore?
Go to the manufacturer's (I assume it's Crucial by your system specs) website and look up your RAM. It should tell you the specs and voltage that you need to set it to run at 1600MHz. That is probably its XMP setting. If you want the RAM to run at its XMP settings (fastest possible), you need to set the voltage and timings to what the manufacturer tells you to in their spec. You can also use CPU-Z to look at your RAM specs. There is also usually a sticker with this information on your RAM sticks. It will show you the XMP settings and voltage as well. Do NOT set the RAM voltage higher than spec if you want the RAM to last long.

RAM Memory Upgrade: Dell, Mac, Apple, HP, Compaq. USB drives, SSD at Crucial.com


Quote:
Also.. How do you messure Ram heat without a Laser thermometer
The best way I know of is with a laser thermometer, but really, unless you're overclocking your RAM, heat won't really be an issue.
http://www.crucial.com/pdf/productFl..._Letter-EN.pdf

There. It said on the webiste it uses 1.35v but there ^ it says 1.5V

1866Mhz overclock not recomenden by you?

Cpu voltage the smalles bumb in possible
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Mar 2014   #10
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sisrace View Post
http://www.crucial.com/pdf/productFl..._Letter-EN.pdf

There. It said on the webiste it uses 1.35v but there ^ it says 1.5V
It depends on what model of RAM you have. Which one in that flyer is yours? Try pulling a RAM stick and looking for a tag or label, like mine has:

Might Now why my computer crashes while Using Prime!-p1010113.jpg

Notice the timings and voltage marked on the tag. Yours should have something similar on it, I would think.

Quote:
1866Mhz overclock not recomenden by you?
No, I don't recommend it.

Quote:
Cpu voltage the smalles bumb in possible
Try the RAM first before you do the CPU voltage. Only do one thing at a time.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Might Now why my computer crashes while Using Prime!




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Flash always crashes on Amazon Prime with Chrome
It used to not crash, now it always does. The only fix is close the yellow notification, then hit the reload page. Then it will play. If you do this watch a video and then select another video, flash will always once again crash. It has been crashing for about a week. I found this...
Software
ASUS Eee Pad Transformer Prime
Newegg.com - ASUS TF201-B1-CG Transformer Prime - Champagne NVIDIA Tegra 3 1.30GHz 10.1" Wide XGA 1GB Memory DDR2 32GB Flash Integrated Graphics It seems I bought the last one in stock there. I can't wait to get this, as my current tablet has been driving me nuts (lagging, low capacity, lack of...
Chillout Room
new CPU failing Prime 95
Hiya guys, would like to pick your brains if I may. As some of you may or may not know, I recently built my new rig (specs in profile). Now last night, I was running Prime95 to get an idea of my stock temps, and Core 3 failed (expected x, returned y). Fearing the worst, I reran it, and it again...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 - 64-bit to go prime time
Consumers have had the option of 64-bit Windows computing since the release of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition in May 2005, four years after the release of Windows XP 32-bit. At the end of 2006, Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit versions were released simultaneously. Yet chances are you're...
News
Not Ready for Prime Time
Realizing this is a beta, I 've had some problems. I want to post the ones I can think of at the moment. These are persistant problems which no amout of "googling" has turned up any fixes for. This is on just ONE system. I need one for every day stablity, and havn't run the 3rd system long enough...
General Discussion
RC not ready for prime time?
With all the problems some folks are having trying to install this perhaps MS should stop allowing downloads till they fix the problem in RC-2. If this product is released to the public as is it will be a disaster. What is shocking is that the beta installed without a hitch but would not install...
Installation & Setup


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 14:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App