Windows 7 Forums
Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Need to get Windows XP...


14 Apr 2014   #1

 
Need to get Windows XP...

Hi there, I know it's not supported any longer, but need a copy to run a program that won't run properly on Win 7. It will be installed on a laptop. Do have a key.

Thanks for any help.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Apr 2014   #2

Windows 8.1 Pro | Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1
 
 

What version of Windows 7 do you have? With a key you can use xp mode

Windows XP Mode - Install and Setup
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2014   #3

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by inhaliburton View Post
Hi there, I know it's not supported any longer, but need a copy to run a program that won't run properly on Win 7. It will be installed on a laptop. Do have a key.

Thanks for any help.
You can download it here.
Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File from Official Microsoft Download Center
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


15 Apr 2014   #4

Windows 7 Ultimate x86 and x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by inhaliburton View Post
Hi there, I know it's not supported any longer, but need a copy to run a program that won't run properly on Win 7. It will be installed on a laptop. Do have a key.

Thanks for any help.
You can download it here.
Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File from Official Microsoft Download Center
I could be mistaken (it happened once before), but I believe that is just the SP3 update.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2014   #5

Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit
 
 

Have you tried running the program in Compatibility Mode (not the same as the XP mode Dude suggested)? Compatibility Mode is available in all versions of Win 7. To use it, right click on the .exe file used to start the program, click on Properties, click on the Properties tab, the check off Compatibility mode. Sometimes, you also have to run the program installer in compatibility mode.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2014   #6

 

bigmck, Isn't that link a "service pak" update for an already installed XP OS?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2014   #7

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Windows 7 Home 64-bit.
 
 

Since XP is no longer supported, am I allowed to suggest things like Tiny XP? If not, you might be able to get a replacement setup CD from the vendor you got the key from for like $10, otherwise you're going to pay like $200 for an unused key. Any way to reinstall it from an old backup partition somewhere? Ask some of your friends, parents, etc? Good chance someone close by has something.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2014   #8

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MrWhoopee View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by inhaliburton View Post
Hi there, I know it's not supported any longer, but need a copy to run a program that won't run properly on Win 7. It will be installed on a laptop. Do have a key.

Thanks for any help.
You can download it here.
Download Windows XP Service Pack 3 - ISO-9660 CD Image File from Official Microsoft Download Center
I could be mistaken (it happened once before), but I believe that is just the SP3 update.
You are correct. That is what I get for not reading the site closely.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2014   #9

W7 X-64 W8.1 X-64 Opensuse 13.1 W2003 Server
 
 

Hi there
you *might* be able to get an iso from a torrent site -- TAKE CARE though -- don't use any activation bypass and use your own key for activating.

I wouldn't recommend this action normally - but if it's THE LAST resort then maybe but take care and ensure you aren't pirating anything. - Since you already HAVE a proper key I wouldn't regard getting a CLEAN ISO from a torrent site as piracy -- you've PAID for the licence. - When re-activating do it by phone and say you've moved the OS to a new computer -- but use YOUR key for activation attempt - not any keygen / hack in the torrent files.

Another solution maybe -- copy the system via Acronis universal backup and restore (or equivalent program) from a computer being thrown away and restore to your machine. Again phone activation will be required so ensure the old XP system was a retail one -- in those days the OS was usually a retail copy rather than the hobbled bloatware OEM OS'es that are pre-installed nowadays.

If you DO use a torrent take care to ensure nothing is being pirated - and carefully virus check before installing.

Cheers
jimbo
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Apr 2014   #10
Microsoft MVP

Windows 7 Ultimate X64 SP1
 
 

Right, all I found through Google is either a scam to get a fee from you or a site that loads your machine with malware.
Have a read here: Where Can I Download Windows XP?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Need to get Windows XP...




Thread Tools



Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 AM.
Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App
  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33