Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 shuts down randomly?

29 Oct 2009   #1
wishb0n3

windows 7
 
 
Windows 7 shuts down randomly?

Not sure why its doing this. Just installed a clean version of windows 7 from vista. Left it on all night last night cause was dling something to wake up with my computer off. Then later today had it on, has been working fine and then went out to eat and it was off again. Does it shut off after being idle ? is that a new feature or is something wrong?t hanks


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

29 Oct 2009   #2
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Have you checked your power settings?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #3
wishb0n3

windows 7
 
 

no, where and what should it be set to?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.


29 Oct 2009   #4
wishb0n3

windows 7
 
 

Power plan is set to Balanced

Turn off display 10 min

Sleep is 30 min

When i press the power button it shuts down.

Still dont get why it shuts all the way down. ANy ideas?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #5
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wishb0n3 View Post
Power plan is set to Balanced

Turn off display 10 min

Sleep is 30 min

When i press the power button it shuts down.

Still dont get why it shuts all the way down. ANy ideas?
Hmm..

So your keyboard will not "wake" your pc?

What happens when you press the power button,does it start from the beginning?

How old is your computer?

And could you fill in your system specs
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #6
wishb0n3

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wishb0n3 View Post
Power plan is set to Balanced

Turn off display 10 min

Sleep is 30 min

When i press the power button it shuts down.

Still dont get why it shuts all the way down. ANy ideas?
Hmm..

So your keyboard will not "wake" your pc?

What happens when you press the power button,does it start from the beginning?

How old is your computer?

And could you fill in your system specs
Keyboard or mouse dont wake it because its OFF. Like its not running anymore its not asleep. Computer is a couple years old here are my specs.

( when i turn it back on all my firefox broswer links pop back up that i had open and other folders etc.. )

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit (6.1 build 7600)
Hp Pavillion 061
System Model : RC647AA-ABA m7680n
Bios: Phenoix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Intel(R) Core (TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz ( 2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory : 2048MB RAM
DirectX 11

Thanks for replys
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #7
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wishb0n3 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by wishb0n3 View Post
Power plan is set to Balanced

Turn off display 10 min

Sleep is 30 min

When i press the power button it shuts down.

Still dont get why it shuts all the way down. ANy ideas?
Hmm..

So your keyboard will not "wake" your pc?

What happens when you press the power button,does it start from the beginning?

How old is your computer?

And could you fill in your system specs
Keyboard or mouse dont wake it because its OFF. Like its not running anymore its not asleep. Computer is a couple years old here are my specs.

( when i turn it back on all my firefox broswer links pop back up that i had open and other folders etc.. )

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit (6.1 build 7600)
Hp Pavillion 061
System Model : RC647AA-ABA m7680n
Bios: Phenoix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Intel(R) Core (TM)2 CPU 6400 @ 2.13GHz ( 2 CPUs), ~2.1GHz
Memory : 2048MB RAM
DirectX 11

Thanks for replys
It seems unlikely as you didnt have the problem with your old OS but with my old pc there was a LOAD of dust inside the case,this was causing it to overheat and eventually shutdown.

If you open the side and have clean it out,i would recomend a low powered hover so you dont scratch anything.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #8
joel406

Windows 7 Ultimate x64/x86 Windows 7 Pro x64/x86 Windows 7 Home Premium x64/x86
 
 

It's going to sleep. Thay don't know about the power options in the control panel and havent changed anything so it's just going to sleep.

Pushing the poser button wakes it up and they are right where they left off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #9
Minotar

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joel406 View Post
It's going to sleep. Thay don't know about the power options in the control panel and havent changed anything so it's just going to sleep.

Pushing the poser button wakes it up and they are right where they left off.
Well then if the keyboard wont wake the pc maybe the selection to wake it is off via keyboard.

Go to control panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager>Keyboard>RT Click for Properties>Power Management>Click the Allow Device to Wake Computer if not selected/
My System SpecsSystem Spec
29 Oct 2009   #10
wishb0n3

windows 7
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Minotar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by joel406 View Post
It's going to sleep. Thay don't know about the power options in the control panel and havent changed anything so it's just going to sleep.

Pushing the poser button wakes it up and they are right where they left off.
Well then if the keyboard wont wake the pc maybe the selection to wake it is off via keyboard.

Go to control panel>Hardware and Sound>Device Manager>Keyboard>RT Click for Properties>Power Management>Click the Allow Device to Wake Computer if not selected/
its checked already. When it would sleep on vista i would just move the mouse or touch the keyboard to getit back on. Now the whole computer is off.. ( no lights on or nothing ). Tried moving mouse hitting keyboard and no response then i turn it on and it boots up like turning on my computer. ANy other ideas? thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 shuts down randomly?




Thread Tools





Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Windows Aero randomly shuts off, and GPU temperatures elevate
I hope I'm just being paranoid and everything is fine but... A few days ago, I had an incident of "Display driver has stopped responding and successfully recovered" for the first time in more than a year, and I freaked out thinking my graphics card was starting to fail. I discovered then...
Graphic Cards
old windows xp computer randomly shuts down
im not sure what it is, it has never gone 10 minutes without shutingdown, new hdd and re-installed windows xp home edition sp2 32 bit. please help! intel celeron e1200 @ 1.60ghz conroe 65nm technology 1.00gb ddr2 foxconn 45gm
General Discussion
10 month old Windows 7 (64 bit) PC shuts down randomly..
Hi All.. Feels good to be back on this forum after 2 long years ! (Did not forget to edit the system config though... :) ) Had purchased my dream config last September which has been perfect until last month :( The PC happens to be shutting down on its own and worse thing that frightens me is...
BSOD Help and Support
PC randomly shuts off and randomly boots up after (sometimes).
Hi there, I am here in bad need of help to figure out what is going on with my pc of late. A quick run down of the problem. When the PC is on it will depending on how long its been on will randomy just shut off. When it shuts off, it "sometimes" reboots but most often it "tries" to reboot but...
Hardware & Devices
New computer shuts off randomly -
I bought a new desktop in January. In March it started to just randomly turn off. Dell replaced all the hardward in April. In may it started turning off again. I don't have any viruses, I have plenty of memory and I am thinking the culprit must be the OS....so what now? How can I find out if...
BSOD Help and Support
Windows randomly shuts down
So I've got the Windows 7 Beta installed on my Pentium 4 and every so often it just randomly shuts down. Now I've heard about the 7 beta doing this, but as I understand it's not supposed to start doing this until March 2010. What's going on?
General Discussion

Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:05.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App