Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: RAM 40% When nothing is running

04 Oct 2014   #11
Bravl

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bravl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Open Task manager --> Processes tab and check the list of processes running in the background.
Some process is eating up your RAM.

-Which Antivirus are you using?
Currently , I'm Using MalwareBytes
hmm........
How about disabling MalwareBytes and checking the memory usage.
That could possibly be the reason.
Turning off Aero might also help.
<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Get Process explorer from this link:Process Explorer
Upload a snapshot of the processes list.
I've made the screenshot






My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
04 Oct 2014   #12
Bravl

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bravl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by whs View Post
With only 2GB of RAM, 40% usage is normal.
But it used to have that when I opened up multiple programs , now it's 40% when no programs are running on the background
So what - you cannot save the other 60% or more for a rainy day. The more RAM the system uses, the better it is,

Open the Resource Monitor > Memory tab. That gives you a good picture. See picture below as an example.
So . How about this csrss.exe thingy?
should I be suspicious about it?
there's also no path in the csrss.exe properties
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2014   #13
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

csrss.exe is a critical system process and it is normal to have 2 instances running. Unless you select "Show details for all processes" in the file menu of process explorer it will be running with a non elevated account. Such an account does not have permissions to access company and other information for some system files. You need to slect this option to see this information. If the path is to windows\system32 it is likely legitimate.

The real problem with malware isn't in what you can see in Task Manager other other such utilities. It is what you don't see. Modern malware is very good at hiding itself.

The Process Explorer screenshot shows many details but not the big picture and that is what is really needed. Post a scrfeenshot of Process Explorer - System Information in the View menu. Do this when the problem appears.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

04 Oct 2014   #14
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

I killed csrss.exe once ... once.
My PC suffered an instant BSOD.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2014   #15
Bravl

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by LMiller7 View Post
csrss.exe is a critical system process and it is normal to have 2 instances running. Unless you select "Show details for all processes" in the file menu of process explorer it will be running with a non elevated account. Such an account does not have permissions to access company and other information for some system files. You need to slect this option to see this information. If the path is to windows\system32 it is likely legitimate.

The real problem with malware isn't in what you can see in Task Manager other other such utilities. It is what you don't see. Modern malware is very good at hiding itself.

The Process Explorer screenshot shows many details but not the big picture and that is what is really needed. Post a scrfeenshot of Process Explorer - System Information in the View menu. Do this when the problem appears.

View image: Capture3

^
thats what i got
My System SpecsSystem Spec
04 Oct 2014   #16
whs
Microsoft MVP

Vista, Windows7, Mint Mate, Zorin, Windows 8
 
 

You worry too much. There is nothing wrong with your system. Why don't you enjoy it.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2014   #17
LMiller7

Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
 
 

I agree with whs.
The system information screenshot shows nothing unusual. The process list shows nothing unusual either, except maybe for 17 chrome processes. That means quite a few tabs open. A 2 GB system seems to be running as well as can be expected under the circumstances.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2014   #18
Prithvi

Windows 8.1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bravl View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Prithvi View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bravl View Post

Currently , I'm Using MalwareBytes
hmm........
How about disabling MalwareBytes and checking the memory usage.
That could possibly be the reason.
Turning off Aero might also help.
<--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
Get Process explorer from this link:Process Explorer
Upload a snapshot of the processes list.
I've made the screenshot




I too am in agreement with "whs &LMiller7" after taking a look at your processes list.Everything is as it should be on a 2GB RAM PC.
But I recommend you to use firefox which uses less memory than chrome when it has many tabs open.Moreover firefox is the No.1 browser now. Internet Browser Software Review 2014 | Best Internet Browsers - TopTenREVIEWS
Good Luck!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2014   #19
Bravl

Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit
 
 

Thanks for all the help , this is enough to fuel my curiosity
I just went on full psycho when I known csrss.exe might be a potential trojan

Off Topic here , but what's the difference between a CPU usage and a Physical Memory usage?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
05 Oct 2014   #20
Prithvi

Windows 8.1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Bravl View Post
Thanks for all the help , this is enough to fuel my curiosity
I just went on full psycho when I known csrss.exe might be a potential trojan

Off Topic here , but what's the difference between a CPU usage and a Physical Memory usage?
Well,
Physical memory usage is the amount of RAM being consumed by any running program or process.
Simply,everything you see on your screen is temporarily stored in your RAM.
But, CPU usage describes how hard your processor is working to execute and run your programs.
Increasing both of them collectively gives a big boost to your PC.

*******By the way,never ever try to end the csrss.exe process.It is a main windows process which must be running.If you end it you'll get a Blue screen of death.**********


See this image.That's what you'll get.

My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 RAM 40% When nothing is running




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
!SASCore service running all the time, not running Superantispyware?
Found the the above service was running all the time and I only occasionally use SuperSpyware AntiSpyware as a standalone scan. This is solely as backup check to my Antimalwarebytes Pro. May I stop and disable it, and how would I remove it entirely? Thanks Glenn
General Discussion
Windows Update not running. Error Code 0xc8000247 when running SURT
Please help me out - I replaced my defective HDD with a new Samsung Spinpoint HDD, re-installed my Windows 7 image using the recovery DVDs, and can't update windows at all after that. I tried following the steps from Windows Update Posting Instructions - System Update Readiness Tool (SURT) and...
Windows Updates & Activation
Running dual Boot w/ Vista and Win 7, question on running programs
Greetings, New to the forum! I recently installed Win 7 on a second Hard drive. Is it possible to run the programs I had installed on the Vista Hard drive? Both are HD's are still installed. Thanks, Brad
General Discussion
BSOD running when running intel driver update utility and more apps
hello sorry if my post isnt great im a newbie here but for some time now ive been getting BSODs and finally figured out how to debug it with WinDbg (x86) and set the symbols for windows but i cant read the text. ive tried reinstalling my GPU and Java but no luck. when i try to run intel driver...
BSOD Help and Support
BSOD while running firefox. Computer has been running terrible.
I was not able to get perfmon /report to work, so I only have the BSOD report.
BSOD Help and Support
Two desktops running at the same time. Background programs running.
I noticed this issue a little while back. As I shutdown/restart my laptop, I notice it switches to a secondary desktop that has been running programs. A good example would be trying to open my Task Manager, I can Ctrl-Alt-Del and it will allow me to open Task Manager - however when I click on...
General Discussion


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 18:53.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App