Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Best method/tool for cloning a failing HDD for Data Recovery?

23 Sep 2015   #51
sdowney717

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nkaufman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
How did you run ddrescue?
Did you just get booted to a command prompt?
If you boot up a liveusb of linux OS like ubuntu, then you can plug the flash drive in and with file manager view the files on the flash drive.
Ran ddrescue (via flash drive) based on jumanji's instruction in an earlier post in this thread.

So do I need to boot using the flash drive and come to Unix prompt? If so, then what commands do I enter? (afraid I have minimal Unix skills)

Thanks,
Perhaps the easiest way to view linux file system from windows for you is to install linux reader.
Access to Ext 2/3/4, HFS and ReiserFS from Windows

You can then view the files, except I don't know if you can open them to view the inside of a log file. Perhaps it will let you copy the file into windows partition, then you can open it.

Otherwise do this
How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

Then reboot from the USB drive. put the other usb stick in the PC, open file manager and you have a gui to read the contents of a log file. You would click on the log file and it would open in gedit.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
23 Sep 2015   #52
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Congrats @nkaufman for bringing in yet another success story.

sdowney717 and nkaufman have the potential to research and find out how and where the log file is stored and also help those wanting to run ddrescue.. So I shall just sit back and relax. (easy way out for me. I am getting worn out and weary.)
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2015   #53
nkaufman

Win-7 Prof 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Perhaps the easiest way to view linux file system from windows for you is to install linux reader.
Access to Ext 2/3/4, HFS and ReiserFS from Windows

You can then view the files, except I don't know if you can open them to view the inside of a log file. Perhaps it will let you copy the file into windows partition, then you can open it.

Otherwise do this
How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

Then reboot from the USB drive. put the other usb stick in the PC, open file manager and you have a gui to read the contents of a log file. You would click on the log file and it would open in gedit.
Thanks. will try that.

If I can get to the log then I'll see if I can use (in Windows) the following to view the log
ddrescueview from Sourceforge

Seems to be a nice utility for Windows
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

23 Sep 2015   #54
nkaufman

Win-7 Prof 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
Congrats @nkaufman for bringing in yet another success story.

sdowney717 and nkaufman have the potential to research and find out how and where the log file is stored and also help those wanting to run ddrescue.. So I shall just sit back and relax. (easy way out for me. I am getting worn out and weary.)
All thanks to you.

In my opinion, we should have your steps in a sticky or in a wiki somewhere that would help people a lot. If I can get to the log file and view it in Windows then I can certainly add those steps.

Was wondering if you have any comments on post#38 in this thread about the 2 items that I mentioned in there.

Thanks,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
23 Sep 2015   #55
nkaufman

Win-7 Prof 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by nkaufman View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
Perhaps the easiest way to view linux file system from windows for you is to install linux reader.
Access to Ext 2/3/4, HFS and ReiserFS from Windows

You can then view the files, except I don't know if you can open them to view the inside of a log file. Perhaps it will let you copy the file into windows partition, then you can open it.

Otherwise do this
How to create a bootable USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu

Then reboot from the USB drive. put the other usb stick in the PC, open file manager and you have a gui to read the contents of a log file. You would click on the log file and it would open in gedit.
Thanks. will try that.

If I can get to the log then I'll see if I can use (in Windows) the following to view the log
ddrescueview from Sourceforge

Seems to be a nice utility for Windows
Very strange. Downloaded linux-reader and it does read linux files but i do not see recovery log anywhere. Where has it gone? Mystery?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2015   #56
nkaufman

Win-7 Prof 64bit
 
 

Jumanji - I was thinking that perhaps we have to use the syntax that Anshad was using to set up a folder on the flash drive to save recovery.log else it is gone when system is booted.

Can someone who's used ddrescue in the past please confirm this?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2015   #57
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

The first success story in using ddrescue came from dragonballz4. Check whether it gives any clue.

Check this post External hard disk unaccessible and the previous ones. He was trying to write the log file into his laptop partition.

Somewhere in one of the Linux forums I did see something mentioned. It said the log file is written into the Ramdrive and it is always preferable to run ddrescue in one stretch without rebooting your PC. Goes on to say if you indeed want to reboot the PC and continue ddrescue from where it stopped you should then write the logfile to a third drive or use persistence in the Linux distro (which copies the ram drive to your linux USB) before quitting so that when you start Linux next time it is copied back to the Ramdrive.

Now I don't know much about Linux/Commands and so I shall give it a pass.

In order to make everything easy for a Windows User, (who like me does not know much of Linux) to follow the simple method without trying to write the log file into a third drive. The only thing he needs to do is to let the ddrescue run uninterrupted. He can still stop and start using Ctrl+C but he should not reboot the PC leading to loss of the log file in the RAM.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2015   #58
theTechLord

Windows 7 Ultimate on my Primary Computer
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
I have been brooding over this subject "Which method/tool is best for cloning a failing HDD - including the system drive - for data recovery from the clone.

Has anyone tried cloning for this specific purpose and achieved any results?

I would be interested if they can share their experience or even air their views on the subject.
I suggest you to download IsoBuster instantly and take a Managed IBQ/IBP-Image!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2015   #59
jumanji

Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit
 
 

Hi theTechLord,

Welcome to this thread.

Can you please elaborate on how to use the Free version of ISOBuster to clone a failing Hard Disk?

Take the case of nkaufman here.. He has a failing System Disk on his laptop.

What should he do with ISObuster to clone this drive to the new drive? Will the free version do it?

A step by step procedure starting from the installation of ISObuster culminating in the successful cloning to a new drive will help the users. And that is our intention of discussing it here.. ( I am not the affected party. )
My System SpecsSystem Spec
24 Sep 2015   #60
nkaufman

Win-7 Prof 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jumanji View Post
The first success story in using ddrescue came from dragonballz4. Check whether it gives any clue.

Check this post External hard disk unaccessible and the previous ones. He was trying to write the log file into his laptop partition.

Somewhere in one of the Linux forums I did see something mentioned. It said the log file is written into the Ramdrive and it is always preferable to run ddrescue in one stretch without rebooting your PC. Goes on to say if you indeed want to reboot the PC and continue ddrescue from where it stopped you should then write the logfile to a third drive or use persistence in the Linux distro (which copies the ram drive to your linux USB) before quitting so that when you start Linux next time it is copied back to the Ramdrive.

Now I don't know much about Linux/Commands and so I shall give it a pass.

In order to make everything easy for a Windows User, (who like me does not know much of Linux) to follow the simple method without trying to write the log file into a third drive. The only thing he needs to do is to let the ddrescue run uninterrupted. He can still stop and start using Ctrl+C but he should not reboot the PC leading to loss of the log file in the RAM.
I did run ddrescue uninterrupted.

Also, looked at the post you mentioned and I see that dragonballz4 (like Anshad) mounted the folder to save the log. Perhaps if another user who's used ddrescue in the manner similar to mine can look at the flash drive and see if the log file is there.

What do you think?

Thanks,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Best method/tool for cloning a failing HDD for Data Recovery?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Imaging or cloning tool with best compression?
I really liked the Macrium tutorial here on Seven Forums but I would like to know what other software expert people use and know. I want to image (did it already in the past) the entire partition which have the operative system installed plus all software I need. The original partition will have...
Backup and Restore
Best Backup Method For 700GB Of Data
I have an external HD with 700GB of data. I would like to make a backup of the external, but copying the files would be very time consuming. Is there another method of backing up I can use that would be faster and just as reliable ?
Backup and Restore
Data recovery from failing hard drive
Hello, I have a failing hard drive but I can still access it when it is connected as an external USB drive (used to be the primary boot drive in a laptop) I want to copy as much of the data as possible from the "user" folder and sub folders. I select the folders I want to copy but the process...
General Discussion
advice wanted on cloning a failing(?) drive
Greetings! My drive has given me a blue screen for UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME about three times in the last month. I suspect that it might be getting ready to fail. I have gotten around the problem by using by Windows 7 repair option - it takes about 2 hours to run :( I'd like to install a new...
Backup and Restore
method and tool of protecting the security of user data residing in PC
Hi guys, Any idea about this. Method and tool of protecting the security of user data residing in PC and Laptops. 1.Pre boot encryption 2.Full Hard disk encryption 3.Data at rest encryption.
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App