Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Win8 upgrade experience

15 Jun 2014   #11
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Seems like another silly question but how do you get it to your flash media drag it to the device ?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jun 2014   #12
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

I can't remember off the top of my head exactly how it works, but that tool will let you select the ISO from wherever you saved it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2014   #13
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
.....
The Start screen does nothing for me whatsoever, I don't really do apps so I have no need to go there. I bought a copy of Office 2013 for 9 through the HUP and installed that, so my Outlook account is tied into that while my ISP email account is in Office 2010 on Windows 7. It's a bit like a Jekyll & Hyde install, I can boot where I want depending on what mood I'm in.
.....
enquiring minds want to know.
That's the thing tough isn't it. It's a mindset.

Think of Start as the Start menu - forget about apps and whatnot. Right click to remove what you don't want to see - or uninstall the buggers.

Perhaps more to the point - think of Start as pin to start menu (that little area above all programs on the start menu in Win7). Win8 just gives you a really big canvas to place all of your favorite programs (almost said apps - oops). I suppose most people just let the start menu get populated when a pgm is used. I turned that (recent pgms) off in Win7 and put what I wanted there in the order I waned them to appear (yeah, I know..... I'm ....)

I think once people see Start as the start menu, it will become more useful to them - 8.1 added search, power and user switching there (bugged me that 8 didn't have it prominently on view).

edit: If you look at my screen shot, you'll see mostly familiar pgms, only a few apps that I want to experiment with to know what they offer.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jun 2014   #14
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

Okay it came up with the option to transfer to the flash drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2014   #15
Slartybart

x64 (6.3.9600) Win8.1 Pro & soon dual boot x64 (6.1.7601) Win7_SP1 HomePrem
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Seems like another silly question but how do you get it to your flash media drag it to the device ?
You'll select DVD or USB and it does the work. I put it on DVD, Gavin put it on USB.

edit: never fails, I type too slow! I see you found the answer. Cool.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2014   #16
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

LOL yea Bill you can keep that metro screen buddy
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2014   #17
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Slartybart View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Boozad View Post
.....
The Start screen does nothing for me whatsoever, I don't really do apps so I have no need to go there. I bought a copy of Office 2013 for 9 through the HUP and installed that, so my Outlook account is tied into that while my ISP email account is in Office 2010 on Windows 7. It's a bit like a Jekyll & Hyde install, I can boot where I want depending on what mood I'm in.
.....
enquiring minds want to know.
That's the thing tough isn't it. It's a mindset.

Think of Start as the Start menu - forget about apps and whatnot. Right click to remove what you don't want to see - or uninstall the buggers.

Perhaps more to the point - think of Start as pin to start menu (that little area above all programs on the start menu in Win7). Win8 just gives you a really big canvas to place all of your favorite programs (almost said apps - oops). I suppose most people just let the start menu get populated when a pgm is used. I turned that (recent pgms) off in Win7 and put what I wanted there in the order I waned them to appear (yeah, I know..... I'm ....)

I think once people see Start as the start menu, it will become more useful to them - 8.1 added search, power and user switching there (bugged me that 8 didn't have it prominently on view).

edit: If you look at my screen shot, you'll see mostly familiar pgms, only a few apps that I want to experiment with to know what they offer.

I get what you mean, I just use Start8 to have the standard Start menu. I do launch a fair few programs from there, and sometimes I don't want to minimize Firefox, switch to Metro to launch the program then switch back again after taking a screenshot or using the Snipping Tool. To me it's more of an inconvenience to be honest.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2014   #18
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Okay it came up with the option to transfer to the flash drive
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2014   #19
ThrashZone

Win-7-Pro64bit 7-H-Prem-64bit
 
 

I believe the partition was also listed not sure if I should of selected it instead ?

Start8 is that the not freebie Gav ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jun 2014   #20
Boozad

W7 Pro x64 SP1 | W10 Pro IP x64 | W8.1 Pro x64 VM | Linux Mint VM
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by ThrashZone View Post
Start8 is that the not freebie Gav ?
Yeah it's about 3.50. Or $4.99 in Monopoly money.

Well worth it though.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Win8 upgrade experience




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Win7 oem license good if Win8 upgrade from XP install?
Think this is ok, but read what is probably scare tripe that MS was documenting Win8 upgrade machine info with Win8 upgrade and killing licenses for old o/s on that machine. Have an older machine prebuilt with Win7 Home that I upgraded to Pro with Anytime. Saved image. Friend was having XP...
Installation & Setup
Question Win8/ upgrade to 8.1
Hello again Forum,(disregard due to wrong forum sorry) :( Just a quick question. Is MS still offering the free upgrade to 8.1 or is not available anymore. Sixwheeler
General Discussion
Upgrade Win7 Pro 32bit to 64bit or go to Win8?
I have an aging system (2008) Win7 Pro 32bit. I would like to upgrade to 64bit in order to be able to use more ram, and other benefits. Trying to decide whether to go to Win8 or Win7 Pro 64bit. I have some favorite programs that run on the 32bit system and may not run on 64bit. As I understand...
Installation & Setup
upgrade win7 to win8?
can win7 starter be upgraded to win8?
Installation & Setup
Upgrade from win7x86 to win8 !!
hello everyone, I was using Win 7 Ultimate 32 bit on Dell N5010..Today i installed win 8 (upgraded ver. of win 7 x86). Everything went fine. At the final moments when it read " Applying xtreme core 2 system), i accidently pressed the esc key...The comp restarted ..Now when it boots it reaches...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:50.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App