Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: format system reserve drive by mistake, cannot boot win7


08 Apr 2014   #1

win 7 64 Home Premium
 
 
format system reserve drive by mistake, cannot boot win7

Yesterday I was going to format an external hdd, however I accidentally format the system reserve drive(with minitool partition wizard and disk management), and then my Windows 7 won't boot. So I create a Windows 7 iso boot usb, it can go into the installation, however when I click install is says no driver found, i tried the swap usb driver method and still not working.

Additional information, from the installation, i found out that all other disk were fine(all file are still there) beside C:, the only thing left in my C: drive is a file called temp, so I assume maybe my Windows 7 os has delete?

Sony laptop with Windows 7 home premium 64bit os

How should I fix this problem? can i still recovery my C: drive?
Any suggestion would be helpful, I'm very appreciate that

problem restate:
1.accidently format system reserve with minitool wizard
2.installed Windows 7 through burned dvd iso
3.still cannot boot windows with hdd
4.C: drive said no label and only thing left was "Temp" file
5.the installed Windows 7 is in G: drive - local disk


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Apr 2014   #2

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Where did you get the Windows ISO and how did you turn it into a boot USB?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #3

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

How can you be so stupid to delete the wrong partition?

Solution: Boot from Windows 7 install dvd. Select repair my computer->command prompt. Now do:
Code:
 
DIR  C:\windows
DIR  D:\windows
DIR  E:\windows
What drive letter has the windows folder? So actually... what drive letter has the Windows 7 partition? Mark that partition ACTIVE. Can also be done in Partition Wizard.

Post back results
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


08 Apr 2014   #4

win 7 64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
How can you be so stupid to delete the wrong partition?

Solution: Boot from Windows 7 install dvd. Select repair my computer->command prompt. Now do:
Code:
 
DIR  C:\windows
DIR  D:\windows
DIR  E:\windows
What drive letter has the windows folder? So actually... what drive letter has the Windows 7 partition? Mark that partition ACTIVE. Can also be done in Partition Wizard.

Post back results
Now I'm having a new issue, I burn the iso into DVD, and installed it without formatting, since I have important file in c: drive and I hope it could recovery. Installation is succecced after few tries, however I still couldn't boot with my HDD, it says"a disk read error occurred"
Additional is that I find out the operating system was installed in a local disk called G:
Which there is still nothing in my C: drive beside temp file

What should I do?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #5

win 7 64 Home Premium
 
 

I have a disk 0 partition 3 with 347.98GB and 245.7GB free and the type is primary, so I think this is my original C: drive, is that mean I still have my stuff there? But when I use command C: dir there is nothing but the temp file, and also says my C:\has no label
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #6

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Why did you reinstall?

"Installation is succecced after few tries".... later you say "I still couldn't boot with my HDD".
Did you reinstall or not? Was it succesfully?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #7

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Windows 7 SP1, Home Premium, 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbazyzy View Post
I burn the iso into DVD, and installed it without formatting
What??? Can you rephrase that?

You installed an ISO?

You installed Windows without formatting?

You did something else?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #8

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

A disk drive letter is ..... just a disk drive letter. It is different if you boot to Windows 7, vista, winxp or boot from dvd to winpe.

You better do what I asked in post #3
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #9

win 7 64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Why did you reinstall?

"Installation is succecced after few tries".... later you say "I still couldn't boot with my HDD".
Did you reinstall or not? Was it succesfully?
Because I'm having trouble of can find required disk drive to install when using USB, solved by using DVD.
And I did a full install once, and it restart after finished, and since I haven't change bios setting which currently (1st DVD, 2nd HDD) so ask me to boot with DVD drive and bring me back to install windows, however thing is there is a os that I can choose to repair, which said in a local disk G, (I don't have an os appear there before the installation).
I also did try to change the boot order let HDD be the first, but is says disk read error occurred
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Apr 2014   #10

win 7 64 Home Premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ignatzatsonic View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by cbazyzy View Post
I burn the iso into DVD, and installed it without formatting
What??? Can you rephrase that?

You installed an ISO?

You installed Windows without formatting?

You did something else?
Yes I did without formatting, but nothing else
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 format system reserve drive by mistake, cannot boot win7




Thread Tools



Similar help and support threads for2: format system reserve drive by mistake, cannot boot win7
Thread Forum
System Reserve drive General Discussion
Cant format old system drive after dual boot install Backup and Restore
Deleted system reserve, stuck, cant boot General Discussion
Solved How to format a drive with Windows 7 Dual Boot system? Installation & Setup
Reassigned Drive letters and System Reserve Installation & Setup

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:24 PM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33