Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How can I breath new life into my pc

26 May 2014   #11
dperecky

win7 64bit Ult. using: XP Mode, in English or Español, SUA, Bitlocker
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigboi972 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
The cpu is slowing things down, nothing you can do about that, did you max out the memory ?
when you say that you mean did is the pc at max capacity when it comes to the amount of memory it can hold. I dont know
Use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and go to the Performance tab to see if you are close to using all of your existing memory.

If you are, then go to
Control Panel | System to see how much RAM Memory is installed.

Then go to www.hp.com / www.dell.com... whatever and look at specifications for your specific computer - model number and/or other info... to find out how much more you can install for your specific computer.

You can buy it from the manufacturer's site... but it's usually cheaper to buy from egghead.com or similar.

HTH
God Bless...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 May 2014   #12
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Man if your getting rid of that laptop ill take it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #13
gregrocker

 

If this is the Core i7 with 6gb RAM in your Specs there is no reason that should not be lightning fast once you've done a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Use Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 English Official ISO download burned to DVD or flash stick using the tool in Step 2.

If still slow after following those reinstall steps then I'd check for overheating and test your hardware from the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.

Most likely you still have the HP bloatware which is the worst of all brands, throttling Win7 with a dozen useless duplicate utilities that interfere with better versions built into the OS.

You may be able to Clean Up Factory Bloatware to regain some of Win7's native perfect performance, but it will never be the real Win7 performance until you have done a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 May 2014   #14
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

If it was my Lappie all I would do is a Clean Install,
Optimize Windows 7 tutorial and add a SSD.
Those will not improve your cpu but will improve your overall speed of the computer without spending a lot of money. You will think you had a new Laptop.

A SSD compared to a 5400 rpm Hard Drive you are talking light year.

Then when you are done you can give it to Andrew and he will be a happy camper, big time.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #15
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dperecky View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigboi972 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
The cpu is slowing things down, nothing you can do about that, did you max out the memory ?
when you say that you mean did is the pc at max capacity when it comes to the amount of memory it can hold. I dont know
Use Ctrl/Alt/Delete and go to the Performance tab to see if you are close to using all of your existing memory.

If you are, then go to
Control Panel | System to see how much RAM Memory is installed.

Then go to www.hp.com / www.dell.com... whatever and look at specifications for your specific computer - model number and/or other info... to find out how much more you can install for your specific computer.

You can buy it from the manufacturer's site... but it's usually cheaper to buy from egghead.com or similar.

HTH
God Bless...
thank you very much
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #16
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Man if your getting rid of that laptop ill take it.
I dont mind giving it to you for like 50 bux or something
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #17
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
If this is the Core i7 with 6gb RAM in your Specs there is no reason that should not be lightning fast once you've done a perfect Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7

Use Win7 Home Premium x64 SP1 English Official ISO download burned to DVD or flash stick using the tool in Step 2.

If still slow after following those reinstall steps then I'd check for overheating and test your hardware from the Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7.

Most likely you still have the HP bloatware which is the worst of all brands, throttling Win7 with a dozen useless duplicate utilities that interfere with better versions built into the OS.

You may be able to Clean Up Factory Bloatware to regain some of Win7's native perfect performance, but it will never be the real Win7 performance until you have done a Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7.
the bad thing about this is that yes it should be lightning fast but its far from it im going to try to record a video of its behavior and post it on youtube. It is very slow and sluggish more than normal I have done many factory resets in the past and has not helped much I will do it again in a week and post my results assuming people will still look at this thread. Their is no bloatware on it I installed my own copy of windows 7 on it. Someone on this thread suggested that my processor speed may be slowing down everything what do you think. And you are correct I do have heating issues they have been their sense the first day I got the laptop. As I speak I have a desk fan that blows on it just to keep it cool. my little sister is actually asking me why its not as hot as usual. I have sprayed out the vents with compressed air. Here is an article from someone else who has had heating issues with the maschine sense they first bought it http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Noteboo...334600/page/11
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #18
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Layback Bear View Post
If it was my Lappie all I would do is a Clean Install,
Optimize Windows 7 tutorial and add a SSD.
Those will not improve your cpu but will improve your overall speed of the computer without spending a lot of money. You will think you had a new Laptop.

A SSD compared to a 5400 rpm Hard Drive you are talking light year.

Then when you are done you can give it to Andrew and he will be a happy camper, big time.
What advice to you have for getting an ssd. I dont know much about them besides they are really fast. How will I know if it is compatible with my laptop. and which stores do you recommend getting one. I ask cause I typically use amazon for everything
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #19
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I buy my computer parts locally.
The two brands of SSD's I use are Intel and Samsung. Their are other good brands but those are the ones I own and they work well.
I wouldn't get anything less than 120 gb.
I really don't know if a laptop is different. Never owned a laptop. I believe they are the same but lets wait for a laptop owner to verify.
There are many members here that do and could give advice on such a thing.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #20
Bertison

Windows 7/64 HPremium.
 
 

I have a much lower-spec Laptop than yours, also an HP, a 4 year old Pavilion Dv7, Dual Core AMD. I think you may have some problem that is affecting the performance, not connected with what appears to be a very good spec laptop. Last year I removed all the HP bloatware, as said in this Thread previously. I reinstalled Windows 7/64 and it now flies.

I think you may have to take a look at other issues, malware or overheating. Might be a silly question, but how do you use it? Laptops should not be called laptops IMHO, they are best used on a hard flat surface so that air can circulate under them. Have you tried taking a look underneath? Maybe the vents are blocked by dust, I strip ours every year and clean out the dust.

Just a few suggestions, I really think that laptop should be faster than you say it is.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How can I breath new life into my pc




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
IHS iSuppli: Don't Hold Your Breath Waiting for DDR4
http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u69/cat_hold_breath.jpg Read more at: Maximum PC | IHS iSuppli: Don't Hold Your Breath Waiting for DDR4
News
Your life.
Thought this was pretty fun :P. Here's mine. http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6351/mylifez.png (Current self is 17), (YES, I know I misspelled some shit :P). Here is template. http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/826/1289266958273.png
Chillout Room
Waiting for an Internet security fix? Don't hold your breath
More - Waiting for an Internet security fix? Don't hold your breath | Security Central - InfoWorld
News
Second Life?
I'm just curious: would there be interest to create a Second Life community for friends of SevenForums? I know this forum is already taking a lot of time for some of us, maybe a place to meet virtually would be too much. I suspect my wife would sue me for negligence ;) if I'm going to be even...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App