Windows 7 Forums

Welcome to Windows 7 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find support and solutions for any problems regarding your Windows 7 PC be it Dell, HP, Acer, Asus or a custom build. We also provide an extensive Windows 7 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.


Windows 7: How to ping a server through a certain port?

11 Nov 2014   #21
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
I suspect that a lot of servers will "drop" (i.e. not respond to) ping requests to prevent malicious external activity.
Agreed.

The only way the connection can be made is if both the client and host agree on the handshake.


My System SpecsSystem Spec
.
11 Nov 2014   #22
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by lehnerus2000 View Post
I suspect that a lot of servers will "drop" (i.e. not respond to) ping requests to prevent malicious external activity.
Agreed.

The only way the connection can be made is if both the client and host agree on the handshake.
When I was studying Networking, it was recommended that we set up business servers using "drop packet".

Web servers must have a different way of dealing with this issue as I can ping "google.com".
My System SpecsSystem Spec
11 Nov 2014   #23
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

And drop is where you create a folder, A drop site that allows the client access to just the drop site, but not the actual servers?

Sure, you can ping google, but if you add a port it's an invalid command, right?
My System SpecsSystem Spec
.

12 Nov 2014   #24
lehnerus2000

W7 Ultimate SP1, LM18 MATE, W10IP VM, W10 Home, #All 64 bit
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
And drop is where you create a folder, A drop site that allows the client access to just the drop site, but not the actual servers?
My bad.

I meant "Drop Packet" (i.e. the server does not respond in any fashion).
"Reject Packet" sends a message to the sender.

I have heard of "honey pot" servers used to distract/divert hackers with poor skill levels.

Normally any server that has to be accessed by the public is in a DMZ (i.e. outside the main business network and its firewall).

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Sure, you can ping google, but if you add a port it's an invalid command, right?
I was not able to ping anyone if I added a Port number.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
13 Nov 2014   #25
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

Okay lehnerus thanks for clearing that up.

Well there you have it js, You'll have to find another way.
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2014   #26
jsharx

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
Okay lehnerus thanks for clearing that up.

Well there you have it js, You'll have to find another way.
Oh ok then, thanks
My System SpecsSystem Spec
15 Nov 2014   #27
Anak

Microsoft Community Contributor Award Recipient

Win 7 Home Premium 64bit Ver 6.1.7600 Build 7601 - SP1
 
 

I believe I can offer apologies from everyone for not being able to find a path for you.

The best way to find a communications link to mangabird.com would be to contact them directly and see what they have to say. Be totally up front with them.

If you're this interested in working with them and you can prove it, (would you / do you know how to translate their site into different languages?) there should be no problem, it may take a while on the proving side, but hey! who knows? you might become their next great developer!
My System SpecsSystem Spec
19 Nov 2014   #28
jsharx

Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit 7601 Multiprocessor Free Service Pack 1
 
 

Quote   Quote: Originally Posted by Anak View Post
I believe I can offer apologies from everyone for not being able to find a path for you.

The best way to find a communications link to mangabird.com would be to contact them directly and see what they have to say. Be totally up front with them.

If you're this interested in working with them and you can prove it, (would you / do you know how to translate their site into different languages?) there should be no problem, it may take a while on the proving side, but hey! who knows? you might become their next great developer!
Oh ok, well I wasn't planning on working with them but thanks for assisting me
My System SpecsSystem Spec
Reply

 How to ping a server through a certain port?




Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search




Similar help and support threads
Thread Forum
How do I ping a server continuiously?
Hey, I was just wondering what was the commands used to ping a server such as google continuously?
General Discussion
Need INF driver for server port HP 5600 printer Win 7
I am trying to set up a printer port to access a Linksys PSU4 print server. The print server works fine as it is being used from other computers on my home network. I have been trying to set up a spare eee netbook pc with win 7 print server but cannot set up the HP 5600 print server port. Every...
Drivers
Question about port forwarding for a private wow server
I've got a friend that approached me earlier today with the idea of running his own private wow server. While I know this is feasible, though maybe not with the hardware he is running, we are at a disagreement on whether or not it is possible for him to forward ports specifically for his computer...
Network & Sharing
Belkin Minecraft Server Port Help Needed
I want to setup a minecraft server, i need to portforward but use my static ip, how can i set it up when the port number columns are split in 2 http://i.imgur.com/0OIXf.jpg All i think i need to do is to add in the port number, i dont know what format it wants it in seeming the MC port number...
Network & Sharing
Port Forwarding query -- accessing Server from Internet
Hi all I have a Server connected to a fixed IP on local LAN say 192.168.0.7 Now I just want to use some client software REMOTELY (outside the LAN) which simply requires me to type in IP address + user / password. Now if my Router reports my current IP address as www.xxx.yyy.zzz is...
Network & Sharing
email server ping
I cannot seem to find any option that will automatically ping my email server from Windows Live Mail. In order to get mail, I must manually click in Sync. Is that option even available in WLM?
Browsers & Mail


Our Sites

Site Links

About Us

Find Us

Windows 7 Forums is an independent web site and has not been authorized, sponsored, or otherwise approved by Microsoft Corporation. "Windows 7" and related materials are trademarks of Microsoft Corp.

Designer Media Ltd

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 22:03.

Twitter Facebook Google+



Windows 7 Forums

Seven Forums Android App Seven Forums IOS App