Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: about:blank Google Chrome Redirect?

08 Jun 2014   #1
Darkstrike

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 
about:blank Google Chrome Redirect?

Hey all,

I've got a laptop and every time I try to load anything in Google Chrome, it gets redirected to an "about:blank" page with nothing on it. I know it's malware, but malware scans with Malwarebytes apparently haven't removed it. There's an extension in Chrome that I know is causing the problem called "1_0" but every time I uninstall it, it immediately comes back once I restart Chrome or the computer....?

Any help would be appreciated!


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
08 Jun 2014   #2
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Hi,
Post the scan results,
Review Jacee’s instructions to run Adwcleaner here post #7,
Ignore the title of the thread,
Instant Savings App
Screen shot of the download button to use for Adwcleaner
You can use these free tools to see if they find anything,
Manually Update them before running full scans,
Try not to use your computer while the scans are running, (one at a time of course).
Uncheck the box to Activate the Free trial from the final install options,
http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free
http://www.superantispyware.com/?tag=SUPERANTISPYWARE
This one is the longest up to 4 hours, the others are only about 45 minutes,
http://www.microsoft.com/security/scanner/en-us/default.aspx
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #3
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darkstrike View Post
Hey all,

I've got a laptop and every time I try to load anything in Google Chrome, it gets redirected to an "about:blank" page with nothing on it. I know it's malware, but malware scans with Malwarebytes apparently haven't removed it. There's an extension in Chrome that I know is causing the problem called "1_0" but every time I uninstall it, it immediately comes back once I restart Chrome or the computer....?

Any help would be appreciated!
Herd Project should be able to help;

Download herdProtect - Free Anti-Malware Platform

The following is the analysis page for "1_0.exe";

Malware scan of 1_0.exe e302cdb08bd6aa927201aa21aec162610c0eac3e - herdProtect
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

08 Jun 2014   #4
Darkstrike

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

Herd Project should be able to help;

Download herdProtect - Free Anti-Malware Platform


The following is the analysis page for "1_0.exe";

Malware scan of 1_0.exe e302cdb08bd6aa927201aa21aec162610c0eac3e - herdProtect
Sorry, I had that wrong...it's a Chrome Extension simply labelled as "1". If I find the extension's folder in Chrome's folder in AppData, it's in a FOLDER labelled "1_0".

I had already tried an ADWCleaner scan in Safe Mode and in normal boot, both as Administrator and ran a cleaning before posting here, so my report looks completely empty (no point in posting it) and the issue is still unresolved.

Will try SuperAntiSpyware and Msert and report back.

EDIT - Should I be running these in Safe Mode?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #5
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darkstrike View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

Herd Project should be able to help;

Download herdProtect - Free Anti-Malware Platform


The following is the analysis page for "1_0.exe";

Malware scan of 1_0.exe e302cdb08bd6aa927201aa21aec162610c0eac3e - herdProtect
Sorry, I had that wrong...it's a Chrome Extension simply labelled as "1". If I find the extension's folder in Chrome's folder in AppData, it's in a FOLDER labelled "1_0".

I had already tried an ADWCleaner scan in Safe Mode and in normal boot, both as Administrator and ran a cleaning before posting here, so my report looks completely empty (no point in posting it) and the issue is still unresolved.

Will try SuperAntiSpyware and Msert and report back.

EDIT - Should I be running these in Safe Mode?
I suggest you try herdProject, it can't hurt.

"herdProtect Anti-Malware Scanner is a fast and free Windows desktop program which detects malicious threats, spyware and adware by utilizing 68 industry anti-malware scanners."
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #6
Darkstrike

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

First scan of HerdProject found 5 unrelated things, says to run a second scan in an hour and 15 mins...?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #7
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darkstrike View Post
First scan of HerdProject found 5 unrelated things, says to run a second scan in an hour and 15 mins...?
I am not sure what you mean; ie, is the message stating "Wait for an hour and 15 minutes" or "The scan will take an hour and 15 minutes"? Either way, I would follow the instructions.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #8
Darkstrike

Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit
 
 

I ran and completed the first scan. It now says to run a second scan an hour and 15 minutes from now.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
08 Jun 2014   #9
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Darkstrike View Post
I ran and completed the first scan. It now says to run a second scan an hour and 15 minutes from now.
Thanks for the clarification. As I said, I would run the 2nd scan to complete the process.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 about:blank Google Chrome Redirect?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Blank .exe icon in Google Chrome & Internet Download Manager.
All of the icon of application (.exe) files suddenly become blank , before this problem occured the .exe icons show properly like Nvidia will show Nvidia icon & Norton will show Norton icon. But now , it's all blank icons ! Take a look at the screenshots . Google Chrome Internet...
General Discussion
removed google redirect, how to be sure
I believe I had a redirect virus. Clicking on links in google brought me to an unrelated page. I removed it using Malwarebytes and MSE. Are there any other programs I should run to be sure?
System Security
Google Redirect Virus Keeps Returning
Hey guys!! I'm back!! Well my sister has a netbook. Right now it has the google redirect virus. After removing it came back again. I have searched and searched but I am unable to permanently remove it. So how can I remove it permanently? Thanks again!! You guys rock!!
System Security
Google Redirect Virus: Need Assistance
Hey guys, After successfully "removing" the Google redirect virus from my computer twice in the past, it has made its way back into my system stronger than ever. I've tried almost every method (for a non-advanced computer user)--checking the hosts file, Kaspersky TDSSKiller, FixTDSS, Hitman Pro...
System Security
HELP!! Google redirect Virus
A few weeks ago I got a virus and my computer got fixed. Since then it seems that I have the Google redirect Virus but when I try to do the fix I found online I can't find the file. Furthermore when I downloaded a new software that would find the Google Redirect Virus and get rid of it it kept...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App