Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Infinite reboot loop after a BSoD and attempted windows updates

15 Jul 2014   #1
Sk8kidamh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 
Infinite reboot loop after a BSoD and attempted windows updates

A few days ago my computer blue screened with some sort of memory error. When I attempted to start it back up, it began installing windows updates that I had been putting off. After it looked like it had mostly finished, it got to a screen that said "preparing to configure windows. Do not restart your computer". After sitting on that screen for about thirty seconds the computer rebooted, and then went back to that screen. After about 20 minutes of this, I decided that it probably wasn't going to fix itself.

Things I've tried:
Booting into safe mode (when I attempt to boot into safe mode I end up in the same loop)
There's a tutorial on this site about repair the registry hives, I followed it but It had no effect
I found a tutorial on another site that suggested using the dism took to revert pending installations. This also had no effect
I used a windows 7 install disk and a repair disk and have had no luck with them.
The automatic start up repair tool lists error "system file integrity check. Code: 0xa" or something similar


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
15 Jul 2014   #2
Vuxy

 

Hello Sk8kidamh,

That issue certainly doesn't sound good.

Can you just clarify that you cannot log into your computer, but you can get into options, such as system restore, command prompt, start-up repair?

If so, please open System Recovery Options (What are the system recovery options in Windows? - Windows Help) and select Command Prompt. When in Command Prompt, please type sfc /scannow and select enter.

Hopefully we can resolve this issue.

Thank you,
VinnyBuxton
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #3
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sk8kidamh View Post
A few days ago my computer blue screened with some sort of memory error. When I attempted to start it back up, it began installing windows updates that I had been putting off. After it looked like it had mostly finished, it got to a screen that said "preparing to configure windows. Do not restart your computer". After sitting on that screen for about thirty seconds the computer rebooted, and then went back to that screen. After about 20 minutes of this, I decided that it probably wasn't going to fix itself.

Things I've tried:
Booting into safe mode (when I attempt to boot into safe mode I end up in the same loop)
There's a tutorial on this site about repair the registry hives, I followed it but It had no effect
I found a tutorial on another site that suggested using the dism took to revert pending installations. This also had no effect
I used a windows 7 install disk and a repair disk and have had no luck with them.
The automatic start up repair tool lists error "system file integrity check. Code: 0xa" or something similar
Why repair registry hives? why revert pending installations that way? I think you realy screwed the machine by doing that(?)

Can you still perform a system restore to date/time prior to problems began? If not... post error message.

Sorry to say but: "and have had no luck with them" is not very specific. How can I know what you did and what errors it gave. "Code: 0xa" or something similar" is not very specific either.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

15 Jul 2014   #4
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by VinnyBuxton View Post
Hello Sk8kidamh,

That issue certainly doesn't sound good.

Can you just clarify that you cannot log into your computer, but you can get into options, such as system restore, command prompt, start-up repair?

If so, please open System Recovery Options (What are the system recovery options in Windows? - Windows Help) and select Command Prompt. When in Command Prompt, please type sfc /scannow and select enter.

Hopefully we can resolve this issue.

Thank you,
VinnyBuxton
sfc /scannow in recovery environment will do a "system file check" of the recovery environment itself... not the win7 you want!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #5
Sk8kidamh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

I cannot even get to the login screen. I can access anything that can be accessed before a full windows boot.

It looks like the sfc/scannow command isn't going to work. I'm getting the error "there is a system repair pending. Please reboot and try again".

I tried rebooting and trying again, I rebooted and let the system cycle through its loop a few times, and I tried navigating the the recovery options through a windows repair disk, with no luck.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #6
Vuxy

 

Can you try opening Command Prompt again and type the following:
dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #7
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

windows repair disk->recovery options. Select your win7 install. Select "system restore". Go back in time prior to problems began. Successfully? If not... what error message?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #8
Sk8kidamh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sk8kidamh View Post
A few days ago my computer blue screened with some sort of memory error. When I attempted to start it back up, it began installing windows updates that I had been putting off. After it looked like it had mostly finished, it got to a screen that said "preparing to configure windows. Do not restart your computer". After sitting on that screen for about thirty seconds the computer rebooted, and then went back to that screen. After about 20 minutes of this, I decided that it probably wasn't going to fix itself.

Things I've tried:
Booting into safe mode (when I attempt to boot into safe mode I end up in the same loop)
There's a tutorial on this site about repair the registry hives, I followed it but It had no effect
I found a tutorial on another site that suggested using the dism took to revert pending installations. This also had no effect
I used a windows 7 install disk and a repair disk and have had no luck with them.
The automatic start up repair tool lists error "system file integrity check. Code: 0xa" or something similar
Why repair registry hives? why revert pending installations that way? I think you realy screwed the machine by doing that(?)

Can you still perform a system restore to date/time prior to problems began? If not... post error message.

Sorry to say but: "and have had no luck with them" is not very specific. How can I know what you did and what errors it gave. "Code: 0xa" or something similar" is not very specific either.
The registry hives are, as far as I can tell, exactly the same as they were before. There's a tutorial somewhere on this site about fixing similar infinite reboot loops by doing that. The recent pending changes appears to have had no effect, as the things that I reverted have all returned to pending. The first thing I thought about was doing a system restore, but for some reason I didn't have any restore points.

The exact error from startup repair is "unspecified action to system configuration might have caused the problem. Repair action: system files integrity check and repair. Result: failed. Error code=0xa" this is the same error as when I first ran start up repair immediately after I discovered the loop.

"I have had no luck" is a pretty clear way of saying nothing I have tried has worked or produced any noticeable change in what is happening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #9
Sk8kidamh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
windows repair disk->recovery options. Select your win7 install. Select "system restore". Go back in time prior to problems began. Successfully? If not... what error message?
"No restore points have been created on your system"

I swear I've seen and even used system restore points before, so I have no idea what happened here.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Jul 2014   #10
Sk8kidamh

Windows 7 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by VinnyBuxton View Post
Can you try opening Command Prompt again and type the following:
dism.exe /image:C:\ /cleanup-image /revertpendingactions
I have done this before, but I'll try it again.

After attempting the computer continued its looping with no noticeable changes.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Infinite reboot loop after a BSoD and attempted windows updates




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Infinite Reboot Loop (Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit)
Hey, I turned of my PC and went to bed, just woke up and it's stuck in a infinite reboot loop. Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, I don't want to format my PC though, as I have a FPS game I have been working on for about.. 7-8 months on there, and I still am, and if it gets formatted it's just a...
Performance & Maintenance
Infinite Reboot Loop! Please HELP!!
Hi guys. This is my first time here, so if I post in the wrong place or do something wrong, please just help me out I have a problem with my secondary computer. Whenever I turn it on it boots, shows the BIOS, then goes black for about a second, then shows the bios again. Infinite reboot loop. ...
General Discussion
Windows 7 Infinite Reboot Loop
So, Yesterday I was installing XP on one of partitions I made for it,because I had problems recording stereo tracks for studio on Windows 7( in my previous encounters like that,it worked on XP ).After installation of XP it would restart and just give Unable to load operating system and I couldn't...
General Discussion
Infinite Reboot Loop after POST
I don't know what disasterrific things my older sis did to my ever-pampered laptop, but when I came back home it won't boot at all. It goes to BIOS splash screen and to POST, reboots, then to BIOS splash screen again, in a continuous manner. Can't also boot into safe mode. Tried resetting...
General Discussion
Cannot get any windows version installed, infinite reboot loop?
I built my own custom PC through parts I ordered from newegg last week. Putting the computer together was surprisingly the easy part, while installing a windows OS has been ridiculous. I tried installing windows xp for a few days after running into 0x7b bsod errors, finally getting it to the point...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Infinite Updates (not boot loop)
First off, I'd like to apologize for not knowing exactly how to go about describing my issue, although I promise to do the best I can. I guess my first problem was forgetting to write down the day this issue started happening, because that would have helped me narrow down the problem, I'm sure....
Windows Updates & Activation


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:38.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App