Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.


05 Apr 2014   #1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 
Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.

Usually when I click on a mp3 file it will show all the informations about that file in the bottom of the folder and I can edit them, like album, contributing artists, and track number. But recently when I clicked on them there are no in tags for me to view. I have k-lite codec pack 10.3.7 installed.





Thanks.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

05 Apr 2014   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Have you used a tagging application such as Mp3tag to take a look at them?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2014   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Have you used a tagging application such as Mp3tag to take a look at them?
No I did not.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


05 Apr 2014   #4

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

I can't say if it will help, but that app is generally regarded as the best tagging application out there. If it can't find tags, I don't know what to tell you--I have tens of thousands of mp3s and have never lost tags. BUT, I never try to edit them manually through the properties page as you are doing. I always use mp3tag. It can operate on thousands of songs at a time.

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

It has a learning curve like any other app. But you need something to determine easily if your tags are outright erased, or if this is just some peculiarity with Windows.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on a random folder in my collection:


Attached Thumbnails
Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.-untitled-1.jpg  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Apr 2014   #5

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
I can't say if it will help, but that app is generally regarded as the best tagging application out there. If it can't find tags, I don't know what to tell you--I have tens of thousands of mp3s and have never lost tags. BUT, I never try to edit them manually through the properties page as you are doing. I always use mp3tag. It can operate on thousands of songs at a time.

Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, ...)

It has a learning curve like any other app. But you need something to determine easily if your tags are outright erased, or if this is just some peculiarity with Windows.

Here's a screenshot of what it looks like on a random folder in my collection:
Thanks, I'll use this program and wait for a solution to my problem as I feel more convenient editing them in the folder.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Apr 2014   #6

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Help?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2014   #7

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Help, still can't read or write in explorer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
16 Apr 2014   #8
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

Did that occur since you installed K-lite - which in my book is malware.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Apr 2014   #9

Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Did that occur since you installed K-lite - which in my book is malware.
No, I installed k-lite much longer before, this just happened a week ago.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Apr 2014   #10

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

A few questions and a possible fix

Is this true for all mp3 files? You cannot edit the property on all mp3 files. Or is it only a few (less than 500

Was MP3tag able to change the properties?

What media player do you use? Windows Media Player?

Are the affected files in the Windows Music Library? Where are you attempting to make changes - in the Library view or the actual folder? (shouldn't matter really)

Is the folder on a internal or external drive?

What is that shred icon? Any other software recently added?

The screen shot looks like a music folder - check the folder properties > customize > type=Music
Try resetting to General and then back to Music.

A few questions - less than 500

The first thing I would try would be to rebuild the Windows Index.
Control Panel > Indexing Options > Advanced > Delete and rebuild the index
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: Cannot view nor edit mp3 files in explorer.
Thread Forum
Solved Can't view or edit mp3 tags in explorer Music, Pictures & Video
I need a Windows file explorer that can view/modify FTP files? Software
explorer.exe crash when trying to view files!? Software
How do you get Tool Bar(file edit view...) in Explorer General Discussion
Windows Explorer doesn't update view when moving or deleting files General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33