Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: Can damage from a electrical surge be delayed?

26 Sep 2014   #11
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

I use Monster and Tripp-Lite surge protectors, both will repair or replace any damaged equipment connected to them. Thankfully, I`ve never had that problem

http://www.monsterproducts.com/power/Monster_Power.asp


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
26 Sep 2014   #12
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
I use Monster and Tripp-Lite surge protectors, both will repair or replace any damaged equipment connected to them. Thankfully, I`ve never had that problem
The two that saved me were Monster brand.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2014   #13
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post
My computer windows 7 is working now for the moment.

Bigmck,

Is that surge protector you have one of those line conditioners?
No, it is just a regular surge protector. I am not sure what a line protector is, but on the box it said Surge Protector. A good one will save you from damage. I stress you have to pay for a good one. The ten dollar ones are not worth even having. A week after the story I told above, I had another surge and again it fried the surge protector and saved the TV. I then decided to call the power company and they came out and repaired some stuff in the line that was causing the surges.

I thought all surge protectors were made to protect your equipment because they all offer to repair or replace your equipment if the surge protector fails. The only problem is I don't know if the surge came through the cable line, phone line (for faxing), or electric line or all the above.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

26 Sep 2014   #14
AddRAM

Windows 7 Pro x64 Windows 10 Pro x64
 
 

When you say cable line, do you mention that because of the ethernet cable coming from your router to your pc ?

That`s an excellent point to bring up, I also keep my router and switches connected to good surge protectors, and the Verizon router never gets switched off.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2014   #15
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by AddRAM View Post
When you say cable line, do you mention that because of the Ethernet cable coming from your router to your pc ?

That`s an excellent point to bring up, I also keep my router and switches connected to good surge protectors, and the Verizon router never gets switched off.

Yes, I have one of those combo router/modems that I rent from the cable company.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2014   #16
fireberd

Windows 10 64 bit
 
 

I used to get into power line problems, including surges, when I was still working as a LAN/WAN Network Manager. I had a wide support area for the network and my hardware help desk techs (all the SSA offices west of the Mississippi to the Rocky Mountains). A surge protector, unless it is a high $$ one, generally won't really do much. And, once you get a surge its time to replace the surge protector as it has sacrificed itself and is no longer protecting.

Many times we do not know when we get a surge so about once a year I replace the surge protector power strip I use with my stage music equipment. Murphy's Law has probably struck during the year.

As far as damage, IBM (the contractor we had for the terminal equipment at the offices) has documented many failures that were traced back to problems that happened previously. It may have even been 3 months ago, but it took that long for a component to fail. (Heat failures can be the same way).


I use UPS systems on my PC's and on my HD TV.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2014   #17
Ztruker

Windows 10 Pro X64
 
 

A good UPS is an excellent investment too. Isolates you from the short power dips and outages.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
26 Sep 2014   #18
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post

I thought all surge protectors were made to protect your equipment because they all offer to repair or replace your equipment if the surge protector fails. The only problem is I don't know if the surge came through the cable line, phone line (for faxing), or electric line or all the above.
If you get a cheap one for a few dollars, the surge will go right through it. They don't do much. The cheap ones don't guarantee protection. The two I had that fried and stopped the surge put out a humming noise so that I would know that a surge had happened. The strong odor that was put out by the surge protector burning was also a notification.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2014   #19
groze

W7 32 bit, Linux Mint Xfce 18 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by bigmck View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by groze View Post

I thought all surge protectors were made to protect your equipment because they all offer to repair or replace your equipment if the surge protector fails. The only problem is I don't know if the surge came through the cable line, phone line (for faxing), or electric line or all the above.
If you get a cheap one for a few dollars, the surge will go right through it. They don't do much. The cheap ones don't guarantee protection. The two I had that fried and stopped the surge put out a humming noise so that I would know that a surge had happened. The strong odor that was put out by the surge protector burning was also a notification.

In my city, I never seen a cheap surge protector that offers surge protection but doesn't guarantee protection. No one would buy those. I got the mid range that offers protection but doesn't cost $80.00 U.S. dollars.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
27 Sep 2014   #20
bigmck

Windows 7 Home Premium 32-Bit - Build 7600 SP1
 
 

None of them are going to replace that $1000 TV that gets blown out. There is a limit on the claims. The expensive one I bought has a $400 limit on claims. If you buy a $20 one, the claim limit will be lower. I wouldn't expect a small purchase to replace an expensive item fully. If your car gets a short in the wiring and burns up, the insurance company will not buy you a new car.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 Can damage from a electrical surge be delayed?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
Electrical problems with wiring
Hey! Think this is the right place for this. So the wiring is my house, not my PC, it's an old house with ancient wiring, no grounds and the power fluctuates and lights flicker at times. So for almost the past year I've had a $5,000 PC sitting gathering dust because I don't want to plug it in the...
Hardware & Devices
interference w/electrical water heater
I recently had an electrical water heater installed in my utility room, which is located on the bottom (2nd floor) of my house. The old one, which was gas operated, was having ignition problems and needed to be replaced. My router has always sat a foot away from the water heater, but ever since...
Network & Sharing
Electrical Contact Cleaner Spray
Recently, when I was having a problem with crackling noise on my HTPC. I took the suggestion of one poster on the forum, who suggested using a spray such as this, because it sounded good to me. However after doing so, instead of crackling, there was no sound at all. I've replaced the card,...
Performance & Maintenance
Any Electrical Danger?
*Sigh* sorry but this is another one of my electrical issue topics...but I think it could be serious, moreso than my other one. :cry: I recently (like two weeks ago) removed an old duplex receptacle outlet from one of my walls. I shut it off of course while removing it and I'm pretty sure at an...
Chillout Room
Gloves That Will Work Against Electrical Shocks
*Sigh* sorry for making two topics that weren't necessarily discussing the same thing...it was also so that I can get answers to each question since I'm used to always having my questioned partially answered when I group them all in one post. __________ I believe there are gloves that are safe...
Chillout Room
What old electrical items do you have?
Hello guys, Please post what old electrical items that you have. You may post photos of them as well explain what are and still used or not. Please reply soon. Mine are: 1. Philips VCR which is still used quite often. 2. 1970s Binatone Digital Alarm Radio Clock which still wakes me up...
Chillout Room


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:12.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App