Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Pc only recognizes 8gb of 16 gb of ram

04 Aug 2014   #31
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigboi972 View Post
so basically there is no point in doing the update because it wont effect my ram considering my ram is not on the list of ram models that the bios update was tested on and its possible my ram is just incompatible with the motherboard itself instead of what I am assuming which is slot 2 on my motherboard being defective.
If the RAM were incompatible, none of it would work. You are getting 8 GB to work so the RAM seems OK. It seems to me that slot 2 is the problem. Give slot 2 a squirt of compressed air to see if any dirt is in the slot.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Aug 2014   #32
Mellon Head

Win 7 Pro x64/Win 10 Pro x64 dual boot
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigboi972 View Post
so basically there is no point in doing the update because it wont effect my ram considering my ram is not on the list of ram models that the bios update was tested on and its possible my ram is just incompatible with the motherboard itself instead of what I am assuming which is slot 2 on my motherboard being defective.
No, I didn't type right. I think your problem is with slot #2 being faulty, or dirty.

What I meant in my post is that the mobo may have issues running two of the sticks in the mobo at a time, though one runs just fine. That seems a little far fetched to me, so I suspect that your problem is the second slot.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2014   #33
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

What version of the BIOS do you have now ?

Did you ever connect the speaker?
There may be a beep code when slot 2 is used that could help identify a problem.

Is the motherboard still under warranty?
If it is and slot 2 is defective you may be able to get it repaired/replaced by the manufacturer?
If it's brand new you may be able to return/exchange it where you purchased it.

You could contact ASRock describing your problem.
They might tell you if updating your BIOS might fix your issue.

Can you "borrow" other DDR3 RAM to test in slot 2, preferably a 4GB stick ?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Aug 2014   #34
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
What version of the BIOS do you have now ?

Did you ever connect the speaker?
There may be a beep code when slot 2 is used that could help identify a problem.

Is the motherboard still under warranty?
If it is and slot 2 is defective you may be able to get it repaired/replaced by the manufacturer?
If it's brand new you may be able to return/exchange it where you purchased it.

You could contact ASRock describing your problem.
They might tell you if updating your BIOS might fix your issue.

Can you "borrow" other DDR3 RAM to test in slot 2, preferably a 4GB stick ?
no i did not connect the speaker I am going to do it right now. and will come back with my results it is under warranty I purchased it last week from amazon
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2014   #35
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

so when I plugged up the speaker and only used one motherboard ram slot which was slot 2 the pc beeped 3 times and paused for 1 second a repeated the three beep pattern
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2014   #36
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

I couldn't find beep codes for your specific motherboard, but I found these tables on the ASRock site.
The 1st table is for AMI UEFI BIOS.
The 2nd table is for AMI BIOS (Legacy).

Pc only recognizes 8gb of 16 gb of ram-asbsp01.png

Check what version of BIOS you have on the CPU-Z Mainboard tab, or use SPECCY.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Aug 2014   #37
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

ok the version number is p1.60 Pc only recognizes 8gb of 16 gb of ram-untitled.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2014   #38
DavidE

Multi-Boot W7_Pro_x64 W8.1_Pro_x64 W10_Pro_x64
 
 

It sounds like the MB RAM slot 2 is defective.
You can try blowing air in the slot to clean it, but with as many times as you've inserted and removed RAM in the slot it seems unlikely to me blowing air will fix it.
I would look into returning the motherboard for a replacement.
I wouldn't want a new MB with such a defect, but it's your choice.

fwiw, when I build a new PC I always update to the latest BIOS, if the latest is not already installed.
That way I get the latest updates/fixes for the BIOS, and if anything does go wrong I can return the MB.
If you are going to return the MB as defective, you could update the BIOS to the latest version.
That way you gain knowledge and experience updating BIOS, and if anything goes wrong, no big deal, you are returning it anyway.

Also, did you do a BIOS reset when you built the PC ?
You should always do a BIOS reset with a new MB.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2014   #39
bigboi972

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by DavidW7ncus View Post
It sounds like the MB RAM slot 2 is defective.
You can try blowing air in the slot to clean it, but with as many times as you've inserted and removed RAM in the slot it seems unlikely to me blowing air will fix it.
I would look into returning the motherboard for a replacement.
I wouldn't want a new MB with such a defect, but it's your choice.

fwiw, when I build a new PC I always update to the latest BIOS, if the latest is not already installed.
That way I get the latest updates/fixes for the BIOS, and if anything does go wrong I can return the MB.
If you are going to return the MB as defective, you could update the BIOS to the latest version.
That way you gain knowledge and experience updating BIOS, and if anything goes wrong, no big deal, you are returning it anyway.

Also, did you do a BIOS reset when you built the PC ?
You should always do a BIOS reset with a new MB.
I agree with you I am going to try and flash it just to gain knoiwledge of flashing also I will be buying a new motherboard and a new brand. Like they say you get what you pay for and I purchased a cheap board sense it was my first build and look what happened. Here is a link to my parts https://pcpartpicker.com/user/stephon972/saved/Y6M48d here is my case ULTRA Etorque™ H4 Mid-Tower ATX Gaming Case - USB 2.0/3.0, Up To 6 x SSD Trays, Top Hard Drive Dock and Fan Controller, Black - U12-42517 at TigerDirect.com Could you suggest a motherboard that will be compatible with what I have now?


I was thinking about these not sure if they are compatible

Amazon.com: Gigabyte H97 SATA Express M.2 SSD UEFI DualBIOS DDR3 1600 LGA 1150 Motherboard GA-H97-D3H: Computers & Accessories
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Aug 2014   #40
Layback Bear

Windows 7 Pro. 64/SP-1
 
 

I would not recommend G.Skill ram.
Kingston and Corsair has always worked the best for me.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Pc only recognizes 8gb of 16 gb of ram




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
PC not recognizes any USB pendrive
Hello mate here, I have such problem in the my job, one PC does not recognizes usb pendrives, i re-install windows, all .inf files are in system folder but when i connect usb pendrive computer does not recognizes, pop ups error from the right low side of monitor. what is a problem? please...
Hardware & Devices
Why a new installation recognizes my name?
Well i did a slow format to install windows 7 again in the same Hard Disk, the surprise is when after do a new clean installation, when it finish and let you write your user name and the name of your computer it says: Now write your username (for example: Juan) Juan was the name of my old...
Installation & Setup
Computer recognizes 8GB of ram, but only uses 30% of it?
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 Intel Q9550 ATI radeon 5770 P5QPL-AM ASUS motherboard OCZ 8GB (2x 4GB) Platinum series RAM. pc2-6400 DDR2, 240 pin, non ecc, unbuffered I have installed 8GB ram into my computer. Both my BIOS and system properties state I can use all 8GB of it. However- even when I put...
Hardware & Devices
Windows 7 x64 only recognizes 6 out of 8 gb ram
Here are my specs: ASUS P6T X58 ATX LGA1366 DDR3 3PCI-E16 PCI-E1 2PCI CrossFire SLI SATA2 GBLAN Motherboard Intel i7 930 ATI Radeon HD5770 850MHz 1GB GDDR5 4.8GHz Western Digital Caviar Blue SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Corsair TX750W 750W Corsair CMP8GX3M4A1600C8 Dominator 8GB 4X2GB...
Hardware & Devices
Win 7 recognizes 8GBs of RAM
Well, my RC finally expired yesterday and I was getting the dreaded pop-up to upgrade. A friend had gotten me a copy of RTM Ultimate but I had been procrastinating the installation of it. I was not able to upgrade from RC to RTM so I had to a clean install. Smooth install and extremely fast... I...
General Discussion
Fresh 7 Install. Recognizes 4Gb Ram, Using only 2Gb
Hello everyone, I'm new to this forum and had a question. I have read a thread on this site, but that was from back in August. I just installed 32bit Win 7, but have Ram issues. I have a Dell XPS 600, with 4Gb of ram installed. When I look into the properties of My Computer, it states:...
Hardware & Devices


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

© Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:15.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App