Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Right-Click Context Menu Slow

27 Jul 2014   #1
solrage

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 
Right-Click Context Menu Slow

Thread title says it all. Google search hasn't help. I've tried:

-Removing all non-Microsoft Context Menu Handlers
-Disconnecting from Network
-Updating Graphics Card
-Changing Mouse Batteries
-Removing all "Send To" options (including Network Drives)
-Checked Task Manager (plenty of memory, little CPU usage)

Right-clicking on ANYTHING takes 10-20 seconds for the menu to come up: this is so for folders and files, on my PC, external HD, network drives, and cloud drives. So probably an explorer problem?

The problem has gotten worse over time. It used to be almost instant, but then I started noticing it took maybe 5-6 seconds, then pretty soon it was 7-8, then 10-11, then 15-16, now I've had some that's 20. This is annoying as I use this feature a lot every day.

I haven't tried safe-mode start-up or restore point yet; any other ideas?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
27 Jul 2014   #2
Sir George

Windows 7 Professional x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by solrage View Post
Thread title says it all. Google search hasn't help. I've tried:

-Removing all non-Microsoft Context Menu Handlers
-Disconnecting from Network
-Updating Graphics Card
-Changing Mouse Batteries
-Removing all "Send To" options (including Network Drives)
-Checked Task Manager (plenty of memory, little CPU usage)

Right-clicking on ANYTHING takes 10-20 seconds for the menu to come up: this is so for folders and files, on my PC, external HD, network drives, and cloud drives. So probably an explorer problem?

The problem has gotten worse over time. It used to be almost instant, but then I started noticing it took maybe 5-6 seconds, then pretty soon it was 7-8, then 10-11, then 15-16, now I've had some that's 20. This is annoying as I use this feature a lot every day.

I haven't tried safe-mode start-up or restore point yet; any other ideas?
Maybe running SFC and check the results.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

HTH
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Jul 2014   #3
jgiels

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Had a similar problem with my daughters computer. It turned out to be a powered USB hub. The power supply to that hub had failed. So I would start by disconnecting all Peripherals. And see it something like that is happening.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

27 Jul 2014   #4
solrage

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Sir George View Post

Maybe running SFC and check the results.

SFC /SCANNOW Command - System File Checker

HTH
Forgot to mention I did run SFC and it returned no problems detected.

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by jgiels View Post
Had a similar problem with my daughters computer. It turned out to be a powered USB hub. The power supply to that hub had failed. So I would start by disconnecting all Peripherals. And see it something like that is happening.
Just tried it and no fix.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Right-Click Context Menu Slow




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Left click brings up right click context menu on desktop
For the last few weeks whenever I left click on the desktop it brings the right click menu. This dosen't happen in the browser (firefox), but only in the windows desktop and start menu. However i the browser if I am on a web player like youtube, the portion that displays the video fails to display...
General Discussion
Context Menu - Right Click vs Shift Right Click
How to Expand the Windows 7 Context Menu for More Options This will show you how to expand the Windows 7 context menu to see more available options to select from for a file, folder, desktop, Windows Explorer root window, Windows Explorer window, and the Send To menu. Here's How:
Tutorials
Unable to remove MagicISO context menu from right click menu in Win 7
Hey it's been a while since I've last been here, I really enjoy this Win 7 community hope everyone is doing well. Anyway let me cut to the chase, basically I want to be able to remove the MagicISO context menu from the right click context menu in Windows 7. See pics to understand what I'm...
Customization
Right Click Context Menu
Ok, I've got 2 machines both with Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit on them. One machine fresh out the box today. The other a few months, anyway. On both of them I install programs that I know add additional menus to to the right click context menu. Example WinRar would be one program, 7zip another,...
General Discussion
Right Click Context menu
When right clicking on a file, how do I remove items from this list? Thanks
Performance & Maintenance
MSE in right click context menu.
I just discovered this thread but could not repond to it because it is more than 110 days old. Nevertheless, the mystery remains. The interesting observation I made is that MSE is in the right click context menu of my 64bit Win7 but not in my 32bit Win7. I wonder why? - and how can I get it into...
System Security


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:26.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App