Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Laptop sleeps when lid closed, even with setting disabled.

30 Jul 2014   #1
green elephant

windows 7 home premium
 
 
Laptop sleeps when lid closed, even with setting disabled.

I think I made a thread about this a while back to no success. My laptop goes to sleep when I close the lid even with the lid settings modified. I don't want it to sleep. Idk what exactly to do.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
30 Jul 2014   #2
gregrocker

 

What is the setting in Power Options for what happens when you close the lid?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2014   #3
green elephant

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
What is the setting in Power Options for what happens when you close the lid?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

30 Jul 2014   #4
gregrocker

 

I'd check in BIOS setup to see if there are any settings there. Your laptop may have a default setting for this because of the risk of overheating if the lid is closed.

I personally prefer Hibernate for Closing Lid and Power Button as well as timing out after an hour on a/c power. This is because while I could get it to instantly start lifting the lid if I use sleep, it keeps power to the RAM during sleep which wears it. But Hibernate is perfected in Win7, writes whatever works is open to the hard drive and then powers off, although you get a much faster startup. Many, many users prefer this for these reasons.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2014   #5
green elephant

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
I'd check in BIOS setup to see if there are any settings there. Your laptop may have a default setting for this because of the risk of overheating if the lid is closed.

I personally prefer Hibernate for Closing Lid and Power Button as well as timing out after an hour on a/c power. This is because while I could get it to instantly start lifting the lid if I use sleep, it keeps power to the RAM during sleep which wears it. But Hibernate is perfected in Win7, writes whatever works is open to the hard drive and then powers off, although you get a much faster startup. Many, many users prefer this for these reasons.
the thing is my laptop used to not sleep like it should and now it is for some reason.
also i dont know if its sleeping or hibernating,idk the difference.
ALSO could u specify how to check the bios
My System SpecsSystem Spec
30 Jul 2014   #6
gregrocker

 

Look in your Power OPtions at your Power plan, then Advanced Settings under Sleep.

I suggest default settings but change Hibernate to 30 and 60.

You can also invoke Hibernate from the Start menu Shutdown button choices.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2014   #7
green elephant

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
Look in your Power OPtions at your Power plan, then Advanced Settings under Sleep.

I suggest default settings but change Hibernate to 30 and 60.

You can also invoke Hibernate from the Start menu Shutdown button choices.
This doesn't solve the issue? I have trouble following this but I got to the area I think you were talking about, looked and no luck to get it to stop,
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2014   #8
gregrocker

 

What are the settings? Can you provide a screenshot of Advanced Power options for your Power Plan?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2014   #9
green elephant

windows 7 home premium
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by gregrocker View Post
What are the settings? Can you provide a screenshot of Advanced Power options for your Power Plan?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
31 Jul 2014   #10
gregrocker

 

You don't have Hibernate enabled. Hibernate - Enable or Disable - Windows 7 Forums

What about the lid and power button settings?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Laptop sleeps when lid closed, even with setting disabled.




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
BSOD when laptop sleeps
Dell VOSTRO 1400 with 2G memory Each time I close the screen to put the laptop to sleep I have to turn it back on using the power button. Please see attached file.
BSOD Help and Support
Power up a laptop with the lid closed
I have a laptop, Sony Vaio, which have the power button on the right side, not over the keyboard like some other models. So I would like to turn on the laptop by pushing the power button anytime - even when the lid is closed. But this is not the case, I can only turn on the laptop when i open the...
General Discussion
BSOD when laptop hibernates or sleeps
Advise appreciated on diagnosing and fixing BSOD - see attached SF folder and windows report copied below. Thank you! Problem signature: Problem Event Name: BlueScreen OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3 Locale ID: 2057 Additional information about the problem: BCCode: 9f...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD when laptop lid is closed,
I've been getting the BSOD for a few days now, this happens only when the laptop lid is closed. I have set the option "choose what closing the lid does" to "do nothing". this is because i have the broadband ON and I'm usually downloading stuff. When i open the lid I see a box that says "windows...
BSOD Help and Support
Laptop Sleeps during huge update install...
I booted up my laptop this morning and found it was installing some huge Windows update i didn't know it was due to. There are something like 240,000 files to be updated but once it gets to just over 40,000 files updated the laptop goes into what i think is sleep mode (although it could be that...
Windows Updates & Activation
Dell Laptop no longer sleeps when lid is closed
This is similar to the issue in this thread. http://www.sevenforums.com/general-discussion/138751-laptop-doesnt-sleep-when-lid-closed.html I have a Dell laptop that always went to sleep reliably when I closed the lid. Now it does not. I am able to get the laptop to sleep with the Start -->...
Performance & Maintenance


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 19:01.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App