Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Action Center missing from Control Panel

31 May 2014   #1
gravis

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 
Action Center missing from Control Panel

Hey guys!
I have Win 7 Home Premium, 64 bit on a HP 630 laptop. I cannot find Action Center where it should be, and if I try to add the icon to the system tray, it is grey and cannot change it from turned off. I have NOD32 installed, with regular virus checks and the laptop is working properly, so I would say that it is not a virus.
Thanks for the help in advance!


(I need Action Center to be able to install HP Support Assistant, as my battery seems to be faulty. It randomly turns off under 20%, so if someone has some kind of solution for this problem too, that would be great!)


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
31 May 2014   #2
Brink

64-bit Windows 10 Pro
 
 

Hello Gravis, and welcome to Seven Forums.

Is Action Center just grayed out in your System Icons settings for the notification area, or is also missing in the Control Panel (icons view)?

For the system icon in your notification area, see if step 1 in OPTION TWO of the tutorial below may be able to enable it.

System Icons - Enable or Disable
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #3
gravis

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

It is missing from the Control Panel. I tried to access it through Category View > System and Security, but it is just not there. The first option is Firewall instead of Control Panel. But i can't find it in icons view either. I also tried to search for UAC from the start menu, but no result.
For the notifications area, I clicked the arrow pointing upwards > customize > turn system icons on or off, and here is where Control Center is completely greyed out, and cannot be changed from off to on.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

31 May 2014   #4
LuzTeTT

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Have you tried running control /name Microsoft.SecurityCenter from the command prompt?
Have you checked if the file still exists in the System32 folder?

Action Center Shortcut - Create
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #5
gravis

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Have you tried running control /name Microsoft.SecurityCenter from the command prompt?
Have you checked if the file still exists in the System32 folder?
Woah, sorry I don't really understand this. How do I run what you said? And what should i look for in System 32? I searched for 'control' in the System 32 folder, and this is the result.

EDIT: Haven't seen the link for the AC shortcut, checking it now! Thank you


Attached Thumbnails
Action Center missing from Control Panel-prtscrn01.png  
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #6
LuzTeTT

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gravis View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Have you tried running control /name Microsoft.SecurityCenter from the command prompt?
Have you checked if the file still exists in the System32 folder?
Woah, sorry I don't really understand this. How do I run what you said? And what should i look for in System 32? I searched for 'control' in the System 32 folder, and this is the result.
You can create a shortcut. My post was magically updated to contain the instructions for that.
Just to confirm that Windows is still capable of loading the control panel applet, you can open Command Prompt and type the following prior to pressing your enter/return key to launch it directly: control /name Microsoft.SecurityCenter

You could probably also hold down the Windows Key + R and type in the bold text above for the same result.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #7
gravis

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gravis View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Have you tried running control /name Microsoft.SecurityCenter from the command prompt?
Have you checked if the file still exists in the System32 folder?
Woah, sorry I don't really understand this. How do I run what you said? And what should i look for in System 32? I searched for 'control' in the System 32 folder, and this is the result.
You can create a shortcut. My post was magically updated to contain the instructions for that.
Just to confirm that Windows is still capable of loading the control panel applet, you can open Command Prompt and type the following prior to pressing your enter/return key to launch it directly: control /name Microsoft.SecurityCenter

You could probably also hold down the Windows Key + R and type in the bold text above for the same result.
Tried to create the shortcut, or run control /name Microsoft.SecurityCenter, but nothing happened. So this means, that the control panel applet cannot be loaded? What should I do now?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #8
LuzTeTT

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

Oh, dear.
You should confirm that the file is not missing.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32, or hold your Windows Key + R and type in C:\Windows\System32 prior to pressing your enter/return key.
If prompted about accessing protected files, allow and proceed without worry. You aren't modifying files or anything here so there is no risk involved.

In the top right hand corner where the search bar is locatd, type in wscui.cpl and hope for the best. If you get a result, then it is there. Double click it and, again, hope for the best. Report back with your result.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #9
gravis

Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LuzTeTT View Post
Oh, dear.
You should confirm that the file is not missing.

In Windows Explorer, navigate to C:\Windows\System32, or hold your Windows Key + R and type in C:\Windows\System32 prior to pressing your enter/return key.
If prompted about accessing protected files, allow and proceed without worry. You aren't modifying files or anything here so there is no risk involved.

In the top right hand corner where the search bar is locatd, type in wscui.cpl and hope for the best. If you get a result, then it is there. Double click it and, again, hope for the best. Report back with your result.
No result for wscui.cpl, seems like it is not there.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 May 2014   #10
LuzTeTT

Windows 8 Pro x64
 
 

I thought as much. There are quite a few ways to place the file back in there where it belongs. This list is sorted by risk of infection/susceptibility of damage, from worst to best. Choose one or none.
  • Download the file from a third-party website.
  • Copy it from a friend's or neighboring computer's System32 directory on to a USB stick or similar, and then copy it on to your computer and in to the System32 directory.
  • Locate the file on your Windows 7 installation medium. It will need to be extracted using Microsoft's own proprietary command line compression interface. I'm too tired to explain how, but there are articles on Seven Forums explaining how to do this. You can then place a fresh copy of the file on your PC in the System32 directory.
  • Download third-party software to do a deep search on your computer's storage, whether that is a HDD or otherwise, and see if the file is still there in all of its bits and bytes to be restored on to another partition and then you may move it back to where it belongs.
  • Check the Recycle Bin to see if it is there and then restore it by right clicking on it and choosing accordingly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Action Center missing from Control Panel




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Constant USB control driver message in action center /screenshots
I can't figure out why i keep getting this message as my driver is already installed. I have tried reinstalling and get the same message , it does look like it's an old driver (2006) but it's the latest on the Asus website. Thanks for any assistance Laptop model U56e win 7 64 bit SP1
Drivers
Action center telling me install USB control driver but already instal
Don't know why i am getting this message but there are no drivers to install , all shows everything is OK . Baffled, any ideas
Drivers
(Action center) Install your USB control driver but it is installed.
Hi everyone, I keep getting a message (see screenshot) about a control driver but I have the latest and device manager says I have the latest as well . It's a Asmedia control driver , I even downloaded a program called "Hardware Identify " one of Tweaking.coms new programs and it says all...
Drivers
Bluetooth is missing from control panel
I just reinstalled windows 7 on my laptop and I cant get my bluetooth mouse to work with it anymore. The mouse came with the laptop but when I go to Control Panel - Add a Device it doesnt find it. There used to be Add a Bluetooth Device in Control Panel but it isnt there anymore. Please help!
Drivers
Missing Link in Control Panel
I went into control panel then hardware&sound then power management. Now on the left sidebar where the options are, there is a missing link that Easy Transfer moved from my old computer but the file it links to is not there. I just got a toshiba notebook and the invalid option says @C:\Program...
General Discussion
Missing control panel
I have a missing control panel. Not there. Did search and no control panel. Suddenly I have no internet via hard wire or wireless in home or office. I get a not connected message. This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. I purchased from Dell 10/10......
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 17:24.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App