Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.

24 Apr 2014   #51
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Tag editing

Well it seems that AudioShell made some unspecified changes that fixed something but who knows what that was?

If removal solved the Explorer issue then perhaps there was a problem with the shell extensions:

Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.-shellexview.jpg

Hopefully the Explorer issue won't reappear!




My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
25 Apr 2014   #52
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

This is a very odd issue. Malware scanners report clean

I don't see a real time AntiVirus pgm - did I miss it? Do you have one?

Please download a real-time AV program to protect your system.

Real time protection (use only one)
  • avast! be free Antivirus
  • AVG | Free
  • Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

    When installing be alert to untick all checkboxes that are cross marketing and not part of the application. These are mostly toolbars or the Chrome browser. Read the dialog boxes during and after the install and look for checkboxes - remove the tick from anything that isn't part of the AV application.

    Also, do not accept the offer of a free trial, you want to install the FREE version.



==== Installed Programs ======================
.
Do you know what these apps are? No uninstall them.

2345好压
2345看图王
360安全卫士
360手机助手
360杀毒

I would uninstall these one by one to see if one one them is causing the issue

If you have objection to uninstalling any, let me know and I'll do some further reaearch.

If you have a paid version, make sure you have the license key BEFORE uninstalling.

You have a number of media players. VLC should handle almost everything.
You also have a number of codecs - these are known to cause issues (plus VLC has almost every codec already)

Some are just housekeeping and won't have any affect on the issue (i.e.Bonjour, silverlight)

BaiduPlayer1.19.0.78
Bonjour
CopyTrans Suite Remove Only
Driver Booster
Game Assistant
Google Chrome
Google Update Helper
Internet Download Manager
Java 7 Update 45
Java 7 Update 45 (64-bit)
Java Auto Updater
K-Lite Codec Pack 10.4.0 Full
LogMeIn Hamachi
Microsoft Silverlight
Nexon Game Manager
Pando Media Booster
Smart Defrag 3
Surfing Protection
Tencent QQMail Plugin
Xvid Video Codec

These following are suspicious to me (could be my text editor though). If you don't know what they are, uininstall them if . A screen shot of installed pgms. would eliminate it being my text editor

μTorrent
千千静听(百度音乐版) 7.0.2.0
百度云管家
百度音乐2013 8.2.12.7
腾讯QQ
谷歌拼音输入法 2.7
鲁大师
.

I'd like to see another dds - thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
25 Apr 2014   #53
41023

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
This is a very odd issue. Malware scanners report clean

I don't see a real time AntiVirus pgm - did I miss it? Do you have one?

Please download a real-time AV program to protect your system.

Real time protection (use only one)
  • avast! be free Antivirus
  • AVG | Free
  • Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE)

    When installing be alert to untick all checkboxes that are cross marketing and not part of the application. These are mostly toolbars or the Chrome browser. Read the dialog boxes during and after the install and look for checkboxes - remove the tick from anything that isn't part of the AV application.

    Also, do not accept the offer of a free trial, you want to install the FREE version.



==== Installed Programs ======================
.
Do you know what these apps are? No uninstall them.

2345好压
2345看图王
360安全卫士
360手机助手
360杀毒

I would uninstall these one by one to see if one one them is causing the issue

If you have objection to uninstalling any, let me know and I'll do some further reaearch.

If you have a paid version, make sure you have the license key BEFORE uninstalling.

You have a number of media players. VLC should handle almost everything.
You also have a number of codecs - these are known to cause issues (plus VLC has almost every codec already)

Some are just housekeeping and won't have any affect on the issue (i.e.Bonjour, silverlight)

BaiduPlayer1.19.0.78
Bonjour
CopyTrans Suite Remove Only
Driver Booster
Game Assistant
Google Chrome
Google Update Helper
Internet Download Manager
Java 7 Update 45
Java 7 Update 45 (64-bit)
Java Auto Updater
K-Lite Codec Pack 10.4.0 Full
LogMeIn Hamachi
Microsoft Silverlight
Nexon Game Manager
Pando Media Booster
Smart Defrag 3
Surfing Protection
Tencent QQMail Plugin
Xvid Video Codec

These following are suspicious to me (could be my text editor though). If you don't know what they are, uininstall them if . A screen shot of installed pgms. would eliminate it being my text editor

μTorrent
千千静听(百度音乐版) 7.0.2.0
百度云管家
百度音乐2013 8.2.12.7
腾讯QQ
谷歌拼音输入法 2.7
鲁大师
.

I'd like to see another dds - thanks
I know those programs. After uninstalled Audioshell the explorer has not crashed since, so I guess it's all right from here. I'll post if the problem occur again, if not then that means I'm done with it.
Thank you.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Apr 2014   #54
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Ok, I figured that auioshell was casuing WinExplorer to crash - not sure why, but 3rd party add-ons often cause other issues.

Did you install an AV pgm?

I read my post suggesting uninstlaling programs and it wasn't all that clear.

I was asking if you knew the first and last group of pgms. Your response was that you knew the pgms, that uninstalling Audioshell stopped WinExplorer crashes and that it's all right from here.

If this means that you can edit properties in WinExplorer, great. You can skip the the rest of this post.
I'm guessing that editing mp3 properties in WinExplorer is still an issue - please comfirm.

I should have asked this before.. is this only an issue with audio files? Can you edit properties of other type of files in WinExplorer? Try an image file (jpg, png - date taken, title, etc)

I'm leaning towards resetting mp3 in the registry if it's only mp3 files.

Regarding uninstalling pgms: Could you post a screen shot of Control panel installed programs? All I see when I look at the dds attach file are what I'm guessing are unicode characters that my text editor can't handle.

I suggested uninstalling the middle gorup of 20 pgms unless you really need them. The codec packs are know to cause issues on some machines, different players set parameters that might conflict with WinExplorer, Bonjour, chrome, and Jave have also caused issues on some machines. The rest of the list seem to be unecessary 3rd party apps - any 3rd party app is always suspect (see what audioshell did?)

Please let me know where the issue stands, I don't want to suggest anything else until I know what has already been done or if the issue is already resolved.

Thanks,

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2014   #55
41023

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Ok, I figured that auioshell was casuing WinExplorer to crash - not sure why, but 3rd party add-ons often cause other issues.

Did you install an AV pgm?

I read my post suggesting uninstlaling programs and it wasn't all that clear.

I was asking if you knew the first and last group of pgms. Your response was that you knew the pgms, that uninstalling Audioshell stopped WinExplorer crashes and that it's all right from here.

If this means that you can edit properties in WinExplorer, great. You can skip the the rest of this post.
I'm guessing that editing mp3 properties in WinExplorer is still an issue - please comfirm.

I should have asked this before.. is this only an issue with audio files? Can you edit properties of other type of files in WinExplorer? Try an image file (jpg, png - date taken, title, etc)

I'm leaning towards resetting mp3 in the registry if it's only mp3 files.

Regarding uninstalling pgms: Could you post a screen shot of Control panel installed programs? All I see when I look at the dds attach file are what I'm guessing are unicode characters that my text editor can't handle.

I suggested uninstalling the middle gorup of 20 pgms unless you really need them. The codec packs are know to cause issues on some machines, different players set parameters that might conflict with WinExplorer, Bonjour, chrome, and Jave have also caused issues on some machines. The rest of the list seem to be unecessary 3rd party apps - any 3rd party app is always suspect (see what audioshell did?)

Please let me know where the issue stands, I don't want to suggest anything else until I know what has already been done or if the issue is already resolved.

Thanks,

Bill
.
My anti virus program is called 360, it's Chinese.
Now I can still edit mp3 even after uninstalled Audioshell.
Well, I can edit the date taken of PNG but not JPG.

Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.-qq-20140426142517.png

Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.-qq-20140426142527.png

The issue is resolved, I can edit mp3s in explorer and it's not crashing any more.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Apr 2014   #56
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Excellent news, thanks for the feedback.

re: image property editing in WinExplorer.
Date taken is the only field I can edit for PNG, but can edit other fields (ratings, tag, title, etc) for JPG.
Can you edit ANY fields for JPG?

Please run the attached batch file that queries entries in the registry and outputs the results to your downloads folder as FileAsc_JPG.txt
Attach the output file to a post. I might suggest restoring the default values for JPG after seeing the file.

I don't want to do this piecemeal. If restoring JPG resolved the issue for that file type, then you can pick and choose which file types you might need to default as you come across them. There's a tutorial with all file types - but let's start with JPG.

Audioshell must have reset the defaults for mp3, and it stuck even after you uninstalled that app.

Bill
.


Attached Files
File Type: bat RegQueryJPG.bat (1.4 KB, 1 views)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #57
41023

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by slartybart View Post
excellent news, thanks for the feedback.

Re: Image property editing in winexplorer.
Date taken is the only field i can edit for png, but can edit other fields (ratings, tag, title, etc) for jpg.
Can you edit any fields for jpg?

Please run the attached batch file that queries entries in the registry and outputs the results to your downloads folder as fileasc_jpg.txt
attach the output file to a post. I might suggest restoring the default values for jpg after seeing the file.

I don't want to do this piecemeal. If restoring jpg resolved the issue for that file type, then you can pick and choose which file types you might need to default as you come across them. There's a tutorial with all file types - but let's start with jpg.

Audioshell must have reset the defaults for mp3, and it stuck even after you uninstalled that app.

Bill
.
FileAsc_JPG.txt


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #58
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Thanks, it looks as though you are missing part of the JPG file association. I'm not certain, but it appears as though 2345 is responsble - at least 2345pic is associated with JPG.

There are reg files in this tutorial that will set file types to default values
Default File Type Associations - Restore

Scroll down to JPG and download just that reg file
Double click the downloaded file to merge it inot your registry (answer yes to any security dialogs)

Then see if you can edit the properties for a JPG file in WinExplorer.

You should be able to edit certain properties for different file types. If you come across any file type that you want to edit in WinExplorer but cannot then pick the appropriate reg file from the tutorial, download, and merge it.

This is all based on if the JPG test worked - if you still can't edit JPG properties in WinExplorer after merging the defualt reg file, then it is something else.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Bill
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #59
41023

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Thanks, it looks as though you are missing part of the JPG file association. I'm not certain, but it appears as though 2345 is responsble - at least 2345pic is associated with JPG.

There are reg files in this tutorial that will set file types to default values
Default File Type Associations - Restore

Scroll down to JPG and download just that reg file
Double click the downloaded file to merge it inot your registry (answer yes to any security dialogs)

Then see if you can edit the properties for a JPG file in WinExplorer.

You should be able to edit certain properties for different file types. If you come across any file type that you want to edit in WinExplorer but cannot then pick the appropriate reg file from the tutorial, download, and merge it.

This is all based on if the JPG test worked - if you still can't edit JPG properties in WinExplorer after merging the defualt reg file, then it is something else.

Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,

Bill
Yes! This is very helpful, now I can edit jpg and jpeg, and anything else I can't by using the link above.

Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.-qq-20140427131452.png

Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.-qq-20140427131622.png

Once again Bill, thank you for solving my problems.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Apr 2014   #60
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

You're welcome- glad we finally nailed it, the issue is resolved, and you have the tools you need to repair any file type.

Bill
.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
DVD drive will not open folder to view files with Windows Explorer
I recently bought a second internal dvd drive, physically installed it, plugged it into the last remaining SATA port on the mother board. When I inserted a data dvd, autoplay popped up giving me one option - to open folder to view files with Windows Explorer. When I clicked that option nothing...
Hardware & Devices
Can't view or edit mp3 tags in explorer
I am new to Windows 7, but have been using Windows for many years. I have researched other threads on this issue, but nothing has resolved the problem for me. All my MP3 files are tagged and I can see the data in iTunes and in Windows Explorer on my Vista PC, but in Windows 7 Explorer, all I see is...
Music, Pictures & Video
I need a Windows file explorer that can view/modify FTP files?
Hi everyone, I recently setup an FTP server using this genius little piece of hardware called CloudFTP (now called iUSBport as of today, LOL). Anyways, I can access my CloudFTP just fine through my smartphone, using a file explorer app w/FTP ability. My question is, is there a downloadable...
Software
explorer.exe crash when trying to view files!?
Hello. Today I started my PC without problems...logged in...then I clicked the My Documents button in RocketDock. Something weird happened. I get the error : Windows Explorer Crashed :mad:.I tried in Safe Mode and it worked :huh:?! I scanned with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO but only an adware....
Software
Windows Explorer crashes with MP4 files in Large Icons(thumbnails)view
Whenever I view a folder which contains .MP4 (H264) video files in large icon view (shows thumbnails), Windows 7's Explorer crashes. Explorer loads for a few seconds, the green progress bar shows up, and then boom!, Explorer crashes. The thumbnails are not shown before crashing. Does anyone know...
BSOD Help and Support
How do you get Tool Bar(file edit view...) in Explorer
The title says it all - In Windows Explorer how do you get the tool bar that has - File Edit View Tools Help Thanks for your help Ron
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:32.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App