Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How can I breath new life into my pc

26 May 2014   #21
gregrocker

 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigboi972 View Post

What advice to you have for getting an ssd. I dont know much about them besides they are really fast. How will I know if it is compatible with my laptop. and which stores do you recommend getting one. I ask cause I typically use amazon for everything
Amazon is fine. Recently we saw first quality 120gb SSD at Tiger Direct for $49, also seeing 240gb for under $100 now. This is a great upgrade and better idea for doing the Clean Reinstall - Factory OEM Windows 7


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 May 2014   #22
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bertison View Post
I have a much lower-spec Laptop than yours, also an HP, a 4 year old Pavilion Dv7, Dual Core AMD. I think you may have some problem that is affecting the performance, not connected with what appears to be a very good spec laptop. Last year I removed all the HP bloatware, as said in this Thread previously. I reinstalled Windows 7/64 and it now flies.

I think you may have to take a look at other issues, malware or overheating. Might be a silly question, but how do you use it? Laptops should not be called laptops IMHO, they are best used on a hard flat surface so that air can circulate under them. Have you tried taking a look underneath? Maybe the vents are blocked by dust, I strip ours every year and clean out the dust.

Just a few suggestions, I really think that laptop should be faster than you say it is.
I could not agree more with what you are saying. I think it should be way faster than what it is. In a moment here I will try to record a video showing my issues with it. I may wait and do a clean install first my girlfriend is giving me her 1tb hard drive and I need to get all my stuff off of it . Now as far as how im using it I never have sat it on my lap it is very heavy so that would be very uncomfortable. I have an expandable battery pack attached to it which came from hp not 3rd party. It elevates the computer high off the flat surface its on so its heavily ventilated. As of now I have done malware search on my computer because I downloaded some on accident recently but I have been having these issues before that incident. I will do a virus scan here in a moment
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 May 2014   #23
andrew129260

Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bertison View Post
I have a much lower-spec Laptop than yours, also an HP, a 4 year old Pavilion Dv7, Dual Core AMD. I think you may have some problem that is affecting the performance, not connected with what appears to be a very good spec laptop. Last year I removed all the HP bloatware, as said in this Thread previously. I reinstalled Windows 7/64 and it now flies.

I think you may have to take a look at other issues, malware or overheating. Might be a silly question, but how do you use it? Laptops should not be called laptops IMHO, they are best used on a hard flat surface so that air can circulate under them. Have you tried taking a look underneath? Maybe the vents are blocked by dust, I strip ours every year and clean out the dust.

Just a few suggestions, I really think that laptop should be faster than you say it is.
I agree. Malware may be present.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 May 2014   #24
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by andrew129260 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bertison View Post
I have a much lower-spec Laptop than yours, also an HP, a 4 year old Pavilion Dv7, Dual Core AMD. I think you may have some problem that is affecting the performance, not connected with what appears to be a very good spec laptop. Last year I removed all the HP bloatware, as said in this Thread previously. I reinstalled Windows 7/64 and it now flies.

I think you may have to take a look at other issues, malware or overheating. Might be a silly question, but how do you use it? Laptops should not be called laptops IMHO, they are best used on a hard flat surface so that air can circulate under them. Have you tried taking a look underneath? Maybe the vents are blocked by dust, I strip ours every year and clean out the dust.

Just a few suggestions, I really think that laptop should be faster than you say it is.
I agree. Malware may be present.

I scanned my pc with malware bytes is that the correct piece of software to scan for malware
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2014   #25
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

As of today I have done a clean install and I am still having the same issues.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2014   #26
gregrocker

 

Same hard drive? Test it and all hardware from Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 .

You can install CrystalDiskInfo - Software info to read the hardware status, copy and report back.

Then Test RAM with Memtest86+ for 7 passes or overnight to stress it. How much RAM is detected at Control Panel>System?

What have you done to check for overheating? Install Core Temp to monitor temps in system tray.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2014   #27
dperecky

win7 64bit Ult. using: XP Mode, in English or Español, SUA, Bitlocker
 
 

Just wondering what's the story with the computer RAM front?

RAM is pretty inexpensive these days.... at least compared to what it used to be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2014   #28
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Max out the ram, install an 120GB SSD, clean install windows, it`ll be the best it can be.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2014   #29
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by dperecky View Post
Just wondering what's the story with the computer RAM front?

RAM is pretty inexpensive these days.... at least compared to what it used to be.

what do you mean by computer ram front ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 May 2014   #30
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Same hard drive? Test it and all hardware from Troubleshooting Steps for Windows 7 .

You can install CrystalDiskInfo - Software info to read the hardware status, copy and report back.

Then Test RAM with Memtest86+ for 7 passes or overnight to stress it. How much RAM is detected at Control Panel>System?

What have you done to check for overheating? Install Core Temp to monitor temps in system tray.
I will get started on this tomorrow thanks everyone for your assistance
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How can I breath new life into my pc




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
IHS iSuppli: Don't Hold Your Breath Waiting for DDR4
http://www.maximumpc.com/files/u69/cat_hold_breath.jpg Read more at: Maximum PC | IHS iSuppli: Don't Hold Your Breath Waiting for DDR4
News
Your life.
Thought this was pretty fun :P. Here's mine. http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6351/mylifez.png (Current self is 17), (YES, I know I misspelled some shit :P). Here is template. http://img510.imageshack.us/img510/826/1289266958273.png
Chillout Room
Waiting for an Internet security fix? Don't hold your breath
More - Waiting for an Internet security fix? Don't hold your breath | Security Central - InfoWorld
News
Second Life?
I'm just curious: would there be interest to create a Second Life community for friends of SevenForums? I know this forum is already taking a lot of time for some of us, maybe a place to meet virtually would be too much. I suspect my wife would sue me for negligence ;) if I'm going to be even...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:31.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App