Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Problem - Win7 64bit Context [Send to]

01 Jul 2015   #21
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

You didn't follow the directions. I specified to rename the folder shortcut Sond To SendTo

that is how it will appear in the SendTo Menu.

I've done this on the last 4 or 5 Windows OS and it works every time.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
01 Jul 2015   #22
tecknomage

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
You didn't follow the directions. I specified to rename the folder shortcut Sond To SendTo

that is how it will appear in the SendTo Menu.

I've done this on the last 4 or 5 Windows OS and it works every time.
Got it.

BUT it still did NOT work.

Essentially no shortcut works from my SendTo folder
My System SpecsSystem Spec
01 Jul 2015   #23
MilesAhead

Windows 7 32 bit
 
 

Ok, I am getting a better idea what you are saying. I don't think I've run into this one before. When you do shell:sendto it does open the correct folder? How old is your user account? I'm wondering if this is one of those cases where the user account is corrupt.

Unfortunately in Windows,if that is the case, it is usually faster to create a new account than to fix the old one. As an experiment it may be a good idea to create a new user account and put some stuff in the SendTo. See if it is normal or has the defaults same as this one?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

02 Jul 2015   #24
Pyprohly

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, OS X El Capitan
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tecknomage View Post
My current SendTo in screenshot:

Problem - Win7 64bit Context [Send to]-win7pro_sendto_folder.jpg
Windows has to be sourcing your context menu Send to list from somewhere. That somewhere, of yours, may be set to an incorrect location.

To prove or falsify my claim, Tecknomage, could you delete the Documents file that resides in your C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo folder. After doing so, does your Send to list, in your context menu, reflect the change? I.e. Does "Documents" show up as an item in your Send to afterwards?

If not then, evidently, Windows isn't looking in your C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo folder to create your Send to list, and may be an indication of a loose registry value.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2015   #25
UsernameIssues

W7 Pro SP1 64bit
 
 

Notice that "TeamViewer" is missing from the Send to context menu:

Problem - Win7 64bit Context [Send to]-sendto1.png


I then deleted "Documents" from this folder
C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo

Problem - Win7 64bit Context [Send to]-sendto2.png

The Send to context menu did change - as expected - i.e. "Documents" is no longer shown in the Send to context menu. That probably means that the context menu is being built from the folder that I think that it is coming from and yet "TeamViewer" is still missing from the Send to context menu (because of NTFS permissions).

Maybe Tecknomage should check to see that the Send to folder is set to inherit and propagate the correct NTFS permissions.

Problem - Win7 64bit Context [Send to]-sendto3.png


My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2015   #26
tecknomage

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by MilesAhead View Post
Ok, I am getting a better idea what you are saying. I don't think I've run into this one before. When you do shell:sendto it does open the correct folder? How old is your user account? I'm wondering if this is one of those cases where the user account is corrupt.

Unfortunately in Windows,if that is the case, it is usually faster to create a new account than to fix the old one. As an experiment it may be a good idea to create a new user account and put some stuff in the SendTo. See if it is normal or has the defaults same as this one?
This is a single-user (Administrator) Win7 Pro 64bit system, custom built, less than 2yrs ago.

Using [Search] "shell:sendto" DOES open the folder.

As for creating a test Account, did that and got the same results. SendTo will not display shortcuts in Context Menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2015   #27
Pyprohly

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, OS X El Capitan
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Maybe Tecknomage should check to see that the Send to folder is set to inherit and propagate the correct NTFS permissions.
Ah, of course, let's not forget about NTFS permissions. It's possibly incorrectly set permissions that is the problem the OP experiences rather than a busted registry key.

Tecknomage, you should run and post the output from Icacls here for one of the files that exist in your SendTo folder, but do not appear in your Send to context menu.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
02 Jul 2015   #28
tecknomage

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pyprohly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by UsernameIssues View Post
Maybe Tecknomage should check to see that the Send to folder is set to inherit and propagate the correct NTFS permissions.
Ah, of course, let's not forget about NTFS permissions. It's possibly incorrectly set permissions that is the problem the OP experiences rather than a busted registry key.

Tecknomage, you should run and post the output from Icacls here for one of the files that exist in your SendTo folder, but do not appear in your Send to context menu.
You are not specific enough.

"NTFS permission" I assume you mean something in Policies. Which?

"Icacls" not a term I am familiar with. Please explain.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2015   #29
Pyprohly

Windows 10, Windows 8.1 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, OS X El Capitan
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tecknomage View Post
"Icacls" not a term I am familiar with. Please explain.
Apologies. Icacls is a Command Prompt command that deals with viewing and setting NTFS permissions (never mind what those are).

For one of the items in your SendTo folder, Tecknomage, that does not appear in your context menu Send to, would you be able to open up a command prompt and enter in a command similar to
Code:
icacls "C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\EditPad Pro.lnk"
and take a screenshot or copy paste the command's output here so that we can determine if the permission settings on that file is correctly set.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
03 Jul 2015   #30
tecknomage

Windows 7 64bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Pyprohly View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by tecknomage View Post
"Icacls" not a term I am familiar with. Please explain.
Apologies. Icacls is a Command Prompt command that deals with viewing and setting NTFS permissions (never mind what those are).

For one of the items in your SendTo folder, Tecknomage, that does not appear in your context menu Send to, would you be able to open up a command prompt and enter in a command similar to
Code:
icacls "C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\EditPad Pro.lnk"
and take a screenshot or copy paste the command's output here so that we can determine if the permission settings on that file is correctly set.
Here's what I got:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Edward>icacls "C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo
\EditPad Pro.lnk"
C:\Users\Edward\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo\EditPad Pro.lnk NT AUTH
ORITY\SYSTEM(I)(F)
BUILTIN
\Administrators(I)(F)
Edward-
PC\Edward(I)(F)

Successfully processed 1 files; Failed processing 0 files

C:\Users\Edward>

C:\Users\Edward>

C:\Users\Edward>
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Problem - Win7 64bit Context [Send to]




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Send To Context Menu - Remove or Restore Default Items
How to Remove and Restore Default "Send To" Context Menu Items in Windows 7 and Windows 8 This will show you how to either remove or restore the default Send To context (right click) menu. This includes the Compressed (zipped) Folder, Desktop (create shortcut), Documents, Fax recipient, and...
Tutorials
Adding icon to Send To entry in context menu?
Is it possible to add icon to the Send To entry in the windows explorer context menu? http://imgur.com/EzyRSkC
Customization
Send to - Add or Remove from Context Menu
How to Add or Remove "Send to" from Context Menu This will show you how to add or remove "Send to" from the context menu of all users in Windows 7 and Windows 8. You must be logged in as an administrator to be able to do the steps in this tutorial. EXAMPLE: "Send to" Context Menu
Tutorials
move to expand context menu (like send to) ?
how can i create move to expand context menu (like send to) in win7 like picture shown in below i found this software Ajays Personal Website but it has bugs http://ajaybnl.x10.mx/images/moveto.jpg
Customization
How to restore 'Send to OneNote' context menu item in IE
I've just installed the new IE9 beta and the context right-click item 'Send to OneNote' disappeared (the corresponding add-ons in the command bar are OK but I don't want to use it to save viewing space). Could someone please advise how to restore it, what to enter into the registry? I've browsed...
Backup and Restore
Printer sharing problem on Win7-64bit
I've been helping a friend with his home network. He has a new, high-end PC with 6GB of RAM and a printer connected via USB port. He had an installation of Win7 RC/32-bit that worked but had started shutting down intermittently as its eval period had expired. I did a new install of Win7 32-bit,...
Network & Sharing


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 15:36.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App