Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Windows 7 won't go online & won't download drivers after clean install

06 Aug 2014   #1
I WANT MY GIFS

windows 7 64
 
 
Windows 7 won't go online & won't download drivers after clean install

Hello, I plan to buy a used genuine copy of Windows 7 with the product key.

I thing is, I read this article about how I won't be able to go online with my modem after a new install:

The myth of driver backups | PCWorld


Basically when I do a fresh install of Windows 7, I will not be able to connect online to update my drivers for my ethernet & display & Windows will not recognize the drivers from a USB stick without an installer either!?

I will have to manually download them from the manufacturers site, but my PC is used & had a lot of off shelf upgrades, it isn't a HP/Dell/Acer PC to just get the driver installer from their website.

How would I know what to download & where?


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
06 Aug 2014   #2
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Yes, just download the drivers installer before reformatting and you'll be able to install those.

This tutorial helps in determining your exact hardware: Speccy - Advanced System Information Tool

Look at the model of the network card, motherboard, chipset, video card, wifi adapter, or any other thing you might have. Then with the manufacturers/models, just google those and download them from each individual website.

The HP/Dell/Ace/whatever brand is just a commercial name. They only take ready parts from the hardware manufacturers, assemble it, infect with crapware and relabel it before selling, but that's all. The drivers themselves will never come from them, directly.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2014   #3
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Is win7 on machine now? If not... what is on machine now?
In "device manager" you can expand branch "network adapters" and you see which network adpater you have. Right click on it and select properties. Then click tab "details". In combo-box select "hardware-ids". Of course rigth that stuff down and post it here.

You can do almost the same for "display adapter". is it ATI or NVIDIA... that's the only thing I want to know. They have kind of autodetect utility that installs the driver automagically.

Most important is to make the netwok work so you have connection with internet and can download. Run "windows update"->find updates a lot of times until all is installed. Check "device manager" afterwards and look for any exclamation marks and "other devices". Post results
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

06 Aug 2014   #4
I WANT MY GIFS

windows 7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Yes, just download the drivers installer before reformatting and you'll be able to install those.

This tutorial helps in determining your exact hardware: Speccy - Advanced System Information Tool

Look at the model of the network card, motherboard, chipset, video card, wifi adapter, or any other thing you might have. Then with the manufacturers/models, just google those and download them from each individual website.

The HP/Dell/Ace/whatever brand is just a commercial name. They only take ready parts from the hardware manufacturers, assemble it, infect with crapware and relabel it before selling, but that's all. The drivers themselves will never come from them, directly.
I used this handy download.

Is this what my network is?
adapters List
-Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
-Realtek RTL8192CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC #4


Am I supposed to get the installer for the drivers for them specifically?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2014   #5
Alejandro85

Windows 7 Ultimate x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I WANT MY GIFS View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Yes, just download the drivers installer before reformatting and you'll be able to install those.

This tutorial helps in determining your exact hardware: Speccy - Advanced System Information Tool

Look at the model of the network card, motherboard, chipset, video card, wifi adapter, or any other thing you might have. Then with the manufacturers/models, just google those and download them from each individual website.

The HP/Dell/Ace/whatever brand is just a commercial name. They only take ready parts from the hardware manufacturers, assemble it, infect with crapware and relabel it before selling, but that's all. The drivers themselves will never come from them, directly.
I used this handy download.

Is this what my network is?
adapters List
-Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
-Realtek RTL8192CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC #4


Am I supposed to get the installer for the drivers for them specifically?

Yes, those two are the network cards models that you need drivers for. On the Realtek site you should find those. For other hardware, just follow a similar procedure.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2014   #6
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Go to the manufactures website of your network drivers.

All that matters is who made the motherboard

Alej is 99% correct and most network adapters are Realtek or Intel.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2014   #7
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Yes, just download the drivers installer before reformatting and you'll be able to install those.

This tutorial helps in determining your exact hardware: Speccy - Advanced System Information Tool

Look at the model of the network card, motherboard, chipset, video card, wifi adapter, or any other thing you might have. Then with the manufacturers/models, just google those and download them from each individual website.

The HP/Dell/Ace/whatever brand is just a commercial name. They only take ready parts from the hardware manufacturers, assemble it, infect with crapware and relabel it before selling, but that's all. The drivers themselves will never come from them, directly.
Your very last statement is totally incorrect. Especially when using a branded name motherboard, such as Dell, HP etc.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2014   #8
Kaktussoft

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bits 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I WANT MY GIFS View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Yes, just download the drivers installer before reformatting and you'll be able to install those.

This tutorial helps in determining your exact hardware: Speccy - Advanced System Information Tool

Look at the model of the network card, motherboard, chipset, video card, wifi adapter, or any other thing you might have. Then with the manufacturers/models, just google those and download them from each individual website.

The HP/Dell/Ace/whatever brand is just a commercial name. They only take ready parts from the hardware manufacturers, assemble it, infect with crapware and relabel it before selling, but that's all. The drivers themselves will never come from them, directly.
I used this handy download.

Is this what my network is?
adapters List
-Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
-Realtek RTL8192CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC #4


Am I supposed to get the installer for the drivers for them specifically?

Yes, those two are the network cards models that you need drivers for. On the Realtek site you should find those. For other hardware, just follow a similar procedure.
Most realtek LAN adapters are supported by win7 out-of-the-box
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2014   #9
I WANT MY GIFS

windows 7 64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
Go to the manufactures website of your network drivers.

All that matters is who made the motherboard

Alej is 99% correct and most network adapters are Realtek or Intel.
My motherboard is a Gigabyte 970A-D3P.

Would I need to download the drivers for that as well to get online?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
06 Aug 2014   #10
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Kaktussoft View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Alejandro85 View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by I WANT MY GIFS View Post

I used this handy download.

Is this what my network is?
adapters List
-Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
-Realtek RTL8192CE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC #4


Am I supposed to get the installer for the drivers for them specifically?

Yes, those two are the network cards models that you need drivers for. On the Realtek site you should find those. For other hardware, just follow a similar procedure.
Most realtek LAN adapters are supported by win7 out-of-the-box
Most, not all

Install Windows 7 on a Dell
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Windows 7 won't go online & won't download drivers after clean install




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Possible to download W7 online on one PC - install on another?
I've got a working PC running W7. This OS was installed from a disk. Now I've put together another PC and I'd like to buy an online copy of Windows and install on this new PC. It's got no OS at the moment. Can I download the OS with the PC that already has an OS, burn an ISO of the OS to a...
Installation & Setup
Installing Drivers after clean install of Windows 7
I have downloaded my driver files and burned them to a cd. Now, is there any particular order I need to install them?
Drivers
Clean re-install of Windows 7 and motherboard drivers
Hi How do I perform a clean re-install of Windows 7 which would completely remove motherboard drivers on the system? This is my very first self-build and I have some system instability as some motherboard drivers failed to install correctly. For example, despite having installed an audio hd...
Installation & Setup
Windows 7 Clean Install Download site has changed! Why is that?
Hi, A while ago I've done a Win7 clean install following the instructions in: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/219487-clean-reinstall-factory-oem-windows-7-a.html#post1839164 Under point 1) there is the link from which one can download the Win7 ISO file, put it on a DVD/USB medium, and...
Installation & Setup
Clean install of Windows 7 and drivers
I have an HP laptop, and it will not boot up. Have tried safe mode, repair, everything. But no go. So right now I am reinstalling W7 from the original CDs. After I get that done, I have the drivers CD. So, my question is what is involved in doing that installation?
Windows Updates & Activation
installing drivers after clean install of windows 7
Hey guys, im new to these forums, so i dont know if im posting this in the right section, but anyways i want to do a clean install of my windows 7 home premium 64bit, i have a dell inspiron laptop, not sure what model number, but i think its a N117, or something like that, anyways i just got it...
Drivers


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 00:53.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App