Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Help - Explorer Window Closes ...

18 Aug 2014   #21
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
... If you mean this problem we are on then I don't understand.
Yes, the problem as per OP.
So as it stands now the only thing that happens is you get the error dialog? I'm lost. If Explorer windows are "restored" it sounds like they don't close so...


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
18 Aug 2014   #22
MourningStar

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
I'm lost. If Explorer windows are "restored" it sounds like they don't close so...
I seem to have confused you when I mentioned the mod I did regarding the explorer title-bar. I undid the mod and 'restored' the explorer windows to default display. I apologize for my presumption that the mod 'may' have had some effect to this issue. It turns out it did not and confused you in the process. All is still as per the OP at present.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #23
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

OK. Thanks for the clarification.

I would look for stuff here:
HKCR\Directory\background\shell\cmd

You could use ShellExView to disable one at a time to see if the error disappears. My feeling is that it's a shell background context menu command that's a runaway.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

18 Aug 2014   #24
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
Agree

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

I would look for stuff here:
HKCR\Directory\background\shell\cmd

You could use ShellExView to disable one at a time to see if the error disappears. My feeling is that it's a shell background context menu command that's a runaway.
I'd use ShellExView for x64: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows and check any non MS items. Also if you see any software in the list that you no longer use - unistall it. It wouldn't hurt to check for updates for anything else!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #25
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Callender View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
OK. Thanks for the clarification.

I would look for stuff here:
HKCR\Directory\background\shell\cmd

You could use ShellExView to disable one at a time to see if the error disappears. My feeling is that it's a shell background context menu command that's a runaway.
I'd use ShellExView for x64: ShellExView - Shell Extension Manager For Windows and check any non MS items. Also if you see any software in the list that you no longer use - unistall it. It wouldn't hurt to check for updates for anything else!
I think the first location should be the area of the folder blank spot right click since it's so touchy about the explorer background. There should only be about 1/2 dozen entries. If no joy then I'd branch out to the other handlers.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #26
Callender

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 
ShellExView

Go with MilesAhead's advice! I only got involved with this thread as I thought there was a good chance that I knew of the tweak that you'd made. I might pop back if I can think of anything useful!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #27
MourningStar

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

I am afraid that the techno-speak in the last 3 posts is above my pay-grade. I will need a step-by-step (in noob-speak with pics, animations, etc. ). I presume the first step is to d/l & install shellexview from that link?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #28
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
I am afraid that the techno-speak in the last 3 posts is above my pay-grade. I will need a step-by-step (in noob-speak with pics, animations, etc. ). I presume the first step is to d/l & install shellexview from that link?
Yes. Next step, press Winkey r and type
regedit

press control f
select all chech marks
paste HKCR\Directory\background\shell\cmd

for the search string.
See what programs are listed. You can try those first. It may save you going through all the context menu handlers. It may not. But it should be a very short list and therefore worth a try.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #29
MourningStar

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
... See what programs are listed. ... But it should be a very short list and therefore worth a try.
Nothing listed.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
18 Aug 2014   #30
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MourningStar View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
... See what programs are listed. ... But it should be a very short list and therefore worth a try.
Nothing listed.
I ran my W7 in VM and it showed the same as W8



Help - Explorer Window Closes ...-capture.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Help - Explorer Window Closes ...




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Internet Explorer opens and closes in 1s
My IE does not run at all. I have tried 3 times uninstalling and re-installing both from windows add on components and by downloading the setup file from microsoft file, however the problem persists. Also downloaded some ie fix tools (Repair Internet Explorer & one found here...
Browsers & Mail
Windows Explorer closes after copying/pasting files to USB/DVD
Hi All, I am currently using Win7 Pro SP1 32-Bit and am having an issue with the following: Windows Explorer immediately closes down after copying/pasting files to a USB Stick or a CD/DVD. If I have to copy multiple files to multiple folders, I have to re-open Windows Explorer and drill down...
General Discussion
Identifying window that closes as soon as it appears
For a couple of weeks, a mystery window has been appearing on my screen, and immediately closing again before I can identify it. I haven't been able to discern a pattern to it yet. I've scanned my computer with MS Security Essentials and MalwareBytes, and it's come up clean - doesn't look like...
General Discussion
Windows explorer closes whenever my display turns off
Hi, I just noticed this problem a few days ago. Whenever my display turns off, all my windows in explorer closes even when I am moving files. I don't really know how this happened but it is very annoying. Also, my windows explorer crashes like 5 times a day. It says that windows explorer is not...
General Discussion
Minimis just closes any window
When I click the minimise button on any type of window, instead of minimising to the task bar the window closes. It doesn't close like normal but ultra quick - it just vanishes and task manager shows no sign of it. Nothing to see in event manager. Edit: Just found that the window minimises to...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:55.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App